Beware of covers, they will most likely damage your device. Pictures inside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sidewu
    Honeycomb Aug 4, 2014

Sidewu , Aug 4, 2014 :
    I am at loss of words to describe how I feel toward this situation.

I have purchased and installed a red back cover on my device as soon as it arrived in the mail. It was used for about a week until today. I wanted to show few relatives how the back of the device felt. When I removed the cover, I was greeted by a stained device. I tried to clean it up with a small toothbrush and water with some dish soap, without any success.

What pains me the most is that I have taken good care of the device. It has stayed less than 10 hours in my pockets since I work from home and I do not need to carry it around. The device sat on a desk or in my hands almost the entire time I've owned it. I would have expected more from a premium device regarding being stained that easily. It is the first time that I've had this kind of problem regarding any electronic device I've ever had. I washed the back cover and no color came out when was time to dry it.

I know there will be bamboo covers on sale in a few weeks, however the price, shipping and duties will probably run me around $100. An amount I don't wish to shell out to get rid of the stains.

This post is more like a friendly warning concerning back covers, especially ones with colors. You have been warned, do not make the same mistake as I did.

Here are some pictures of how the device looks after being stained.

Edit: I've added pictures of the cover. It's made from hard plastic and was purchased for ~$7.30 on Ebay.

Also, the usual tagging of the Oneplus team for explanation; @David S. @Carl @Jerry @Pete @Steven W
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014

graina, ethanchim10, mahvi and 22 others like this.
  2. MrAmazing360
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 4, 2014

Aaahh and Ben Lall like this.
  3. anthonyly
    Gingerbread Aug 4, 2014

4. roderickh

binky likes this.
  5. Sidewu
    Honeycomb Aug 4, 2014

Sidewu , Aug 4, 2014 :
    I will take a picture, give me a few minutes. I'll update the main post to include the pictures.

binky, Ryan Hughes and roderickh like this.
  6. Ryan Hughes
    Honeycomb Aug 4, 2014

Ryan Hughes , Aug 4, 2014 :
    pictures of your cover?

7. Schipperke
    Gingerbread Aug 4, 2014

8. swiftb12305
    Honeycomb Aug 4, 2014

9. mrhappysad

mrhappysad , Aug 4, 2014 :
    Sorry to hear/see that. At least the cover is swappable; you could always get a new one. Which red cover did you purchase so users won't make the same mistake. Thanks.

Francois0408 likes this.
  10. gotmorebrown
    Eclair Aug 4, 2014

gotmorebrown , Aug 4, 2014 :
    Buy black covers I guess? But you should probably list which cover you bought. I'm thinking the super cheap stuff because I doubt Diztronic cover would do that.

superplus and rayandreas like this.
  11. binky
    Lollipop Aug 4, 2014

binky , Aug 4, 2014 :
    This. Post the brand and model name of your case and at the very least you can steer others clear of a this.

YKK likes this.
  12. nazmul_ali
    Froyo Aug 4, 2014

Joyyy likes this.
  13. B-Rad
    KitKat Aug 4, 2014

B-Rad , Aug 4, 2014 :
    Ummm...Sandstone back. What do you think that means? Put your red cover back on and everything will be OK.

14. Elas
    Jelly Bean Aug 4, 2014

Elas , Aug 4, 2014 :
    I bet it wasn't a soft gel cover? Hard covers tend do to that if they're bad plastic quality ! sorry for you man :/

Jeffr0 likes this.
  15. leol
    Honeycomb Aug 4, 2014

leol , Aug 4, 2014 :
    This is very common.
    After less than ten days the black finish is wearing and flaking off my OPO. I read about this problem in advance, but because I'm extremely careful and used to carrying my phones in a dedicated pocket I didn't think it would happen, or certainly not so soon.

I've resolved the problem by reminding myself it's a cheap phone and shouldn't be expected to hold up like my Samsung, HTC, and Nexus phones.

One year later my S4 remains pristine. You get what you pay for.

Archnibbler, triiik, p51d007 and 2 others like this.
  16. thatboy94
    Honeycomb Aug 4, 2014

17. roderickh

roderickh , Aug 4, 2014 :
    I personally have held both white and black covers.. Would definitely get the white 64gb international option if it was available... zzzzz

rgao007 likes this.
  18. Sidewu
    Honeycomb Aug 4, 2014

Verlina and roderickh like this.
  19. roderickh

roderickh , Aug 4, 2014 :
    Though they are not the official OP cases, they look eerily similar and probably be made of similar materials? I sure do hope no official clip-on cases would result in a smudge on the device itself..

20. givemeyoursoul
    KitKat Aug 4, 2014

givemeyoursoul , Aug 4, 2014 :
    So.....Why is this OP's problem? You used some aftermarket accessory, and it stained your device. If it was an OP accessory then you would have a beef. ***** to the manfr of the cover.

Also, Bamboo covers are $50.