Behind the Scenes: Making an Endless GIF

1. Brady R. NA Videographer Staff Member Mar 20, 2019

Brady R., Mar 20, 2019 :
    Cinemagraph_Forum_Header.png

Hey OnePlus community,

My name is Brady Robinson and I am the videographer/video editor for the OnePlus North America team. We recently released a post on social media that featured a cinemagraph, and @Ruby G. thought it would be cool to show how I made it. I made this particular cinemagraph using a Canon 5D Mark III, but you can actually create one with your OnePlus 6T.

If you’re not familiar with what a cinemagraph is, think of it as a smoother GIF that appears seamless; as if there is no endpoint.

Step 1: Stabilized Video

—The first thing I do once I have my idea is grab my tripod. It’s crucial to have a completely “locked off” camera so to speak because any bit of camera shake or movement will make the editing process near impossible.

Step 2: Find The Subject & Shoot

—Now that the camera is on the tripod, I can focus on the composition and subject. For this specific cinemagraph, I wanted the 6T to be the main focus in the foreground and everything in the background to be out of focus. I directed the model to hold the phone as still as possible in her left hand and then swipe across her screen with her right hand. The concept was to have an endless swipe.

All it takes is a few seconds of footage. It helps to keep the footage short so that the final file isn’t too large. Another reason it’s good to have a short video is that when you’re exporting, you won’t lose any colors. If you’re working with a longer video, you’ll have problems with the quality once you export. So pro tip: keep it short.

Step 3: Edit The Cinemagraph

—Once the shooting is complete, I bring the footage into Photoshop. I import the footage into a frame animation and then duplicate all the layers and reverse them. Next, I make a layer mask to essentially freeze the motion in the sections that I want static. This is typically where I spend the most time. I will go frame by frame until everything I want masked out is completely frozen and the loop is clean so to speak.

As you can see, the process is not too hard overall. It just takes time. You should be able to handle this with an intermediate level of photoshop skill. If you try to make one with your OnePlus device, feel free to let me know if you have any questions! I’m happy to give feedback or tips.

Back_Phone_Natalie_2.gif

2. meatandy Oreo Mar 20, 2019

luxuskamel, Ruby G., script and 2 others like this.
  3. Brady R. NA Videographer Staff Member Mar 21, 2019

meatandy and buntycubal like this.
  4. YRJ Lollipop Mar 21, 2019

Brady R., meatandy and buntycubal like this.
  5. B.yashaswi Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 21, 2019

Brady R., meatandy and buntycubal like this.
  6. BhavyaMehta0786 Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 21, 2019

Brady R. and meatandy like this.
  7. devil112 Froyo Mar 21, 2019

8. alessiodales Gingerbread Mar 21, 2019

9. Aditya Dange Honeycomb Mar 21, 2019

Brady R. likes this.
  10. Pradeep@1+ Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 21, 2019

Brady R. likes this.
  11. Its.Leandroo The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 21, 2019

Its.Leandroo, Mar 21, 2019 :
    That's a nice read and definitely helpful for those interested in creating this kind of "motion pictures".

And of course, welcome to the forums! :D

12. Moin2200 KitKat Mar 21, 2019

Moin2200, Mar 21, 2019 :
    Welcome to the community! @brobinson7
    Thanks for the fun and easy to understand lesson.

I hope you enjoy your time here as we do enjoy gifs. ;)
    [​IMG]

13. akshayr723 Honeycomb Mar 22, 2019

Brady R. likes this.
  14. vincent.liu Froyo Mar 22, 2019

Brady R. likes this.
  15. G_plusone Marshmallow Mar 23, 2019

G_plusone, Mar 23, 2019 :
    Welcome Brady Robinson
    She swiping right ;)

Ruby G. likes this.
  16. aris Jelly Bean Mar 23, 2019

17. eye842 Lollipop Mar 23, 2019

eye842, Mar 23, 2019 :
    It's fun to loop gifs in Photoshop, you should have added a little more time to the loop transition point ;)

Great mini tutorial and nice to meet you:)

18. jayanyway US Brand Ambassador Mar 26, 2019

19. David X. NA Copywriter Staff Member Mar 27, 2019

20. Martin Bonnet Gingerbread Mar 29, 2019