Battle of ROMs: OOS 3 vs CM 13 official (Personal review)

1. smrdelj
    Gingerbread Jun 16, 2016

smrdelj , Jun 16, 2016 :
    Hello everyone. Yesterday I did the following test to contrast OOS302 with official CM13 latest build up to now, in the most possible features.

First of all, i want to make clear that I am a selfless user, and therefore did this experiment only to finish defining what ROM i would finally use. I say "finally", since previously had a preference for OOS, but I'm sure that this has not distorted my experiment, but nevertheless was impartial and objective.

Of course, this does NOT mean that my conclusions are determinants judge, trenchant, unmistakable or anything like that. It is only the results that I obtained at a given time, and we all know that are subject to variables that are not fixed or strictly identical, so I insist emphasize that this experiment is a specific case, and it serves at most as indicardor, but not as unquestionable truth.

No more previous notes, here what I tested:

Devices used
    Two OnePlus 2 bought the same day, USA version. I will henceforth identify as OPT1 and OPT2

Therefore, all tests were made/performed with both phones side by side in real time.

Software
    OPT1: TWRP by Grarak + OOS 302 + boeffla kernel beta2 (settings stock) + SuperSU 2.74

OPT2: TWRP by Grarak + CM13 Official 0614 + gapps micro 0614 + boeffla kernel beta4 (settings stock) + supersu 2.74 + OOS Camera v3

Both connected to the same WiFi network

TESTS AND RESULTS
    (All information without specification, in honor of brevity)

-boot time: CM13 won narrowly

-fps speed: tied

-battery: tied
    *life (one and a half day, 4.30min SOT)
    *charging speed (about 60% in one hour)​

-audio quality: OOS3 won in all categories
    *headphone
    *speaker
    *bt speaker
    *calls

-signal speed / strengh: tied
    *WIFI
    *LTE

-Camara: OOS3 won comfortably in all categories
    *Photo
    *video
    *drivers (some software like FV-5 Cam suffers from restrictions on CM13 for lack of proper drivers, like less advanced options in manual mode. On OOS3 software runs flawless as it should)

-UI Smoothness: tied

-Speed tests: OOS3 overall winner
    *Real world:
    browsing chrome (OOS3 won)
    youtube (tied)
    maps render (tied)​
    *Benchmarks:
    Antutu (OOS3 won by far)
    Basemark OS II (OOS3 won by far)
    Geekbench (tied)​

-Most Advanced options / tweaks offered by default: CM13 won

-Most Customizable OS by default: CM13

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, In general terms, I confirmed my preference for OOS , so I'll stay with it. Beyond that some of the tests were subjective, I think the experiment was quite impartial and fair . I decided to share it with the community in case any of you find it useful . But I'm not willing to discuss the findings nor enter in a game of rebuttals. I just shared my experiment to whoever wants to take it, or leave it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016

2. Joyyy
    Jelly Bean Jun 16, 2016

3. kevinpc97
    Gingerbread Jun 16, 2016

kevinpc97 , Jun 16, 2016 :
    Just a personal experience, but when I flashed boeffla beta 2, I felt like I got less battery performance than stock kernel on OOS 3.0.2

smrdelj likes this.
  4. dibyojyoti
    Gingerbread Jun 16, 2016

dibyojyoti , Jun 16, 2016 :
    I too feel handicapped with lack of manual focus option support in fv 5 app with any rom apart from stock. Though manual camera works in most and oos camera flashed also work but fv 5 doea give better results

smrdelj likes this.
  5. pppttl
    Gingerbread Jun 16, 2016

6. smrdelj
    Gingerbread Jun 16, 2016

smrdelj , Jun 16, 2016 :
    i haven't tested it, but i would anyway keep boefflas because of kcal. Thanks anyway!

yes, for me fv5 pro is best cam, and i also could never get it work properly in any ROM but oos

7. bokdoyagee
    Gingerbread Jun 16, 2016

8. smrdelj
    Gingerbread Jun 16, 2016

smrdelj , Jun 16, 2016 :
    honestly I could not recommend any particular one. I am currently using for several days last published in xda by ThePeterle .
    In fact , I was also asking for recommendations , but no one answered me . I started to try , and now you just mentioned is the one I liked

bokdoyagee likes this.
  9. pure.by
    Gingerbread Jun 20, 2016

pure.by , Jun 20, 2016 :
    Don't know about profiles, but I would certainly recommend everyone to disable hotplugging on all clusters (on A53 it's off by default, A57 cluster you must put in 4:4 core mode @633 MHz minimum.)

Believe it or not, this will dramatically improve both battery life and performance.

bokdoyagee and smrdelj like this.
  10. victuringan
    Cupcake Jun 20, 2016

victuringan , Jun 20, 2016 :
    How do you disable hotplug? Can you show a screenshot? Thank you

11. pure.by
    Gingerbread Jun 22, 2016

pure.by , Jun 22, 2016 :

Attached Files:

12. pure.by
    Gingerbread Jun 22, 2016

pure.by , Jun 22, 2016 :
    Disabling hotplugging actually means that all CPU cores will always stay on.

A popular belief is/was that switching off cores saves battery, as they are not consuming any power when off. This is not quiet true, as the very process of constantly switching the cores on and off (=hotplugging) is not at all battery friendly.

With hotplugging disabled, when cores are not needed they go to sleep instead of going offline. When they are needed, they clock to the necessarily speed very quickly which of course is good for performance and for the battery as well since juice doesn't get wasted on powering the cores on.

13. ant_mir
    Honeycomb Jun 22, 2016

ant_mir , Jun 22, 2016 :
    The camera port works like in OOS3... Explain the differences, please...
    I believe sound is equal on OOS3 and CM13, since both uses diracHD technology...

14. Deactivated User
    Jun 22, 2016

15. ant_mir
    Honeycomb Jun 22, 2016

ant_mir , Jun 22, 2016 :
    No. It has dirac audio embebed in the kernel!
    AudioFX is a tuner!

16. smrdelj
    Gingerbread Jun 22, 2016

smrdelj , Jun 22, 2016 :
    1. Camera: as i already explained, software like fv-5 cam doesn't work properly, apparently due to drivers issues (manual mode is limited, while that doesn't happen on oos3, where software works fine).
    Leaving that issue a side, As regards picture and video quality, i simply like it more on oos3 (better dark/low light). But it's a personal opinion, obviously.

2. Audio: i just don't like overall quality on cm13. Specially when going louder, when a lot of noise could be easily notice with headphones. I don't like bass also. BUT consider that i tested 0614 build, when audio bug was yet reported. I don't know if it's now solved in newer builds.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016

17. victuringan
    Cupcake Jun 25, 2016

victuringan , Jun 25, 2016 :
    IT DRAINS FASTER YOU Scam!

18. jssonf1984
    Honeycomb May 20, 2017

jssonf1984 , May 20, 2017 :
    Thanks, interesting. I am installing unofficial CM 13 by @Seraph08 I believe it has HAL camera built in. I work weekends and need a stable phone so I'll probably give it a test run next week. I just am not interested in nougat yet, no xposed.