Behind the Scenes – How a smartphone launch takes shape

1. McJader
    Marshmallow Mar 13, 2021

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Mar 13, 2021

Stickied Post

3. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Mar 13, 2021

Overzee, KaranRIyer, McJader and 2 others like this.

4. KaranRIyer, dsmonteiro and Dresa91 like this.
  5. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Mar 13, 2021

YRJ , Mar 13, 2021 :
    My only concern is that every sneak-peek we've gotten so far shows that the photographer is using pro mode to click pictures. While it still is the same phone and camera, it's not a point and shoot scenario anymore – a way in which 90% of the users are going to be clicking pictures.

Well, let's see what an average Joe can do with it.

6. devangbucha
    Gingerbread Mar 13, 2021

7. AlienEye
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Mar 13, 2021

AlienEye , Mar 13, 2021 :
    Did you read this out @dsmonteiro ?
    And also...how about an AMA from launch team after the launch event?

KaranRIyer and Dresa91 like this.
  8. gautamthapar
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus TV U1S Mar 13, 2021

gautamthapar , Mar 13, 2021 :
    I was about to write the same. Can we get a few samples from the normal mode? @dsmonteiro

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021

YRJ, McJader and Dresa91 like this.
  9. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Mar 13, 2021

Dresa91 , Mar 13, 2021 :
    Yeah,... 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

YRJ and McJader like this.
  10. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Mar 13, 2021

theshinybeast , Mar 13, 2021 :
    There's only one star 🌟🌟🌟 in this pic, I could probably spend a day chatting to this wonderful woman.
    IMG_20210313_202116.jpg
    That hairdo is spectacular!

11. Scalarius
    Froyo Mar 13, 2021

12. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Mar 13, 2021

theshinybeast , Mar 13, 2021 :
    Sony make almost all mobile cameras, hardware wise. At least the decent ones.
    Hasselblad "help" in other ways.

13. Scalarius
    Froyo Mar 13, 2021

Scalarius , via OnePlus 3 , Mar 13, 2021 :
    Tnx

McJader and theshinybeast like this.
  14. suhantm
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 14, 2021

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021

dsmonteiro, Dresa91 and McJader like this.
  15. Overzee
    The Showcase Reviewer Mar 14, 2021

Overzee , Mar 14, 2021 :
    It's so cool to get this BTS inside, the end product gave me the idea this was shot in a professional studio. Great job!
    Screenshot_20210314-102559.jpg

dsmonteiro, suhantm and Dresa91 like this.
  16. Q1599314698782
    Cupcake Mar 14, 2021

17. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Mar 14, 2021

Stickied Post
    dsmonteiro , Mar 14, 2021 :
    There are different stages of prototyping across the product lifecycle.

While there are other ones prior to these, I'll focus on the ones where the product is more matured: EVT – Engineering Validation and Testing, DVT – Design Validation and Testing, and PVT – Production Validation and Testing. They follow a logical succession. With each new step, the product is closer to release. EVT checks if everything is working and according to the set requirements, iterating as needed. In a DVT stage, you have small batches where you start stress-testing the device and making sure it conforms to regulations, with smaller iterations. Finally, PVT is nearly identical to the phone you buy, this step only stress-tests production, making sure all procedures are being performed correctly and efficiently.

As soon as the EVT stage is reached, you start seeing some around the office, inside clunky protective cases that obfuscate the phone's looks. Imagine an unnecessarily big case that you can't remove. In the early stages, they are tested only inside the office and very few people have them. POCs from each team, like @Crystal Z., can make the requests for their teams' needs. Teams use this chance to get acquainted with the product, experience the device for themselves. Since I write some of the content for our team, I usually get the device a couple of months before launch, so I can know everything about it in advance. (No, I don't get to keep them)

Staff is under Non-Disclosure Agreements by nature, so we don't have to sign any NDAs specific to this testing. So only a pinky swear is needed, @atenaa. 😉

But now the fun part. While most of you might not be aware, users are also part of this process. We run FUT (Friendly User Trial) programs where we invite users to try the device sometimes months before it's. We've also had Community Sample Shot events, where we seed devices to some of the best photographers the Community has to offer. All of these users are, for obvious reasons, under NDA. I was lucky enough to try the OnePlus 3 as a user, in one of, if not the first FUT program.

There are no hard dates for each of these steps. As prototyping is bound to have iteration, things are ever-changing.

18. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Mar 14, 2021

Dresa91 , Mar 14, 2021 :
    Thank you for the insight 🤗😊

Cheetosdust, drl431 and dsmonteiro like this.
  19. drl431
    Community Hero 2020 Mar 14, 2021

drl431 , Mar 14, 2021 :
    Thanks, that is truly BTS info!

Cheetosdust and Dresa91 like this.
  20. BlueDiamond24 , via OnePlus 7T Pro 5G , Mar 14, 2021 :
    Oneplus has a killer flagship. Only missing the biggest part of the pie. Marketing.. I really think OnePlus devices at a great price that you share. You can out do Samsung and Iphone. If the marketing team needs help. Hit me up.