Baymax's Progressive Review - Essential Phone

1. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Apr 27, 2018

Baymax , Apr 27, 2018 :
    [​IMG]
    Hello everyone,

I am back with yet another progressive review. This time of the Essential Phone (PH-1) which bears a small resemblance to the Sharp Aquos S2 which I just reviewed. As we all know the Essential Phone turned a lot of heads in the tech industry. Despite all that it received backlash the likes of "skip it", "save your money", "not worth it". With the sudden price drop though, it had my name written all over it.

The Essential Phone has all the makings of a 2017 smartphone. A high range processor, a screen with a larger aspect ratio than 16:9, and a dual camera system.

So how good or bad is it as a package? That's what i'm here to help you decide. [​IMG]

Screen and Build

The first thing I want to start with here is the build and the screen. The build is excellent. Sides of titanium, and ceramic on the entire back of the device. Gorilla Glass 5 covers the 5.7 inch LCD display with the notch (more on that in a second). It is also up to the times with USB Type C and Fast Charging.

It has a rather small form factor. Fitting the 5.7 inch screen into this sort of form factor is quite an accomplishment in and of itself.

Back to the notch though... it is the same story as the Sharp Aquos S2. It does not bother me. I switched it to my daily driver yesterday just to psych myself into using it for at least a short time.

As a bit extra, the screen of the Essential even turned the head of the BayDad who recently got the LG V30+. Quite a good impression on him.

Security

Alright, this is where Essential did somthing right. It did not matter if my hands were wet or anything. It always recognized my finger and unlocked the device.

It is not as fast as the fingerprint scanner on the OnePlus 5T, but in all terms it has always been able to read my fingerprint. So I feel like the trade off here is more fingerprint security for a slower speed which I do not mind. There is no facial unlock.

Camera

Alright, forgive this part today as my fun factor is at an all time low. When the Essential Phone came out the word used to describe the camera was: potato. Okay, not really but they thought it. The Essential Phone received some updates and I think it has a quite competitive camera now. I'll let you decide if potato layered on a potato or not a bad picture. Keep in mind i was adjusting to the camera over this time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I may add in the 360º camera photos later on

Interface
    It's stock android. Not much to see.
    [​IMG]

Android P Preview
    (coming soon)

Last edited: May 9, 2018

AntMunny, Loveit, meatandy and 17 others like this.
  2. pa5t1s
    User of the Year 2014 Apr 27, 2018

pa5t1s , Apr 27, 2018 :
    Eagerly waiting for your review : Essential's phone is not available this side of the Atlantic Ocean... ;)

meatandy, Tobikage, Bobbie63 and 3 others like this.
  3. dinjesk
    KitKat Apr 27, 2018

dinjesk , Apr 27, 2018 :
    let me wait with you.:cool:

4. pa5t1s

Bobbie63, Baymax, Punk_69 and 2 others like this.
  5. Aman Singh gurjar
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 27, 2018

Baymax likes this.
  6. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Apr 27, 2018

7. pa5t1s

pa5t1s , Apr 27, 2018 :
    oCChJpO.gif

8. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Apr 27, 2018

9. pa5t1s
    User of the Year 2014 Apr 28, 2018

10. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Apr 28, 2018

Lancelot_69 and pa5t1s like this.
  11. pa5t1s
    User of the Year 2014 Apr 28, 2018

pa5t1s , Apr 28, 2018 :
    Coincidence... :D

Baymax likes this.
  12. meatandy
    Oreo Apr 28, 2018

meatandy , Apr 28, 2018 :
    How soon can we expect your insights into the camera and stock camera app?

Punk_69, Lancelot_69 and Baymax like this.
  13. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Apr 28, 2018

Baymax , Apr 28, 2018 :
    I'll do that 3rd since it was something really drawing people away from the device

Edit: everyone, security section is up

Punk_69 and meatandy like this.
  14. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert May 9, 2018

Baymax , May 9, 2018 :
    Camera and Interface are up
    As well as a spoiler. okay fine. I am flashing Android P Preview on the Essential.
    Couldn't hold that spoiler back. [​IMG]

meatandy, Punk_69 and Tobikage like this.
  15. Punk_69
    Lollipop May 9, 2018

Punk_69 , May 9, 2018 :
    Niicee

meatandy likes this.
  16. meatandy
    Oreo May 9, 2018

meatandy , May 9, 2018 :
    Aren't you supposed to put your phone away during church time? :eek::rolleyes:

17. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert May 9, 2018

Baymax , May 9, 2018 :
    that was a reception afterward. [​IMG]

meatandy likes this.
  18. AntMunny
    KitKat Jun 12, 2018

Baymax likes this.