Behind the Scenes – How a smartphone launch takes shape

1. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Mar 12, 2021

luigimario , Mar 12, 2021 :
    I can see the resemblance!

derLenno, Dresa91, KaranRIyer and 2 others like this.
  2. eastbay
    Lollipop Mar 12, 2021

Dresa91, northbay5566 and luigimario like this.
  3. northbay5566
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 12, 2021

4. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Mar 12, 2021

dsmonteiro , Mar 12, 2021 :
    With the current COVID-19 imposed limitations, it's quite hard to directly involve users with the launch event. Still, what do you have in mind?

I only found out BTS was something other than Behind The Scenes now. 😅

Can I get a size L one if I do that?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021

McJader, YRJ, Dresa91 and 3 others like this.
  5. northbay5566

northbay5566 , via OnePlus 8T T-Mobile , Mar 12, 2021 :
    Yes Crystal z LLLL

Dresa91 likes this.
  6. northbay5566

northbay5566 , via OnePlus 8T T-Mobile , Mar 12, 2021 :
    Yeah it's a group of singers 😂😂

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021

Dresa91 and dsmonteiro like this.
  7. dsmonteiro

Stickied Post
    This one is fairly easy to explain so I'll have a go.

When we first launched the OnePlus One, its internal codename was 'bacon'. While we didn't keep the food-themed naming in the following devices, we returned to it with the OnePlus 5 – 'cheeseburger'. Since then, we've usually resorted to junk food or street food names – dumpling, enchilada, fajita, hotdog, instantnoodle, kebab. Sometimes, however, we needed to become creative. Guacamole didn't technically meet the criteria for "street food" but ended up being OnePlus 7 Series' codename. With J, it was even harder so we jumped to kebab. Lemonade might not be street food but is definitely a street drink. 😉

Codenames make it easier to talk about an unreleased product without mention its name, but they end up becoming part of the product's history.

8. Some_Random_Username
    Community Bug Hunter Mar 12, 2021

Some_Random_Username , Mar 12, 2021 :
    Hi @dsmonteiro , 8-series codename is instantnoodle (with slight variations for Pro and carrier variants).
    guacamole is used for 7-series (with again slight variations for Pro and carrier variants).

9. dsmonteiro

Thanks, fixed it accordingly!

10. northbay5566
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 13, 2021

dsmonteiro and Dresa91 like this.
  11. Junjun Baccay
    Gingerbread Mar 13, 2021

12. Deactivated User
    Mar 13, 2021

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2021

13. AlienEye
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Mar 13, 2021

AlienEye , Mar 13, 2021 :
    Yeah, but actually I forgot to mention online.
    Giving exclusive invites to some people during the live shoot of launch event through zoom meeting and later taking their suggestions to improve it.
    I hope there is still time to do that

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021

KaranRIyer and Dresa91 like this.
  14. Crystal Z.
    Global Community <3 Staff Member Mar 13, 2021

Stickied Post
    Crystal Z. , Mar 13, 2021 :
    That's a great question @derLenno

Each of the teams mentioned by @dsmonteiro in the first post represents countless other staff members, across different offices, countries, and time zones. To streamline communication and reduce leaks, teams have a point-of-contact (POC). For the Community team and Lemonade, that POC is me.

That means I'm the one to attend all meetings, preparing the team's proposals to engage our users throughout the different periods in the product lifecycle, making sure that other teams know what the Community team is up to and every Community team member is aware of what they need to be doing regarding Lemonade. A while after the launch, I'll need to make a post mortem report that goes through what went well, what went wrong, and where we can improve in the future.

We also need to consider leaks, only one POC from each team could access the key assets for the product, sample shots, and I only got the access few days before pre-launch (Mar 8). At that time, I suppose you know more about the product assets than I do because of external leaks (hard to control :()

Meetings become more frequent as we near the launch. We have daily catch up twice a day in these 2 weeks, not to mention weekly meetings, and regional catch up meetings, online and offline. Due to time zones and the difference, they are usually after dinner time here (9 or 10 PM) in China, so that our colleagues in India, Europe and North America can join. We also host training sessions so that people from different departments and regions get to know all about the device.

Tl;Dr: Yes, it’s a PITA.

15. Girish.Pranav
    Jelly Bean Mar 13, 2021

Girish.Pranav , Mar 13, 2021 :
    Wow, sounds like crazy amount of work. Wonderful how you guys pull it off well.

KaranRIyer, McJader and Dresa91 like this.
  16. script
    Moderator Moderator Mar 13, 2021

script , Mar 13, 2021 :
    You are pure gold, Crystal

KaranRIyer, Girish.Pranav and Dresa91 like this.
  17. northbay5566

northbay5566 , via OnePlus 8T T-Mobile , Mar 13, 2021 :
    Woah lost of work , but you do a great job at it 👍👏😊

KaranRIyer and Dresa91 like this.
  18. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Mar 13, 2021

YRJ , Mar 13, 2021 :
    Hello Kinder,

Lemonade sounds refreshing, and it's not just the name but even the idea behind calling it that. You must know that a fair amount of the design has been officially revealed and proficient leakers left no stone unturned to ensure they get the limelight they deserve. So all in all, most of us do have a good idea of what the final product will look like.

While that's all that matters to some, I enjoy listening to the stories you tell and laughs that you have when an idea transforms from a faint sketch on paper to a finished product that comes into out hands. It's amazing to think that hundreds of people spend countless days, debating on what should and what should not be a part of the product. I hope to hear few such stories which helps us get a better understanding of how a smartphone is more than just a sum of its parts.

See you around :)

Edit: similar to what @Crystal Z. shared, how everyone comes together to keep things moving smoothly.

KaranRIyer, McJader, suhantm and 2 others like this.
  19. DarshanMeniya
    Jelly Bean Mar 13, 2021

DarshanMeniya , Mar 13, 2021 :
    I can exactly give you honest review of Lemonade T-Shirt after checking this t-shirt physically , thanks for giving us a chance to get lemonade t-shirt.

KaranRIyer likes this.
  20. suhantm

suhantm , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 13, 2021 :
    I'm hungry and thirsty now. Thanks David 😒