Battery Optimization Changes Apps set from "Don't optimize" to "Optimize"

1. Boot
    Donut Jul 5, 2018

Boot , Jul 5, 2018 :
    Certain apps that I set to "Don't optimize" so that i can receive notifications keep getting set back to "Optimize" under Battery Settings. Why is Oxygen OS doing this?

2. akst
    Gingerbread Jul 6, 2018

akst , Jul 6, 2018 :
    it shows only few apps for which the battery optimisation is not enabled,like cell broadcasts, if u switch to "All apps" then it shows the apps for which the battery optimisation is enabled.

3. tuxkilla
    Cupcake Jul 10, 2018

tuxkilla , Jul 10, 2018 :
    Mine does this as well. Very annoying, enough to make the switch back to iOS. AKST, that is the worst answer I have ever read, it doesn't even come close to addressing the OP's question.

4. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 10, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe , Jul 10, 2018 :
    I have set to everything optimize and I receive notifications. No hiccups.
    Try setting only one app to Not Optimize and leave the rest optimized, try to see if that one app still reverts back.

5. Boot
    Donut Jul 13, 2018

Boot , Jul 13, 2018 :
    I have learned a little more.

Some apps (eg. Instagram) can be set to optimize and still receive notifications.

Other apps like Skype if set to optimize will not push notifications.

I have also figured out why apps revert back to "Optimize" from "Don't Optimize"

OxygenOS has a default setting for each app as to whether it Optimizes it or doesn't, these settings do not appear to be user definable in the OS. Every time an app is updated from the play store it reverts to its default Optimization setting acording to OxygenOS. This is very annoying and counter productive.

I really wish OnePlus, or someone at OnePlus would at least acknowledge these issues.:mad::mad::mad:

RobertOH, DvDarkman, hboa and 2 others like this.
  6. MarkyPancake
    Honeycomb Jul 13, 2018

MarkyPancake , Jul 13, 2018 :
    I've never messed around with the default battery optimisation and I didn't think to try it on the Pixel 2 I had recently either, but perhaps this behaviour is native to Android and not something that OxygenOS has caused. I don't have the Pixel 2 anymore to be able to compare though.

7. asvenningsson
    Cupcake Oct 30, 2018

asvenningsson , Oct 30, 2018 :
    This thread is getting old but I've been having this issue for quite some time as well. Specifically the ring app which is an app that relies on notifications to work at all times.
    Regardless of time of day or what type of network I'm connected to, the app shuts down and I miss notifications of ppl at my door. It's been going on for 9 months and it's getting very tiring.
    I've tried resetting the app, emptying cache, reinstalling without any success. Whenever I go to set the battery optimization to "don't optimize", it initially looks like it takes but then as I back out and see the list of apps it clearly says "optimized".

8. Sptzzz
    Cupcake Nov 2, 2018

Sptzzz , Nov 2, 2018 :
    I have the exact same issue. Always had it with my OP3T and it's independent of app updates. BlueMail for example, I can never get it to stick to "not optimized" for longer than 2 days, causing me to miss a crap ton of e-mails and it never EVER eventually wakes up, I need to open the app and only then I get 200 e-mails at once... I haven't found a way to fix this, this happens to almost all apps apart from the likes of telegram, whatsapp, etc.

It's causing me to contemplate root and screw oxygenos

9. E1541168409974
    Cupcake Nov 2, 2018

10. crhoman
    Cupcake Nov 20, 2018

crhoman , Nov 20, 2018 :
    So why has OnePlus Not fixed this? I have the same problem for several apps, Life Reminders and Alarm Clock Extreme. It is a problem with Battery Optimization. I turn it off for the app and within an hour or few it turns back on. It just won't stay off. Why? It would be helpful to be able to just turn it off for all apps. Hey OnePlus, why can't you fix this? I'm missing notifications and alarms, please help. This is on 5T with latest OS 5.1.7 as of this date.

DvDarkman and the_reckoner like this.
  11. crhoman
    Cupcake Nov 21, 2018

crhoman , Nov 21, 2018 :
    Does anyone at OnePlus ever answer these problems with a fix? Hey OnePlus, fix the damn problem and close out this thread. Or are the forums just a place for us to vent with no real hope of a solution? Is anyone listening?

12. DvDarkman
    Froyo Nov 21, 2018

13. Bontra
    Donut Nov 22, 2018

Bontra , Nov 22, 2018 :
    Another vote for how annoying this is and requesting a fix.

C'mon folks, you're alienating people that want to like your product but who will go elsewhere for their next phone when you don't fix things like this.

DvDarkman likes this.
  14. lbendezu
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2018

lbendezu , Dec 4, 2018 :
    Any updates on this? i'm very dissapointed with this error... i'm from Perú, using a OnePlus 3T

15. gezr
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2018

gezr , Dec 4, 2018 :
    Yep I too have noticed via a auto web log in app that periodically stops working due to defaulting to battery optimized. Quite annoying and surely easy to fix??!?!

16. Q1542727268717
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2018

Q1542727268717 , Dec 4, 2018 :
    I also have this problem using Everlance, I lost all my milage yesterday and today which I get reimbursed for because it switched back to optimize. Not cool. I'm new to OnePlus (6) and seeing that this has not been replied to by OP in 6 months does not look good.

DvDarkman likes this.
  17. shannara
    Cupcake Dec 7, 2018

shannara , Dec 7, 2018 :
    Same problem over here and it is F-king annoying.
    I'm missing reminders because of this because the app get's reset back to optimize.
    I have read several threads over here about this problem but there is no reaction AT ALL from OnePlus.
    This does not give me a good feeling about OnePlus.
    Does OnePlus takes it's fans serieus at all.
    Maybe you are already looking in to this, but let us know about it!!!!!!!

O wait, maybe I can set a reminder to see if all the necessary apps still have optimization OFF.
    Oh no, won't work. There was something with reminders...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018

18. Diego A. G. López
    Cupcake Dec 9, 2018

Diego A. G. López , Dec 9, 2018 :
    Same problem here. BlueMail notifications don't work with optimization option enabled and OS switch my set to not optimized. Please fix this problem.

19. DvDarkman
    Froyo Dec 9, 2018

DvDarkman , Dec 9, 2018 :
    folks in here, how many are TMobile device users and how many are unlocked on 9.0.7?

20. Ravit_B
    Eclair Dec 11, 2018

Ravit_B , Dec 11, 2018 :
    Same problem here.
    The way I see it - every time the app is updating the optimization goes back on.
    Can someone please address it??