Battery optimization keeps getting reset for WhatsApp

1. TrueGamer007
    Donut Feb 3, 2018

TrueGamer007 , Feb 3, 2018 :
    I have set WhatsApp to not optimise, but it keeps getting optimised and I miss messages and notifications.
    Please suggest a fix?

johnmon, Ravi BINAVAT and NiKuchroo like this.
  2. talimbayev
    Cupcake Feb 14, 2018

talimbayev , Feb 14, 2018 :
    Hey there. I have the same problem. I hope developers read this thread. I use OP3.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  3. NiKuchroo
    Cupcake Mar 6, 2018

NiKuchroo , Mar 6, 2018 :
    Ditto for me. If WhatsApp's 'Battery Optimize' is on, I do not receive push notifications. If i turn it off manually it gets turned back on automatically after some time. Looking for a solution

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  4. Ravi BINAVAT
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 6, 2018

Ravi BINAVAT , Mar 6, 2018 :
    1. Go to phone dialer app and dial *#800#
    2. Select the first option which says “oneplus Logkit”, delete history log
    3. Click “save log”
    4. Go to settings-battery, and take a screenshot of the battery consuming situation
    5. Enter oneplus Logkit, choose “other log info”, click “get top info”, “battery history” every several minutes and “get bugreport info” once
    6. Go back, choose save log again to stop it.
    Finally, enter files>internal storage>oem_log, find the folder, zip it and send it to us along with the screenshot

If battery drains most under normal use, please capture the log when you use normally. If it drains under long time standby, please start it before you go to sleep and finish when you wake up.
    It’s better to do it when battery is below 50%.

Thank you very much for your time.

5. pbernikier
    Froyo Mar 6, 2018

pbernikier , Mar 6, 2018 :
    can the issue be only when WhatsApp gets updated? like it's possible that the phone is recognizing what's up as a new app every time it gets updated from the Play Store. you should look into this and maybe only download WhatsApp updates every few weeks instead of every couple of days

gamebusterz likes this.
  6. Android450
    Marshmallow Mar 6, 2018

Android450 , Mar 6, 2018 :
    Why would you tell him to do this? He hasn't bothered to make a bug report and he would have no idea what to do with the logs

7. NiKuchroo
    Cupcake Mar 8, 2018

NiKuchroo , Mar 8, 2018 :
    nope it does not happen only when WhatsApp is updated. I monitored for this condition.

8. pbernikier
    Froyo Mar 8, 2018

pbernikier , Mar 8, 2018 :
    well in that case I would just assume that it's a bug and I'm sorry I wouldn't be able to help you with that

9. CosmoKramer70
    Jelly Bean Mar 8, 2018

CosmoKramer70 , Mar 8, 2018 :
    same thing happens for inbox and other apps. this happens when the app has been updated, its like the system thinks its a new app so it applies the settings accordingly.
    you'll just have a to live with it or when you feel like you havnt gotten a message just go and add it to the Do not optimize list.

10. atagent
    Donut Mar 11, 2018

atagent , Mar 11, 2018 :
    Same thing happening with mine. WhatsApp was updated a week ago, battery optimization was reset yesterday so it's not due to the update but a bug.

11. CosmoKramer70
    Jelly Bean Mar 12, 2018

CosmoKramer70 , Mar 12, 2018 :
    well we are going to find out. mods have reached out and asked to get them the logs, so im just waiting on 2 apps that i know that get reset so i can test out for them. hopefully it is an easy fix.

12. NiKuchroo
    Cupcake Mar 18, 2018

NiKuchroo , Mar 18, 2018 :
    I have the log but am not able to paste(gdrive link) it in the community app pm. I have a theory that the battery saver is the cause.

13. NiKuchroo
    Cupcake Apr 4, 2018

NiKuchroo , Apr 4, 2018 :
    issue still exists. primary issue is if battery optimization is switched on for WhatsApp, it does not sync messages. workaround, set it to do not optimize to sync. this gets reset whenever WhatsApp is updated. very irritating issue peculiar to OnePlus oxygen

14. CosmoKramer70
    Jelly Bean Apr 4, 2018

CosmoKramer70 , Apr 4, 2018 :
    What OS version you using?

its more likely a WhatsApp issue along with Oreo, not necessarily specific to OOS. i only say that cause not everyone is having the exact same issue as you otherwise it would definitely be a OOS issue. although the issue i was having i wasnt able to replicate the issue since the 5.0.4 update.
    have you tried clearing the data and wiping the cache of the app? make sure you backup your chats first before doing it.

15. harryvisser
    Cupcake Jun 7, 2018

harryvisser , Jun 7, 2018 :
    I have the same issue with OP3T on Oxygen 5.0.3 (newest available to me).
    It does however not occur to me with Whatsapp, but does with Oulook and Inbox after they receive an update through Google Play. Very annoying since I only find out something is wrong after not receiving mail notifications when waiting for certain mails.

16. NiKuchroo
    Cupcake Jun 8, 2018

NiKuchroo , Jun 8, 2018 :
    current version is 5.1.2.
    Firstly it's an issue of battery optimization that does not let the apps sync
    Second there is a bug with the workaround that sets battery optimization by default whenever the apps are updated (without checking the previously set option)

17. eckerse
    Cupcake Jun 8, 2018

eckerse , Jun 8, 2018 :
    Similar to me, OP3T with OS 5.0.3
    Several apps that I use for push notifications like K9, Whatsapp automatically switch to 'optimised'. But it seems not to be necessarily connected to Play Store updates. K9 received last update in January, but still it jumped several times from 'not optimised' to optimised in the last months.
    Like K9 I'm often using just for reading previews of notifications and read complete messages on PC if in range. I got the feeling that it jumps to optimised if I don't open the app itself for a few days. Other apps, like Threema stay in 'not-optimised' state even if updated via Play Store.

18. Gav_W86
    Starting Point Expert Jun 8, 2018

19. eckerse
    Cupcake Jun 8, 2018

20. Gokul Krishnan Y
    Cupcake Jul 4, 2018