Battery Facts...

1. TheMystic
    Lollipop Feb 4, 2019

TheMystic , Feb 4, 2019 :
    This thread is just another attempt to clear common misconceptions and to provide some clarity on what drains battery.

For most (almost all actually) users, your device battery usage is mostly as follows:
    • Hardware – 70% to 90%
    • Software – 10% to 30%

HARDWARE (70% to 90%)

1. Screen - more screen on means more battery. Brighter screen means more battery usage. This is the biggest consumer of battery.

2. Radios – although the actual hardware is ‘supposed’ to be identical, there are variations in every unit. Think of it as two cars of the same make and from the same brand. Are they truly identical? Answer is NO. So the battery usage by these radios, although expected to be similar, can still be different.

3. Signal strength - a weak WiFi or Network (mobile network, mobile data) signal means more battery usage. Also, dual sim means more battery usage.

4. Network provider – battery usage is a function of the sim service provider too, depending on how strong their signals are where you are located.

5. Location services - more apps and services using location means more battery usage.

6. Number of accounts - more accounts means more battery usage. Turn off automatic syncing for less important accounts, and disable sync for services that you don’t use for each account. For example, go to Settings/ Accounts and choose a Google account (if you use multiple Google accounts in your devices). For each account, your device is syncing between 8 to 10 services, namely, Contacts, People, Keep, Drive, Calendar, Gmail, etc.). I use only one account for my calendar, so I turn off calendar syncing for all my other accounts. Same applies for other services.

7. Vibration motor – disable/ lower intensity (if your OS/ Kernel permits) of vibration for longer battery life.

8. RAM: If your device has a higher RAM, it will consume more battery, i.e. a 12 GB Ram variant will use more battery than a 8 GB ram variant. This is because the RAM is a powered memory, and will hold information only as long as there is a continuous power supply (from the battery). Please note that this simply refers to the size of the RAM, and has nothing to do with how much of it is free. In other words, clearing apps to free RAM won't help. In fact, clearing RAM will increase battery consumption.

SOFTWARE (10% to 30%)

Your device performance and battery life is a direct function of how you use it. Each user is different, so what you get out of your device is also different from others. Here is a summary of some common battery drainers:

1. Number of apps – more apps means more battery use.
    2. Quality of apps – more junk apps means more battery use.
    3. Apps that use background service – if you have apps running one or more background services, be assured that these services consume your battery. Either live with it or look for ‘lite’ alternatives.
    4. Unused apps – If you must, then keep the apps as APKs, instead of having them installed.
    5. Junk apps – stay away from memory boosters, battery savers, CPU coolers, junk cleaners, etc. They do more harm, and almost always do no good to your device.

KERNELS & TWEAKS

1. Underclocking – don’t do it.
    2. Overclocking – don’t risk it.

Changing kernels, and implementing tweaks will never yield ‘significant’ benefits. Remember, anything that you do will only affect that 10% to 30% of battery drain caused by software. OEMs optimize the ROM for the built-in kernel, keeping in mind average use. Unless you have a very specific requirement, and you are absolutely sure of what you are doing, it is best for you not to play around with these things.

If you are the type of user that needs to charge your phone twice a day, you will still have to charge it twice a day, NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO!

GOOD PRACTICES

As a general rule, following would be some good practices for a good user experience:

1. Don’t swipe away apps from memory (from the Recents screen).
    2. Don’t keep clearing cache. Cache serves two functions:
    Speed up your device – your device will not have to re-do the same task again. And if cache has to be built from an online resource (think Google Photos and others), it will use internet data too, and depending on your network speed, this can lengthen the process, making your device slow.
    Extend your battery life – Yes. Cache building doesn’t come free. If your device has to rebuild cache, it will use hardware resources, network resources, meaning battery drain.
    3. Don’t run apps or services that are resource intensive. Resource intensive apps will wear your hardware faster, which will manifest as poor battery, lags, etc. This will, however, take a long time but it is good to keep that in mind. Should you stop playing games then? No. Avoid what you can. Example anti-virus apps. You don’t need them.
    4. Never let your device battery go below 10%.

Just use your device to do what you want. Don’t tinker with the system. The OS knows it better than you and you are best advised to let it do its things. Your job is just to set up the device, configure your apps and simply use them. Your OS is not an app for you to use it. It is just a platform for you to run your apps.

Here is an interesting article on the mechanics of charging:

https://sites.lafayette.edu/che324-sp17/2017/03/11/smartcharger/

WARNING

There are plenty of outdated articles on the internet that are either no longer applicable today, or can even be counter-productive. So follow advises with caution.

Check this out for simple tips on how to setup your phone for best user experience:

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/updated-2021-no-more-lags-freezes-battery-drain-heating.1415175/

Last edited: May 5, 2021

2. xnutzii
    Lollipop Feb 4, 2019

xnutzii , Feb 4, 2019 :
    Great clarification!

Might take a while to get some attention though...

Gor.V and TheMystic like this.
  3. pablofg1978
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Feb 7, 2019

pablofg1978 , Feb 7, 2019 :
    Good luck with that, we have 25 pages full of pm challenge threads

4. pablofg1978

It would be nice to mention the sources that you used to write this post

The1Lion likes this.
  5. xnutzii
    Lollipop Feb 7, 2019

xnutzii , Feb 7, 2019 :
    Yep, I've noticed.

6. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Feb 7, 2019

The1Lion , Feb 7, 2019 :
    It is interesting and helpful to mention what can be done as OS and hardware changes - meaning before users were trying to close apps to free memory or prevent them from using the battery in the background but now with improvements the OS is handling these tasks.

Sources used to obtain the information will go a long way in validating what is written, so I agree some edit to add sources would be helpful

pablofg1978 likes this.
  7. TheMystic
    Lollipop Feb 7, 2019

TheMystic , Feb 7, 2019 :
    as with much of what I write, the biggest source for me is my own experience with my devices, and several online sources that I read.

I would be happy to clarify any point that you may want to question or disagree with.

alessiodales and Dresa91 like this.
  8. Matt 80
    Lollipop Feb 7, 2019

Matt 80 , Feb 7, 2019 :
    Just imagine how many there's going to be by February 22nd!

malidan and Dresa91 like this.
  9. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Feb 7, 2019

The1Lion , Feb 7, 2019 :
    The point is if you were a user not familiar with how optimization works and you went online and did a search you'd find a lot of older info suggesting you close your recent apps, clear cache, etc... sure there would be new info as well but even users that are a bit knowledgeable may not be "updated" and I often see here on the forums suggestions of clearing cache for example. So having a link showing a bit more "official" stance would go a long way in convincing users of the correct approach. It's kind of like when growing up cars needed oil changed every 3 months. Newer cars don't need this but I'm sure depending on who you ask they'll tell you every 3 months. One of my cars recently bought only needs to be taken in for maintenance once a year. So as things change and technology improves, what was the rule of thumb previously is either just a practice in futility or may even defeat the purpose of the new advancements - such as clearing out all the stored battery usage stats causing the OS to now have to start from scratch...

10. TheMystic
    Lollipop Feb 7, 2019

I got your point. But as you rightly pointed out, there are many outdated articles on the web that still suggest outdated methods for troubleshooting which are either unnecessary today, or even counter productive at times.

My post is a collection of lessons learnt from various online sources (and tested with my own devices), so there is no one or two sources that i can quote which would elaborate on all of the points mentioned. If it existed, I wouldn’t have written them down myself.

While most would agree with most points, I would like to think that there could be a disagreement w.r.t cache cleaning. So here is an interesting article written in this community itself:

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...-and-battery-calibration-myths-busted.993896/

Dresa91 likes this.
  11. pablofg1978

Well, you can't say that this are "facts" based just on some personal experiences and articles that you read and you can't source ....
    I'm not saying that is wrong, but you should be able to source what you wrote

12. TheMystic
    Lollipop Feb 7, 2019

you turn off WiFi radio on your phone and you notice some battery savings. you repeat that and get the same result. you conclude turning off WiFi will save battery. that is fact according to me. what would you conclude about this observation?

as I said, you are free to dispute a point. if necessary, I will find a "source" for you.

13. pablofg1978

Again, I never said that what you said is wrong, but I think that your assumptions are far away to be a fact. I see this more like assumptions based on personal experiences.

14. TheMystic
    Lollipop Feb 7, 2019

there are no assumptions here. just observations and lessons.

you have to be more specific.

15. KeepTransisting
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Feb 7, 2019

KeepTransisting , Feb 7, 2019 :
    Very well put, @Sridhar Ananthanarayanan. I agree with your post 100%. Unfortunately, around here it will probably fall on deaf ears.

One tip I do have for people is using dark themes wherever you can. OLED panels are not LCD Panels. they don't have a "backlight". LCDs use the same amount of power whether they're displaying something black or something bright white. OLED panels, however, only use power for the lit pixels. so if you have dark backgrounds (pitch black if possible) and dark themes on all your apps, you can really help extend your battery life.

16. pablofg1978

Indeed, personal observations, without any source or proof.
    Again, I'm not saying that you are wrong, but the whole post can't be taken as fact without solid evidence.

17. TheMystic
    Lollipop Feb 7, 2019

again, you aren't being specific. if you disagree with a point, I can try and explain it to your satisfaction.

beyond that, no one is forced to believe any of what is written. people have the choice to accept or reject. you can even consider it a fiction. no issues from my side.

18. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Feb 7, 2019

dsmonteiro , Feb 7, 2019 :
    I'm actually halfway through a test to show how wrong that thread is. Clearing cache had no negative impact on battery life so far. In fact, it likely had a positive effect, by fixing an app that was draining battery life. More on that tomorrow.

As for your post, I find it odd that you don't mention actual abnormal battery drain, rather than just normal battery drain.

Wakelocks, for instance. A misbehaving app can easily kill your battery with little to no screen on time.

Also, can you explain how unused apps drain battery?

grouperb and YRJ like this.
  19. pablofg1978

The only part that I think you are wrong is on the title, these are not facts, just personal experiences.

20. TheMystic
    Lollipop Feb 7, 2019

clearing cache when an app misbehaves is known to help with a problem. I was referring to randomly clearing cache where a need doesn't exist.

several apps have a background service, and they get triggered by system events. so even though you may not be actively using an app, it is using system resources in the background.