Guide (Beginner's guide) - Root - ROM's - Recoveries - Kernel's

1. yossigrosskopf
    Froyo May 26, 2014

yossigrosskopf , May 26, 2014 :
    Thanks but u have to have the touchwiz framework to use it.
    I've been searching around for the twframwork-res.apk files but I haven't found any witch will work with my gs4.
    I think I'm gonna download the stock firmware zip and try modify it myself before installing.
    Maybe I'll try mix it with the cm Rom zip

2. p_ice
    Honeycomb May 26, 2014

p_ice , May 26, 2014 :
    Since the OPO comes with Cyanogenmod already, it sounds like it will be rooted or at "least root-friendly"

3. thisguysayswht
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 26, 2014

thisguysayswht , May 26, 2014 :
    Root friendly, yes. Rooting the oneplus one will not void the warranty, and I can only assume it will be quite easy. Custom cyanogenMOD ROM's usually come prerooted, but this is an OEM operating system made by cyanogen inc., you cannot sell a device with Google services on it prerooted. The oneplus one ships with Google services preinstalled (play store, maps, books, etc.). So it does not ship prerooted (just think of all the returns they would get from people uninstalling there only launcher, or uninstalling there system ui apk, or editing there build.prop with "whoohoo IMA a boss", etc) it would be madness. Just because its running an operating system that started out as "custom" does not mean its rooted. Just like miui for the nexus 7 2013, I currently run this in multirom, every time I update it I have to flash the su binary script to root it, even tho its a "custom" ROM (for my device). Cyanogen for the OPO is the stock OS and therefore will not come rooted :).

4. Sourav mehra97

5. H1GHWAvE
    Froyo May 26, 2014

6. Amortis

7. Holiday
    Cupcake May 26, 2014

8. Rmaier14
    Jelly Bean May 26, 2014

9. Zoro
    Gingerbread May 26, 2014

10. SnakeJayd
    Froyo May 26, 2014

SnakeJayd , May 26, 2014 :
    Awesome.
    That makes sense.

11. KeenBean
    Froyo May 27, 2014

KeenBean , May 27, 2014 :
    Looked all over (google, XDA, AF, here) and haven't found much info about rooting the OPO. It seems that the bootloader will ship unlocked but the stock recovery does not support flashing. Are we waiting on a custom recovery to be developed then? Or has anybody confirmed (I've seen it speculated) that simply installing SU will do the trick? I really just want to be able to use Xposed and some root-required Tasker actions...

12. thisguysayswht
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 27, 2014

thisguysayswht , May 27, 2014 :
    Good questions, I don't think anyone has rooted it yet. If you have one, you can try to chmod 777 the system and mount it as rw, its the first thing I'm going to do when I get one. If I'm successful I'll write a bash script to automate the process:

http://www.pocketables.com/2011/06/how-to-manually-root-almost-any-android-device.html

As far as cwm it is development, one of the good folks here already compiled it, I don't think anyone has tested it tho, and he doesn't have the device so it is still in testing:

http://forums.oneplus.net/threads/testing-cwm-recovery-for-oneplus-one-is-here.14560/

Bootloader ships unlocked. You cannot gain root permission by simply installing the su permission manager, that app is just for controlling the permissions once you have gained root access.

KeenBean likes this.
  13. KeenBean
    Froyo May 29, 2014

KeenBean , May 29, 2014 :
    Yes you are correct you also need to flash the SU.zip (Sorry, I'm an android development beginner on the cusp of intermediate). Also it seems as though TWRP ( which I personally prefer to CWM) has added official OPO support:

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/231
    So now we are waiting for the official drivers to be released, or have they already? If so it looks like we can root!

Edit: It seems as though somebody has written a How to Root for the OPO here on the forums. It seems the bootloader does need to unlocked but good old fastboot oem unlock takes care of that. Perhaps the OP will want to post the link in the original post:

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/how-to-root-the-oneplus-one-twrp-dl-link.22291/

Last edited: May 29, 2014

thisguysayswht likes this.
  14. one5168
    Jelly Bean May 29, 2014

15. jazzo
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 29, 2014

jazzo , May 29, 2014 :
    Good thread thisguysayswht, finally something useful. I like the way you explained things for the newbies! Personally, I am looking for info on how to root (all my android phones are rooted) and I will root the OPO once I get my hands on it. From what I have read there isn't any tutorial as to how to root as yet (from memory the procedure is slightly different for each device), so I will keep an eye on xda but I think that as soon as somebody do it it might be useful to have a separathe thread

thisguysayswht likes this.
  16. gmo8492
    Lollipop May 29, 2014

17. thisguysayswht
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 30, 2014

thisguysayswht , May 30, 2014 :
    That's good to know, that's the rout I was hoping they would take. So many people told me it shipped unlocked, that I believed there nonsense, gald to hear you have to factory data reset to unlock the bootloader. This is the rout I was hopping they would take, much more secure. I'll have to look thru my posts and give some people some grief;). I'll add this to the op:).

18. thisguysayswht
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 30, 2014

thisguysayswht , May 30, 2014 :
    Grief given FYI

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...access-out-of-the-box.8005/page-3#post-417864

post #49-52 ;)

Last edited: May 30, 2014

19. Aditya Shahi
    Honeycomb May 31, 2014

20. Apocsky
    Cupcake Jun 1, 2014

Apocsky , Jun 1, 2014 :
    Thanks for the writeup. Stumbled upon this thread as I was searching for info as I ordered a China OpO which should come with ColorOS and I want to flash it to CM11S. Any tips or guides for that? Thanks!