Big Camera Fail

1. aicse
    Gingerbread Jun 25, 2017

aicse , Jun 25, 2017 :
    welcome to the hype train LOL. I'm getting a filling that the 5 is the new 2. Didn't like the leaks and now I am happy that I decided to skip the 5. It is pretty interesting to watch how all the sell out YouTubers are keeping quiet about all the minuses of the 5.

2. Charles2388
    Froyo Jun 25, 2017

Charles2388 , Jun 25, 2017 :
    I'm really shocked when I see pixels in the pictures, I thought that's a special effect like oil painting, I hope this is just a bug that could be fixed very soon by software upgrade

disappointed phones being released with this obvious problem, how could it pass QA

subway35, Meister1977 and srm44901 like this.
  3. snoopy5
    Gingerbread Jun 25, 2017

snoopy5 , Jun 25, 2017 :
    Yeah that is something which bothers me a lot. There have been so many famous youtube reviewers out there who posted immediately about the OP5 their "review".

But NONE of them seem to have really used the camera of the OP5 seriously. Otherwise they would have seen within 30 seconds, that the tele-lens is not 2x and that there is actually no tele lens used at all in real life and the portrait mode would not exist in the pro-setting.

If I would be one of those reviewers, I woud make a video to apologize for having misusd the trust of their audiance and not really checking the product they made a review of.

They earn tons of money with those youtube reviews.... it is time that they should take their responsibility more serious!

4. nicolasdm
    Froyo Jun 25, 2017

nicolasdm , Jun 25, 2017 :
    I am seriously considering sending my OP5 back. anyone know if they will fully refund me?

5. marteebee
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 25, 2017

marteebee , Jun 25, 2017 :
    You be better off selling it on.

srm44901 likes this.
  6. nicolasdm
    Froyo Jun 25, 2017

That is the problem they sell us that the camera was great!!! and in reality its not good at all.
    Does anyone tried the video in 4k? it's absolutely BAD!!!!

kemor, snjohn, Webse4you and 3 others like this.
  7. snoopy5
    Gingerbread Jun 25, 2017

snoopy5 , Jun 25, 2017 :
    In Germany they have to take it back and refund the whole price, if you send it back within the first 14 days after delivery. This is German law.

snjohn and NahendraBabu123 like this.
  8. snoopy5
    Gingerbread Jun 25, 2017

nicolasdm likes this.
  9. danh_tn
    Froyo Jun 25, 2017

danh_tn , Jun 25, 2017 :
    Can anyone explain when the second camera is active? Because when I cover the second camera with my finger, I can still make photos (zoom in depth field etc)

10. POMAH_CHRONOS
    Eclair Jun 25, 2017

POMAH_CHRONOS , Jun 25, 2017 :
    1080p60 video is also really poor in quality compared to the normal 1080p mode.

I expected a big hit in low light performance but not for it to look like 1080i/upscaled 720p

11. aenews
    KitKat Jun 25, 2017

aenews , Jun 25, 2017 :
    It sells for higher than purchase price, so you'd make a profit even after fees.

That being said you will be able to return within 14 days for a full refund.

12. nicolasdm
    Froyo Jun 25, 2017

I started my return process, this phone was all about camera experience.... and the camera it a BIG FAIL.

kemor and G_craig_shaw_VCAa like this.
  13. Aeonsim
    Froyo Jun 25, 2017

Aeonsim , Jun 25, 2017 :
    So the following is probably what the camera is doing and how it works, there are two major mistakes they've made in the software side of things that cause most of the issues. The DNG files from the wide camera are reasonably decent see the two examples at the bottom.

--
    Lens focal lengths are ~4.1 and ~5.5 for a 1.34x "optical zoom".
    This would correspond to Apertures of 2.4mm for the wide (F1.7) and 2.1mm for the Tele (F2.8) which seems about right seeing the cameras are very similar in size.

Both sensors are ~ the same size 1/2.8" with the 20MP sensor for the Tele having ~1.125x increase in linear resolution. If this is cropped down to 16MP then it should be a 1.125x crop factor (I think...).

Combined this gives an "optical zoom" of ~1.5x.
    Unfortunately it appears Oneplus digitally upsale the resulting 16MP tele to 20MP for no good reason.

The Tele lens is only used in exceedingly strong light, so most the time is completely irrelevant, as the camera prefers to use wide F1.7 lens even at extreme zooms. This seems like a stupid bug in there code that they will hopefully fix ASAP.

When the Tele is being used and a RAW is requested the camera takes a JPG with the tele and a RAW with the wide. It currently doesn't seem possible to get a DNG file from the tele. This is hopefully another bug that will be fixed ASAP.

Ideally they should add true Toggle mode to the Pro camera mode that allows you to switch between cameras with no stupid digital zoom and get DNG files from either sensor. Oh and definitely fix the two afore mentioned bugs.
    --
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. JasonMR
    Lollipop Jun 25, 2017

JasonMR , Jun 25, 2017 :
    OnePlus have never fixed their camera software, for any of their phones.

If you don't like it now, get rid of it while you can.

15. CeeTeePee
    Gingerbread Jun 25, 2017

16. CeeTeePee
    Gingerbread Jun 25, 2017

CeeTeePee , Jun 25, 2017 :
    that's false. they updated the camera on the OP3 in most of their updates for stabilization, different frame rate options, fixes for lighting and exposure, etc.

17. simonlee.ca
    Honeycomb Jun 25, 2017

simonlee.ca , Jun 25, 2017 :
    What about the import duties (apparently included into the express shipping)?

18. sane__
    Froyo Jun 25, 2017

sane__ , Jun 25, 2017 :
    I've never ever said that :) I just said that between the 2 phones, the Oneplus sucks hard at photography.

I do not use a phone, to pursue photography, I do own a dedicated equipment for that :D :D :D

19. JasonMR
    Lollipop Jun 25, 2017

JasonMR , Jun 25, 2017 :
    And it still isn't great, I don't know why, but they just aren't very good when it comes to cameras.

adpro and meatandy like this.
  20. alexferdean
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 25, 2017

alexferdean , Jun 25, 2017 :
    They actually copied this from iPhone 7+ :)) which uses the Tele the same way.
    I also think that they failed this year. OnePlus 3 feels better that the new 5. I don't know why, maybe the design, and the OIS, the price. The only thing I like about the OP5 is the new vibration motor.

Deactivated User likes this.