Baymax's Top 5 Phones of 2018

1. Baymax Starting Point Expert Jan 10, 2019

Baymax, Jan 10, 2019 :
    Hey all

It's a new year, so new phones will soon be out soon. I want to take a moment and look back at the devices which got us to this point in 2018 though.

First and foremost, I wasn't impressed by any of the iPhones in 2018, so this list will be primarily Android phones.

So to kick off this list I want to give an honorable mention to...

The Poco/Pocophone F1
    While I won't deny it is an okay device, it just simply does not have bands for the US. It ticks many of the other boxes like price and internals, but simply for not having US bands it misses this list.

Now that is out of the way... Onwards to the Top 5...
    The top 5 here were so close to each other that it was really hard to decide. So for #5 I am giving it to...

The HTC U12+
    It really is a shame it did not get more traction. It may have some interesting design cues (being buttonless and all), but it is what you would expect from an HTC device. Premium build materials, a competitive pair of cameras, Boomsound, and a light version of Android.

#4 I give to...

The Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
    The Mix 2S still follows the bloodline of the OG Mi Mix, which isn't a bad thing. It is a no frills device and was a joy to use even with a few drawbacks. Has a pretty good camera, dual mono speakers, ceramic back, and nearly full screen display. I was not impressed by the Mix 3 as large moving parts like that will have a sacrifice of structural integrity. I like my phones to be durable.

#3 I give to...

The Honor View 10
    Yeh, there was a black sheep and it knew just what to do! The View 10 is truly the black sheep here. Not only did I not ever plan on getting one, but I really did not think it would be as powerful as it is. The build materials might be old by today's standards, but it is truly a solid device. I really can't complain too much. I put Lawnchair Launcher on it and that automatically made the skin of EMUI feel a bit quicker. Great device.

#2 and #1 were so close that the line between the two were very thin. This was probably the hardest part of an already hard top 5.

#2 goes to...

The Samsung Galaxy Note 9
    Hear me out. The Galaxy Note 9 is a great device. I like it a lot but I still am not a fun of Touchwiz. (One UI now but still Touchwiz at heart) It has a great set of features, but where it falls short of first for me is that I really can't find any reason why anyone would upgrade to it from something like a Note 8. Sure internally it has a lot of extra goodies, but to the untrained eye and person, it is just a beefy Note 8. It is simply another Samsung. Nothing has really changed from it. Not any large changes like Note 5/7 to the Note 8. I would like to know why one should upgrade to a Note 9 if they already have a Note 8. It is a great package as a whole, but I just can't answer that one question.

And #1 is...

The OnePlus 6 / 6T
    The OnePlus 6 and 6T are nearly the same device with the 6T having some upsides and some downsides over the 6. For instance, the upsides are a smaller teardrop notch and bigger battery; whereas the downsides, to some, may be an inferior fingerprint sensor and lack of LED. The rest is the same and for the price you really can't go wrong. I always feel myself returning to my 6 no matter the times . I switch devices for review purposes. Something about it always ropes me back in. One of the answers to questions I cannot answer similar to why one would upgrade to a Note 9 from a Note 8.

So this is my Top 5.
    I would be curious to know what your top 5 is as well.

Wahoux, Ruby G., buntycubal and 2 others like this.
  2. meatandy Nougat Jan 10, 2019

meatandy, Jan 10, 2019 :
    Let me think on my top 5 a minute.
    #1 Note 9
    #2 (Tie) op6T /S9
    #3 IP10
    #4 OP 6
    #5 LG V40

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

buntycubal, The1Lion and Baymax like this.
  3. The1Lion Lollipop Jan 10, 2019

The1Lion, Jan 10, 2019 :
    Fan boy! :p

My top 5 were all iPhones because all the andriod phones stole the notch from the OG Apple :rolleyes::p

That being said, I bought a 6 :oops: It was shiny and new and Red!!! o_O:cool:

4. Baymax Starting Point Expert Jan 10, 2019

Baymax, Jan 10, 2019 :
    :screamcat:
    me?!
    a fanboy?!

I had no idea!:fearscream:

David Y., Wahoux, Android450 and 2 others like this.
  5. nyzproof333 Jelly Bean Jan 10, 2019

nyzproof333, Jan 10, 2019 :
    A top 5 that omits the device with arguably the best camera/video experience, display, security technology (face ID), great durability and an IP Rating?

Ok....

malidan likes this.
  6. Baymax Starting Point Expert Jan 10, 2019

Baymax, Jan 10, 2019 :
    I am not impressed by the iPhone X series. Touch ID was much better to me.
    I feel like the last good iPhone was the 8/8+...
    You may argue it, but this is my opinion.

7. nyzproof333 Jelly Bean Jan 10, 2019

nyzproof333, Jan 10, 2019 :
    It's your top 5. I just thought device performance should be a determining factor.

8. Baymax Starting Point Expert Jan 10, 2019

Baymax, Jan 10, 2019 :
    Price to performance ratio is a factor to me. Sure the iPhone X series has good performance, but the 4 digit price tag really bites.

The Note 9 also has good performance but it stays away from that $1000 threshold.
    The XR could have been added but to me the price to performance still doesn't add up. Apple just isn't innovating anymore. The company essentially died with Steve.

But that is of course my opinion.

Wahoux likes this.
  9. malidan Marshmallow Jan 11, 2019

malidan, Jan 11, 2019 :
    Top 5
    1. Mate 20 pro 7nm of murder, video cam innovations, spit and polish.
    The fastest most accessible charge system.

2. Note 9.The daddy with everything, best point and shoot all-round lowlight cam.
    For me charging, cam and 7nm performance give the Mate 20 the edge over the Note 9.

3. IPX max, more 7nm murder, street credz copycat features bringing it up to date.

4. OPPO Find X Innovation and the coolest phone that will be seen until Samsung Galaxy F get here, light speed charging

5. P20 Pro dominated the camera scene in 2018
    And setting a new bar for fit and finish.

Honourable mentions

Magic 2, Innovation and more 7nm murder, Charging.
    Mix 3 Ceramic minimalistic, slider.

S9+ Still way ahead of many despite being first up.

Poco A real game changer, the best bang per buck. It has now been overtaken with the MI8 being within a difference of £50.

VIVO Nex. Pop up, FOD, full screen.

PIXEL 3 for the Notch of all notxhes.

10. meatandy Nougat Jan 11, 2019

meatandy, Jan 11, 2019 :
    We can't get some of those devices here in the States (not officially) , We wouldn't know .

Baymax likes this.
  11. Baymax Starting Point Expert Jan 11, 2019

Baymax, Jan 11, 2019 :
    7nm murder?

wow. we agreed on number 2.

many of the devices are not available here. Poco was also an honorable mention. it's an okay phone but the drawbacks are no US bands. that is why it missed the list.

and Pixel 3 XL, not Pixel 3 :p

12. Bouncer71 KitKat Jan 11, 2019

Bouncer71, Jan 11, 2019 :
    Spec's and reviews based or personal experience...?

13. malidan Marshmallow Jan 11, 2019

malidan, Jan 11, 2019 :
    Oh so you don't mean an authentic top 5, you mean a top 5 you can buy in the US?
    You need to change your title then.

The OP6 has all the band's and people still report drawbacks, so what's the biggie with the Poco?
    It wasn't ment for the US but people still want the value it offers.;)
    7nm murder you questioned. Well the Mate 20 pro opened Fortnite 17 seconds faster than the OP6 in a speed test, that is the type of speed everyone needs. It also out lasts every other device by a significant margin in Battery life.
    If you strip away Mr Trumps politics and US reviewers would be saying it's the best, Huawei/ Honor are without doubt the top dogs of the year.

Oh Pixel 3, just like everyone says the S9.
    The fact I highlighted the notch, tells you which model i'm am referring to.:rolleyes:

14. malidan Marshmallow Jan 11, 2019

malidan, Jan 11, 2019 :
    Specs, reviews, observations. There ain't many people who owns 5 device models in a year.
    Personally I only bought 3 model's last year, i found notch mania very uninspiring.

nyzproof333 likes this.
  15. Baymax Starting Point Expert Jan 11, 2019

Baymax, Jan 11, 2019 :
    Well. A personal top 5 would include use in the country the person is from. So my title isn't changing.

Ah I've just never heard anyone use that wording to describe it...

Well. Honor got my number 3. It is definitely an excellent device.

Yep. Good ol' 3 XL

16. malidan Marshmallow Jan 11, 2019

malidan, Jan 11, 2019 :
    You lost me there, I don't remember mentioning personal.

Yeah the View 10 was a good device, nearly everything is good these days.
    If I remember correctly it has the exact same generic banding as the Poco, that is ofc. unless some more were added for the US market.o_O

17. Baymax Starting Point Expert Jan 11, 2019

Baymax, Jan 11, 2019 :
    What is the name of this thread?

The View 10 is sold here.
    https://m.hihonor.com/us/product/10001859603314.html

18. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 11, 2019

Dunnow, Jan 11, 2019 :
    One notch to rule them all

[​IMG]

malidan and Baymax like this.
  19. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Jan 11, 2019

pablofg1978, Jan 11, 2019 :
    And Apple stole it from the essential phone....

20. Baymax Starting Point Expert Jan 11, 2019

Baymax, Jan 11, 2019 :
    The killer of notches
    The notch overlord
    Lord of the notches