Big Camera Fail

1. sane__
    Froyo Jun 25, 2017

sane__ , Jun 25, 2017 :
    I'm a first-time Oneplus user, but I'm very disappointed so far. As a photographer, I was astounded by the claims about the camera and pulled the trigger to replace my old, trusty LG G4.

Let's be clear, I'm NOT USING LG G4 as a photography tool, I do have an equipment way more suited for that kind of work. I'm just comparing the 2 phone cameras side by side.

I had the impression that Oneplus is a hardcore, nerdy (in a good sense) company, that have a very passionate audience and make awesome, quality phones at a decent price. I do not have that impression anymore.

I was shocked when I test the camera. Side by side with my two years old LG G4 the camera is an epic, epic fail! I don't know if it's the software or the sensor size, but it's a shame that a phone from 2017 with marketing claims for "Clearer Photos" doesn't have a chance to a 2015 phone, which was marketed for its leather back....

The dynamic range is a tad better on a Oneplus, but the clarity, sharpness, and details are overwhelmingly better on the LG. On Oneplus the details look like an oil painting. I don't know if this is some kind of very harsh denoising + post sharpening, but it's ugly as hell!

I've tried to look past that issue since the phone is indeed blazingly fast (way faster than the LG) but then another red flag - the Oneplus has cheated the benchmarks. I'm not a benchmark guy, but I don't like cheaters, and that made me think, what more can go wrong?

YEP, another one - the so-called "telephoto lens " is actually not 2x as marketing, but 1.6x.

"Alright, alright, it's probably some kind of misunderstanding," I thought. Then ANOTHER One - while I was playing with the phone, I've accidentally put my finger on the "telephoto" lens while the camera was 2x zoom.

With a surprise I found out that the Oneplus 5 doesn't actually use the second telephoto lens & sensor, it's a gimmick! Later I learned that it uses it "only on occasion, when the light is right" which is NONSENSE!

You see, the so talked about sensor is mostly used to help the "depth of field effect," which is not that great at all!

I feel cheated! That is my first and the last Oneplus experience. I'm returning my phone. I don't want to support lies.

[​IMG]

Here is another one, this is both phones on auto, both with hdr turned off (the details gets TERRIBLE on the oneplus when HDR is turned on). You can clearly see that the details are washed out/ looks like paint and this is in EVERY picture I take with the both phones. The LG G4 absolutely destroys Oneplus in lowlight AND in daylight when it comes to details.

The dynamic range on the Oneplus is better though.

Link - https://forums-images.oneplus.net/data/medal/600fe2dcd49d8.png

Another one - concrete wall. Youn can clearly see much MUCH more details on the LG G4. Finer texture, bumps etc....

[​IMG]

LINK - https://forums-images.oneplus.net/data/medal/600fe2dcd49d8.png

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017

2. snoopy5
    Gingerbread Jun 25, 2017

snoopy5 , Jun 25, 2017 :
    You are correct. The dualcamera was the only reason for me to upgrade from OP3T to OP5. I am really pissed too...

Tomorrow there is the Q&A at reddit. Look at the announcements. Depending on their "excuses", I will send my OP5 back.

3. iskooneplus
    Honeycomb Jun 25, 2017

iskooneplus , Jun 25, 2017 :
    I hope that someone will ask them about cover lense and hownit works, and I hope that somone will ask what they plan to upgrade with camera? Will slowmotion be better, EIS and etc...

P.S. Can you give me link for that event?

Peshyy and bmdemora like this.
  4. snoopy5
    Gingerbread Jun 25, 2017

Peshyy and iskooneplus like this.
  5. G_Adrian_Aiello_hxGo
    Honeycomb Jun 25, 2017

G_Adrian_Aiello_hxGo , Jun 25, 2017 :
    have to agree here, I'm disappointed in the camera also, compared to my mate 9 amd nexus 6p, the clarity and focussing is frankly awful, have to manual focus every shot in pro mode, (that shouldn't have to be done by the way) but yes for a company with the slogan "Focus on what matters" is kind of some sort of joke, because the focusing is crap imo.

6. JasonMR
    Lollipop Jun 25, 2017

JasonMR , Jun 25, 2017 :
    Makes you wonder if that 2nd camera is ever active, or if it's just a dummy...

7. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jun 25, 2017

theshinybeast , Jun 25, 2017 :
    OPO = Oneplus One ( 2014 ), OP5 = Oneplus5 (2017) and OP = Oneplus (the company). Just saying.

8. moab11
    Donut Jun 25, 2017

moab11 , Jun 25, 2017 :
    felt exactly the same way, the secondary camera was supposedly the reason why the price has gone up so much, but what's the point when it's hardly ever actually used unless light conditions are perfect, they should have used the monochrome sensor that other smartphones have used. completely flop

9. prateek.khatkar
    Donut Jun 25, 2017

10. snoopy5
    Gingerbread Jun 25, 2017

snoopy5 , Jun 25, 2017 :
    The price does not matter. Even if the OP5 would costs 100 USD only, they can not selling it with the main feature of a second camera and then not enabling it. This is cheating.

The price of the OP5 is not that expensive by the way. My OP3T midnight black edition with 6GB of RAM and 128GB storage was available for 479.- The OP5 with the same storage but 8GB of RAM and a faster processor and better LTE for travellers costs only 80 Euro more. I do think that this is fair for the upgraded specs.

But I did not need a faster processor etc.. I only bought it for the dualcamera/second camera and portrait mode. So "the right to exist" of the OP5 is not there anymore for me personally.

11. moab11
    Donut Jun 25, 2017

moab11 , Jun 25, 2017 :
    i bought my 64 GB version for 450 GBP, that works out to 575 USD, what the hell is up with the difference between European and US prices

12. SergiuszJasper
    Honeycomb Jun 25, 2017

SergiuszJasper , Jun 25, 2017 :
    after tax in Canada mine was 733$ lol

13. SachinTS
    Honeycomb Jun 25, 2017

SachinTS , Jun 25, 2017 :
    Right now i have a OP3T and I'm really happy with it but somehow my mind is going for OP5 is it worth to buy the new or should I wait for the ONEPLUS 6

14. onepluscart
    Gingerbread Jun 25, 2017

onepluscart , Jun 25, 2017 :
    So a hardcore photography snob thinks a G4 from LG has a good camera? now I have heard everything.

now comparing the op5 to a Nexus 5x camera is much closer spec wise.

15. G_YS_Ranawat_KJTs
    Eclair Jun 25, 2017

G_YS_Ranawat_KJTs , Jun 25, 2017 :
    my old one plus 2 also takes better and more clearer photos than this new phone I've bought. and to top it all and add further to my misery it even stopped detecting any SIM card in the phone. I mean come on one plus...very disappointed

16. sane__
    Froyo Jun 25, 2017

sane__ , Jun 25, 2017 :
    I've never said that the LG G4 has a good camera :) I only said that it's better than the one on the OnePlus 5 :)

17. Akshansh1611
    Cupcake Jun 25, 2017

18. mywolf2
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 25, 2017

mywolf2 , Jun 25, 2017 :
    A bad workman always blames his tools cant blame op for your bad photos

19. sane__
    Froyo Jun 25, 2017

sane__ , Jun 25, 2017 :
    I'm not using a OnePlus or LG G4 as a photography tool :) I do own an equipment that is way more suited for that kind of work.

I'm just pointing out that the quality of the camera is very, very bad and not comparable even to a 2 year old phone :)

TracerTong, kemor, snjohn and 13 others like this.
  20. G_YS_Ranawat_KJTs
    Eclair Jun 25, 2017

G_YS_Ranawat_KJTs , Jun 25, 2017 :
    no one is blaming the tool. I'm blaming the tool maker. if after spending my hard earned money my brand new tool doesn't detect SIM cards..then tell me who is to be blamed for that!! I can live with bad photos, but a phone with which I can't call anyone is a bit overstretched.