Been raising the same bug from a long time, but no one bothers to respond. any help on this?

1. chandertalreja Gingerbread Jun 9, 2019

chandertalreja, Jun 9, 2019 :
    Hi,

Ive been raising a rather annoying contacts bug from quite some time and i dont seem to get any reply from any of the bug hunters! there is no status or update provided on the same as well! i have even gone through the pain of individually messaging @Lynn T ,, @ Bobby D ,,, @Manu J ,,, @reesejp and many others but guess what ? they dont bother replying! why would you ask for a bug report if you dont plan on acting on it ? i have attached the bug report link here as well, if you could confirm the same issue and up vote it maybe this can get some notice!
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...s-not-duplicate-but-probably-link-bug.966928/

Thank you

Max.Mar likes this.
  2. Kytharsis Lollipop Jun 9, 2019

Kytharsis, Jun 9, 2019 :
    Do you have the number on both Google and local?

ironass likes this.
  3. Goggeboy Honeycomb Jun 9, 2019

Kytharsis likes this.
  4. Roger.T Jelly Bean Jun 10, 2019

Roger.T, Jun 10, 2019 :
    For example, I saved all contacts in the Google Account..
    In the contacts app there is the possibility to show contacts from several accounts..
    Therefore, I always go into the settings and select only the appropriate account because otherwise my contacts from my second Google account would also show up and I would have everything twice...

Nick 59 and Kytharsis like this.
  5. itsFreelancer Gingerbread Jun 10, 2019

itsFreelancer, Jun 10, 2019 :
    Please go to contacts manager and try suggested links and suggested merges. It takes less than two mins to sort this out.

Nick 59 likes this.
  6. Nick 59 Lollipop Jun 10, 2019

Nick 59, Jun 10, 2019 :
    User error not a bug is my guess. ;)

Maverick2.0 likes this.
  7. chandertalreja Gingerbread Jun 11, 2019

chandertalreja, Jun 11, 2019 :
    hey.. apologies for my delay in reply. I was stuck up with some office work. these are indeed synced with Google.

8. chandertalreja Gingerbread Jun 11, 2019

hii, I own a pixel 2 xl as well and this issue doesn't persist there. I'm talking about using the DIALER QUICK SEARCH . Please try using the keypad and try doing a speed dial you will see duplication

9. chandertalreja Gingerbread Jun 11, 2019

hi guys. thank you for your response on this matter. I have attached a screenshot which should make it very clear for you that this is a bug and you can check this yourself. you should have contacts synced with Google for this. notice the attached screen shot. when you save a contact by default , there are spaces created and WhatsApp is not able to link them to Google and shows up seperate. notice the top 2 contacts here. they don't have spaces in them but they are indeed on WhatsApp too. I have removed the spaces manually and now WhatsApp has linked them exactly how it's supposed to work like. notice the 3&4 contacts you will see the duplication of the same number , one with space and one without spaces.
    1560290050868.jpg

10. itsFreelancer Gingerbread Jun 12, 2019 at 1:32 PM

itsFreelancer, Jun 12, 2019 at 1:32 PM :
    I've checked mine and yes, even I have multiple entries for the same number for a single contact. Maybe that happened because I imported contacts more than once.

But that hasn't whatsapp ability to link. Some of my contacts only has spaces in their numbers and whatsapp still picks them up. If it creates a duplicate entry, I just use suggested merges and suggested links in contacts manager.

11. chandertalreja Gingerbread Jun 13, 2019 at 8:26 PM

chandertalreja, Jun 13, 2019 at 8:26 PM :
    hey thank you for your response. can you check the contacts who are also on WhatsApp in the DIALER SPEED SEARCH ? DIALER SEARCH HERE IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE. please use the keypad(numpas) to search the contacts in the dialer/phone app

12. chandertalreja Gingerbread Jun 14, 2019 at 4:59 AM

chandertalreja, Jun 14, 2019 at 4:59 AM :
    WhatsApp is only linking the contacts where there are no spaces. if there are spaces, WhatsApp is creating a duplicate entry which does not appear on the suggested links or merge.