Behind the Scenes – How a smartphone launch takes shape

1. atenaa
    KitKat Mar 14, 2021

atenaa , Mar 14, 2021 :
    Wow! 😮Thank you so much for sharing with us this fantastic inside info! ;) 🤗
    I promise I wont tell to anyone! Cross my heart! 🤞 ☺️

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021

2. Pravin2999
    Honeycomb Mar 15, 2021

3. Oreo.
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Mar 15, 2021

Oreo. , Mar 15, 2021 :
    Hard-working POC 😇 deserves some appreciation ☺️

4. Crystal Z.
    Global Community <3 Staff Member Mar 15, 2021

Stickied Post

woSch, atenaa, derLenno and 29 others like this.
  5. Kinder L.
    Head of R&D Staff Member Mar 15, 2021

Stickied Post
    Kinder L. , Mar 15, 2021 :
    Well, the full story is far more complex. November was marketing kick off, at that time, we already have our T1 or even early EVT prototype.

A product R&D is a long journey, before T0 - T1 - EVT - DVT - PVT phase of prototyping, we had to evaluate product positioning, specs confirmation, CMF (Color, Material, Finish) testing, etc. A good example is one of the camera sensor that we're using on the 9 Series, Sony's IMX789. As you can read here, we've been developing it for 2 years. Another example is CMF. The finish we first introduced with the OnePlus 6 has been in constant evolution, continuously improving from then until now.

So to answer your question, the first prototype was assembled much earlier than Nov, and some of parts you'll see on the OnePlus 9 Series are the culmination of an even longer process.

woSch, atenaa, DarshanMeniya and 20 others like this.
  6. ShreyasPatil_
    Jelly Bean Mar 15, 2021

otto2, VeDxnTa and KaranRIyer like this.
  7. KaranRIyer
    KitKat Mar 15, 2021

KaranRIyer , Mar 15, 2021 :
    Taken with Oneplus 9 Pro Powered by Hasselblad. 😁😋. Looks yummy. Shareee........

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021

Helder_DAlmeida, otto2 and Dresa91 like this.

8. KaranRIyer
    KitKat Mar 15, 2021

KaranRIyer , Mar 15, 2021 :
    Thats so cool 😎. Cant wait to see the Final product

Helder_DAlmeida and Dresa91 like this.
  9. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Mar 15, 2021

Dresa91 , Mar 15, 2021 :
    Yeah:)
    Ah, nice to know:)

Helder_DAlmeida, otto2 and KaranRIyer like this.
  10. Dresa91

11. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Mar 15, 2021

YRJ , Mar 15, 2021 :
    Sounds like quite a journey! Good to know the various stages through which a product passes. :)

Woah! So a lot of time and work goes into a product :eek:

On that note, it's a shame that people don't use a piece of tech even for as long as it took to make it. OEMs spend years converting an idea into a commercially available product, for example I read that the OnePlus 5 took 3 years to make.... And I only used it for 2 years! Tech moves faster, and it's hard to believe that something that's being worked on today will land in our hands 2-3 years later, and you can't say for sure if it's going to be a hit when it comes out then. How do manufacturers keep up with that? Isn't this a R&D challenge?

12. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Mar 15, 2021

YRJ , Mar 15, 2021 :
    I don't know what is OnePlus’s reason for not sending them one, but I couldn't care less. Dxo rating mattered back in the day, but with every smartphone easily crossing the 100 mark, these numbers have little value. Moreover, testing the smartphone in a Lab hardly matters. I’d me more interested in seeing real pictures that people shoot with a single click!

13. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Mar 15, 2021 :
    Yeah , that is also my guess .
    I hope that this is the reason: to provide better test results :)

14. otto2
    Photography Expert Mar 15, 2021

otto2 , Mar 15, 2021 :

Thank you very much, @Kinder L. for telling us a bit more about this- i d still like to learn more about the developing of a mobile phone , this would be a great and interesting story thread how your team is working. Some of your shortcuts , T0-T1 EVt DVT PVT CMF- what are they standing for? Not everyone here might know this?

Thank you again so much ,

Otto

15. gautamthapar
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 15, 2021

KaranRIyer likes this.
  16. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Mar 15, 2021 :
    @dsmonteiro explained some:)

17. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Mar 15, 2021

Cheetosdust , Mar 15, 2021 :
    This is everything I hoped this thread could be. Thank you for the explanation and for taking the time to write the detailed message.

Your message also shows, unequivocally, that’s not just a matter of throwing everything to a wall and hoping something sticks. It takes time and hard-work, it takes iteration and iteration, it takes perseverance, even love.

I would love to know more about the role of a Point of Contact (POC). It can be an interesting feature for the forums, I believe. I understand the shadows are the natural habitat for them, but @Crystal Z. and many others deserve recognition and appreciation. The community, I believe, deserves to have their enthusiastic thirst satiated.

And so many times it’s unfair, you know. We dance and we dance with jokes, quick to judge attributing failures from the hip. Truth is, when things don’t go smoother, it’s not because someone was setting the moment to fail.

Thank you once again.

Love the concept of the FUT programs. OnePlus is racing, focused on gathering more and more customers, many times different kinds of customers than the ones who swam in the 2013-2014 pool.

But programs like these show me that side is there, perhaps faded but not erased. If the premium segment is the peak of the business plan, I see more and more the whole aspect of the act of selling as a mountain range.

The amount of trust is immense as is the will to collect feedback from those programs, I imagine. I hope they continue to exist and, if not already, perhaps permeate the new product categories.