Best glue to reattach volume button?

1. Yinon501
    Donut Feb 27, 2020

Yinon501 , Feb 27, 2020 :
    My volume button just fell of the phone , i would've just send it back to oneplus but i bought it from a different retailer so thats not a possibility,
    Anyways i thought to just glue it back on as it still works but just doesnt stick in place, anyone know of a good glue i could use for that?
    (img added below)
    https://imgur.com/a/SsH027U

2. BuckyCanuck
    Cupcake Feb 27, 2020

3. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 28, 2020

pgrey , Feb 28, 2020 :
    I'd figure out how to get it serviced, properly, if you want to be able to actually *use* the volume-rocker, and not have it just be a "plug".
    Most rocker switches like that have a snap-fit, with some tabs/latches or similar, underneath, that holds them in place on the rocker assembly itself (you can see them in your pic, on the rocker-assembly). Replicating that with glue is going to be insanely difficult, good luck. Plus, if you don't get it right, and the glue gums things up, then you're stuck with a micro-solder, to replace the switch-assembly on the PCB, I'd bet.

OTOH, if you can find a volume-rocker button (a new one with tabs that are still in good-shape), you can probably replace yours fairly easily.
    I bet there's somewhere you can buy parts like this, where people dis-assemble "parts only" phones, and sell bits/pieces (I know about sites for lots of stuff like this, but have never looked into it for cells).

4. Federico Prencipe
    Honeycomb Feb 28, 2020

Federico Prencipe , Feb 28, 2020 :
    Agree not using glue, it could cause quite a big damage, it's not just a cover but it has buttons on it so if you glue the wrong piece it won't work. Anyway this is not a good sign of reliability from OnePlus, add this one to the many cases of back glasses cracked on their own and it starts to be worrying. By cracking on their own I mean they did't fall or get smashed, no physical impact.

pgrey likes this.
  5. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 28, 2020

pgrey , Feb 28, 2020 :
    Yeah, good point @Federico Prencipe , about the failure, I didn't really consider that part.
    I did have a thought though (that sleep-revelation thing ;-]), about a "hack fix", if the user can't get it fixed with a new button.
    @Yinon501 , I bet you could tape the button back down, with a very carefully placed piece of blue-painters-tape, and then use a case, over it. It wouldn't last forever, but the tape (my bet anyway) would allow the button to rock, and yet keep it in place (unlike glue).
    Not exactly an awesome solution, but a low-budget one (piece of decent tape, cheap-ish case).
    You could "test" the solution with just the tape, too, before buying a case, it'd be pretty evident if the tape was going to allow sufficient motion. If you wrap the tape around the back of the phone a little, too (say 5-10mm), it'd provide more support, for when you put the case on (to help prevent peeling).