Guide (Beginner's guide) - Root - ROM's - Recoveries - Kernel's

1. rushib1
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 11, 2014

2. why
    Honeycomb Jul 11, 2014

3. thisguysayswht
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 11, 2014

thisguysayswht , Jul 11, 2014 :
    Nope. Don't use social media, to much drama. You can always PM me, or ask questions here. You should also check out XDA if your interested in learning more. :)

rushib1 likes this.
  4. thisguysayswht
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 12, 2014

thisguysayswht , Jul 12, 2014 :
    Video? Of what? This is just a general guide on rooting, it does not pertain to any particular phone. Idk what you would want the video to contain...

5. Syre
    Gingerbread Jul 12, 2014

Syre , Jul 12, 2014 :
    dont you need to unlock bootloader to flash other roms? I was gonna root and flash my S3 with paranoid or carbon but not sure how to go about it.

6. thisguysayswht
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 12, 2014

thisguysayswht , Jul 12, 2014 :
    Yes, to install a source built ROM you need to unlock your bootloader, if its stock based you shouldn't have to. I can't be of much help when it comes to Samsung devices, I've never owned one. I can redirect you here though:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3

Good choice in ROMs, paranoid is my favorite. The carbon team also does really good work. I suggest you look into omni ROM to. :)

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I just don't want to give you the wrong information, and Samsung devices are very model/firmware version specific.

Syre likes this.
  7. thisguysayswht
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 31, 2014

8. GoIrish
    Gingerbread Aug 5, 2014

GoIrish , Aug 5, 2014 :
    I'm so excited that I found out about the 1+ and have found such great info on the forum! I spend waaaayyyy too much time here, when I should be doing something else. :D I am learning sooo much! Thanks to all of you that are experienced in these areas and are willing to share!!!

Yeah ... and sadly, it's not like most people on this forum actually read the first page of the thread they are posting in either :( ...at least that's what I've observed.

9. risky1301
    Lollipop Aug 5, 2014

risky1301 , Aug 5, 2014 :
    Thanks for the crash course on rooting. I am a noob and would like all the information I can get before moving forward with rooting my device. Thanks for the info

10. thisguysayswht
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 5, 2014

thisguysayswht , Aug 5, 2014 :
    Your welcome. If you have any questions that weren't covered in the guide feel free to ask. :)

risky1301 likes this.
  11. ibvosko
    Cupcake Aug 5, 2014

12. thisguysayswht
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 4, 2014

13. thisguysayswht
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 12, 2014

14. LukasMHD
    Cupcake Nov 20, 2014

LukasMHD , Nov 20, 2014 :
    I have a problem, i waned to root my OPO and I think Idid everything I was supposed to do.
    I did the adb and fastboot stuff (both eventually recognised the device). Then i flashed the twrp recovery and tried to start into recovery but my phone is stuck on the 1+ powered by android screen... I really don't know what to do, i redid every stepp at least 10 times (always returning my phone to stock)... once I had another screen where I had glitchy rainbow colors for a sec before the phone went black .. any help is hugely appreciated

15. tomas.belchior
    Honeycomb Dec 10, 2014

16. sfahmy08
    Cupcake Dec 31, 2014

17. thisguysayswht
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 31, 2014

18. s3ngar22
    Froyo Jan 12, 2015

s3ngar22 , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Great help man. Thank you. Don't listen to people complaining that all this is available on the internet - what isn't?

thisguysayswht likes this.
  19. pushkaljn
    Honeycomb Jan 12, 2015

pushkaljn , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Thanks.. I was looking forward for such a definition guide.. Everywhere they talk about process but really no one cared to tell what the terms mean.. Thanks

s3ngar22 and thisguysayswht like this.
  20. MichaelJecks
    Froyo May 22, 2015

MichaelJecks , May 22, 2015 :
    Thanks for this. It makes more sense of some of the jargon I've been following with confusion!