Baymax's Multi-Day Review - OnePlus 5T Lava Red

1. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Feb 23, 2018

Baymax , Feb 23, 2018 :
    Hello everyone,

As you all know that I am the one and only Baymax, and I don't remember quite where I was going with this intro to begin. So, let me just sort of start over here...

Hello everybody, your neighborhood friendly Baymax here with another review for you all. This one will be a multi day review in order to tick every box that I can for this review. So go and get your drinks and popcorn, strap in and enjoy this ride!

First of all I would like to thank @Crystal Z. And OnePlus for sending this out to me. I was surprised to hear that it's already sold out in the USA, so I am very glad to have this one!

What I will be doing:
    • Unboxing
    • Screen review
    • Camera review
    • Sound review
    • A short speed test (may come after the conclusion, I have been quite busy)
    • Overall conclusion of the package
    What I will NOT be doing:
    • Water test
    • Bend test
    • Flame test
    • Drop test
    • Blend test
    • Or any other form of torture to the device
    Now that we have all of that out of the way, let's get to the unboxing of this device.

Here is the box:
    IMAG1303.jpg IMAG1302.jpg

Whew 128GB! But onto the unboxing.

Which will be in video format... And will be posted below.

Unboxing video:
    (Coming soon; might not post due to the good traction behind the stop motion gif below)

Stop motion unbox gif:
    [​IMG]

Phone photos:
    IMG_20180223_154946.jpg IMG_20180223_154953.jpg IMG_20180223_154957.jpg IMG_20180223_155002.jpg

Setting up the Device:
    So, you know how all of those photos had the screen off? Yeah... I was so excited just having it that I didn't even turn on the screen. So second day, here I am pressing the power button for 3 seconds, watching the boot screen just go through really quick and bringing me to... A generic screen for Android phones with a "Let's Go" button.
    IMG_20180224_073718.jpg

Of course hitting said let's go button has something unique. A choice of fonts. While I normally do like Roboto to keep all of my phones uniform, I think I will try OnePlus Slate this time
    IMG_20180224_073857.jpg

Next some stuff about joining the user experience. I'm going to be honest. I don't ever join things like this. Sorry OnePlus.
    IMG_20180224_074106.jpg

Then
    • Insert Sim screen → I will insert sim later.
    • Welcome to ONE PLUS A5010 screen → I always do a fresh start.
    • Get Connected screen → I'll set this up in a little bit.
    • Date & Time screen → I set date and time.
    • Name screen → hit "Next"; I normally don't add a name
    • Face Unlock screen → I will set this up later; "skip anyway"
    • Google Services screen → User preference here. I usually slide the "send system data to off"
    • Anything Else? Screen → "ALL SET"
    And I am finally into the device. A bit of steps to do so, but I am in.

Screen Review:
    Okay, so we all know the trend of 2017, and apparently 2018, is the 18:9 screen. How does this stack up though? Is 1080p good, is AMOLED good? See where I am going here? If you didn't catch the exact drift off this; I have the 5T and two other devices in front of me. Just for this part of the review.

So I have 3 devices whose colors side by side would make it look like this was a Budweiser commercial. (black, blue, and red) From left to right: Galaxy S8+, Honor 7X, and OnePlus 5T. All similar form factor. S8+ has QHD on to compare the AMOLED screens. Honor 7X has LCD to compare. All three have been loaded with a picture of an individual, who for all intensive purposes we will call "nondescript Japanese dude".
    IMG_20180224_081432.jpg
    So here all devices are at default brightness. Nondescript Japanese dude looks a little bit dark on the Honor 7X with the S8+ and the 5T really making him pop to life. Honestly it is hard to tell which one looks better. But the default brightness of the S8+ is a tad brighter than the 5T. Both of the AMOLED screen brightness are acceptable though.
    A respectable performance from the 5T in this part.

Case Review:
    So, the thing is... I want to show this thing off. I don't want it unprotected though. So one thing I pretty much always do is purchase a case for my device. So, here to showcase the cases I narrowed it down to, is my cat Nala.
    IMG_20180226_130052.jpg
    From left to right:
    • Ringke Fusion in smoke black (package is opened; just opened it to compare the size of the device to the 3T)
    • Basstop Ultra Slim (the packaging doesn't even say this; I had to go back to the Amazon order to find the name)

So, let's go ahead and start with the Ringke. It is a known brand name with many many cases for a wide range of devices. The Fusion is a cross between a TPU bumper and polycarbonate plastic. In my case the TPU is a translucent black on the edges with a clear polycarbonate plastic back piece. The oversized fingerprint sensor cutout is a bit annoying though. I love the textured power button though.

IMG_20180226_131932.jpg IMG_20180226_132126.jpg IMG_20180226_132149.jpg _IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Pictures do not do it any justice. It truly is a great looking case. With just the right amount of black translucent material to contrast it from the back. On to the Basstop case though.

Basstop is not a known case name at all. They don't even put the name on the packaging. Needless to say, this was a little bit sketchy to me. Eh. I'll let it slide though.

So, the Basstop overall... Looks and feels... Cheap. It has a matte black bumper on the sides which is more slippery than the floor of a shower without any grip. I am not impressed. I do not feel like it is firmly in my grip, the camera cut out with microphone and the flash cut outs are a little bit too low; thus making them closer to the top of the cut outs and triggering my OCD, and finally the fingerprint sensor cutout is just too big. It is completely oversized (I have the same gripe about the one on the Ringke too). While it is nice that Basstop did a good job aesthetically for the buttons, it wasn't needed.

IMG_20180226_153252.jpg IMG_20180226_153820.jpg IMG_20180226_153848.jpg IMG_20180226_153904.jpg IMG_20180226_153910.jpg

Well, now for the verdict here. Both cases are good, but not great. I will need a case for my 5T though so a choice must be made. I will be choosing the Ringke Fusion. It is just overall a better case to me. I prefer the grippiness of it over the slipperiness of the Basstop. I love the textured home button. It is things like this which just sell the product for me. Though if you know of any clear or clear back cases I should try then please post them below.

Case Review Part 2:
    So, a few days have passed. I decided to continue my search for the best clear case for the 5T so I can show off my Lava Red in all its glory. I came across the Nillkin Nature case and... I like it.

IMG_20180307_171848.jpg IMG_20180307_173812597.jpg IMG_20180307_172004.jpg IMG_20180307_172046.jpg IMG_20180307_171935.jpg

It is thin but manages to tick a lot of boxes here. Has a raised lip for the rear camera, outlines on buttons, and textured sides to keep the device from slipping from your hand (one side even says "Discover Innovation"). I always feel like I have a great grip on the device with this case on. It still has the gigantic opening for the fingerprint sensor, but every case I own does too. I guess I can't take off too much for that. But there are other flaws. I feel like the Nature is flimsy as I feel the sides wobble when picking up the device. I don't feel like this case will fall off either though. So, Nillkin has made a solid case here. Everything is cut out so precise. I think this is case I will be using unless I decide to return to the Ringke Fusion or unless Poetic makes an Affinity case for the 5T (just my favorite case preference; others are entitled to preference too).

Sound Review:
    So today the weather was uncooperative and not permitting for the camera review. So, I decided not to chance it with the 5T and decided instead to just go on with the Sound review. So, I went ahead and grabbed the Razer Phone...

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Needless to say this test was a bit overkill. The Razer Phone sounded more full than the 5T and that was to be expected considering the stereo vs mono speakers. I don't think that the Razer Phone will be knocked off its throne anytime soon. It was respectable for a mono speaker though.

Headphones Sound Review:
    So, as we all know the 5T has a headphone jack. Something that seems to be disappearing on many devices as of 2017. So, I plugged my Soundmagic E10C to my 5T and started up a FLAC file and it sounded rich and full-bodied coming through the earphones themselves. Excellent sound by the fact I listen to audio in its RAW state.

Camera Review:
    So, this is where this review sort of is a bit pulled every which way like Mr. Fantastic or Stretch Armstrong. The real question here is "Is it the camera or the photographer?" Well, in order to pull out all of the stops, I have decided to take the human aspect out of the equation. Enter the DJI Osmo Mobile.

IMG_20180301_140245_2.jpg IMG_20180301_142926.jpg

Though I did take 1 manual shot. 1 primary (1x zoom) and 1 secondary (2x zoom)

The Osmo Mobile will allow me to have a precise photo from the camera. We shall see if it is the camera or the photographer. I used the DJI Go app and the OnePlus camera app; here are the results of each. *none of these photos were modified in any way*

Indoor (nominal light) :
    [​IMG]

Outdoor (natural sunlight) :
    [​IMG]

Outdoor (natural sunlight) + HDR :
    [​IMG]

Panorama :
    [​IMG]

Indoor (low light no flash) :
    [​IMG]

Indoor (Flash on) :
    [​IMG]

Outdoor (natural sunlight 1x zoom) :
    [​IMG]

Outdoor (natural sunlight 2x zoom) :
    [​IMG]

Outdoor (1x zoom handheld [no osmo]) :
    [​IMG]

Outdoor (2x zoom handheld [no osmo]) :
    [​IMG]

So the choice is yours to decide. Is it the camera or the photographer that is the issue?

Conclusion of the Package:
    So, what all can I say about the 5T. Here's one... I am surprised. Battery life has been great (Doesn't top Razer Phone though), charging has been a breeze (just 30 minutes each day), the screen doesn't bother me, camera is decent, sound quality is great (but doesn't top the Razer Phone), and Price is quite good for what you get for the money.

If you want the highest quality of every piece of phone hardware, then the 5T is not for you. I would recommend Samsung, Razer, or HTC personally. (maybe Google will fix up their build game for the Pixel 3 series?)

However, if you want quality that is industrial and can hold its own without paying a kidney, then the 5T is for you.

It really just comes down to preference. The 5T is a great piece of hardware with top notch specs under the hood, good build materials, well placed fingerprint sensor, and has a decent camera. I honestly can't ding it anywhere on build quality. The camera may improve over time. (A camera is half hardware and half software after all.) As far as what the future holds, I feel like the 5T can handle it head on. This is only my opinion though.

Thank you all for reading the full review of the 5T in Lava Red. I will be around to answer any questions you all may have about the product. :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018

2. Matt 80
    Lollipop Feb 23, 2018

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018

3. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Feb 23, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe , Feb 23, 2018 :
    This line made me laugh: "As you all know that I am the one and only Baymax, and I don't remember quite where I was going with this intro to begin."

[​IMG]

Getting my popcorn ready!!! :D

idkwhoiam322, pa5t1s, Ash645 and 11 others like this.
  4. meatandy
    Oreo Feb 23, 2018

5. izzykasha
    Lollipop Feb 23, 2018

6. eye842
    Lollipop Feb 23, 2018

7. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Feb 23, 2018

Dr. Indest , Feb 23, 2018 :
    Dude, write a review on how fast it is to flash! I don't know how fast this phone truly is :p:rolleyes:.

8. Deactivated User
    Feb 23, 2018

9. NeVeR_SeTTLe

Photos look very appealing. When you hold your OnePlus 3T and OnePlus 5T, which one feels better?

idkwhoiam322, pa5t1s and meatandy like this.
  10. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Feb 23, 2018

Baymax , Feb 23, 2018 :
    I am out for an hour so I will answer this when I get back

11. Intruder71
    Lollipop Feb 23, 2018

Intruder71 , Feb 23, 2018 :
    Oww no blend test! Spoil sport :D
    Edit since your in the us can we have a 50 cal test pretty please lol

idkwhoiam322, pa5t1s, Ash645 and 3 others like this.
  12. Rizla
    Jelly Bean Feb 23, 2018

Rizla , Feb 23, 2018 :
    I'd say the 3 feels better than the 5T. The 3 feels safe in your hand where as the 5T feels like it could slip out your hand at any moment.

idkwhoiam322, pa5t1s, Ash645 and 2 others like this.
  13. Intruder71
    Lollipop Feb 23, 2018

Intruder71 , Feb 23, 2018 :
    I don't think there is much in it, many a time my 3 slipped from my grip mate..

14. NeVeR_SeTTLe

And what about the material quality?

15. Rizla
    Jelly Bean Feb 23, 2018

Rizla , Feb 23, 2018 :
    You think man? I never had a cover on my 3 as it always felt safe in my hands. I wouldn't dare have my 5T without a cover as it's just to slippy.

Again my vote would goto the 3, it just looked and felt super premium. I know both use anodised aluminum but the coating on the 5T makes it look pretty cheap and plain looking. I thought I'd have liked the midnight black material better but I was pretty disappointed in it tbh. The lava red might be different of course.

Ps. Sorry for hijacking your thread @Baymax I hate when people do that and here I am doing exactly that :oops:

16. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Feb 24, 2018

Baymax , Feb 24, 2018 :
    Okay I am back. Are you talking about with or without case?

17. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Feb 24, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe , Feb 24, 2018 :
    Without the case

18. Baymax

Baymax , Feb 24, 2018 :
    It's cool bud I'm always open to discussion. This is also still on topic so don't worry too much about it.

pa5t1s, Hydra Bob, meatandy and 2 others like this.
  19. Baymax

Baymax , Feb 24, 2018 :
    One moment while I take off the 3T case

pa5t1s, meatandy and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  20. Punk_69
    Lollipop Feb 24, 2018

Punk_69 , Feb 24, 2018 :
    Well all the four slipped from my hand - 3,3t,5,5t....

Oneplus better start making sandstone back phones in the regular editions

pa5t1s, Ash645, Rizla and 2 others like this.