Big Camera Fail

1. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 28, 2017

Dunnow , Jun 28, 2017 :
    Its not 20mpx to begin with...

Its another 16mpx sensor that supersamples to 20mpx... And you dont have 2x optical zoom but 1.33, and since you are making the photo bigger, by supersampling, you get the feeling its 2x.

A joke.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017

2. streiter10
    Cupcake Jun 28, 2017

streiter10 , Jun 28, 2017 :
    I don't think the camera is Terrible, in terms of hardware the Sony units chosen are top quality. The lack of OIS is probably to blame for the majority of photo quality issues users will have. I have not been able to really put the camera on the OP5 through its paces, but so far regular snapchat pictures and videos seem fine

3. streiter10
    Cupcake Jun 28, 2017

streiter10 , Jun 28, 2017 :
    I may be mistaken but oneplus devices come with unlocked Bootloader, so you can change the rom

4. reasontouse
    Gingerbread Jun 28, 2017

hailtotheking likes this.
  5. priyanshugupta9
    Gingerbread Jun 28, 2017

priyanshugupta9 , Jun 28, 2017 :
    wait for a year of updates, one plus normally takes almost a year before they can make camera work properly.

6. Jimmy_leouf
    Cupcake Jun 28, 2017

Jimmy_leouf , Jun 28, 2017 :
    one year? should buy oneplus 5t? or oneplus6?

G_craig_shaw_VCAa likes this.
  7. fevamko
    Cupcake Jun 28, 2017

fevamko , Jun 28, 2017 :
    that's exactly what i thought too!
    apparently it uses only one camera at s time!
    and the photos quality is just fine instead of excellent as they sold it for!

8. MetalHead777
    Honeycomb Jun 28, 2017

MetalHead777 , Jun 28, 2017 :
    Oh wow you just made it worse. LG G4 with absolutely no competition!?!? That is plain nuts. The iPhone 6 and Samsung Note 4 had way better cameras in 2015! Maybe you've never heard of these two brands, but yeah you must be joking. I've never heard anyone say great things about LG cameras until you wrote this post.
    I'm baffled.

9. MetalHead777
    Honeycomb Jun 28, 2017

10. MetalHead777
    Honeycomb Jun 28, 2017

11. daleski75
    KitKat Jun 28, 2017

12. gamer++
    Cupcake Jun 28, 2017

gamer++ , Jun 28, 2017 :
    I also did some tests to see if the telephoto lens works.

I put my finger on the camera and switched it to 2x zoom. There was no change.

After that I tried the same thing while recording a video and I got no change there too.

Only the single 16MP lens is being used to take pictures.

Another thing that I want to bring to everyone's attention is that if I point towards dark spot/dark color with my camera, I can see grainy static.

Why are you advertising the biggest dual camera setup when you're just using a single camera? Is the other camera just a dummy one?

13. G_ilias_kwnstadinou_AwSn
    Gingerbread Jun 28, 2017

14. daleski75
    KitKat Jun 28, 2017

daleski75 , Jun 28, 2017 :
    If it works it should be better yes

15. G_ilias_kwnstadinou_AwSn
    Gingerbread Jun 28, 2017

16. G_mayank_bhatt_MXDu
    Eclair Jun 28, 2017

G_mayank_bhatt_MXDu , Jun 28, 2017 :
    try clicking something far and it will switch to telephoto

17. F_Saptorshi_Majumdar_PPC
    Donut Jun 28, 2017

F_Saptorshi_Majumdar_PPC , Jun 28, 2017 :
    low light performance is definitely very poor at present. all the hype before wasn't justified. I have moved from a Lumia 950xl and it's still a better camera but as a phone one plus 5 is excellent. telephoto sensor choice is still feel can be better on the next phone too soft. don't attempt depth of field effect in poor light or else you will start crying. also in video try refocusing while shooting in 1080p 60fps u will drop a good 20 frames with an abrupt skip in resulting video. one plus 6 I hope should have a dedicated camera button on top right as most of us are right handed. I know the volume rocker works but it's too towards centre. the camera is not in the phones centered and when you try to stabilise the phone with your palms you obstruct the lens. both iPhone and this phone has problems. noise can be editted out in PS losing clarity but the shadow detail is not good. it's a very good camera in other situations. algorithms can fix noise in future updates but won't do much help with shadow details or the mediocre telephoto lens. please contact Juha from Nokia [e]1f601[/e] but i think op team can push more updates like they are. encourage the team for trying instead of being so negative. it's a bang for buck phone but the misguiding of many users with promise for low light magic is what probably saddens the original poster. still a happy first time one plus user. all the best to the guys at OnePlus don't be disheartened.

18. snoopy5
    Gingerbread Jun 28, 2017

snoopy5 , Jun 28, 2017 :
    Dear OP,

we have many threads about the disappointing results with the dualcamera of the OP5.

Since you decided to put this dualcamera as your major selling point in your marketing of the OP5 and pushed with this the expectations very high, you should set your priorities accordingly for firmware updates.

There are 2 different complaints with the camera. One is IMHO not fixable, the other one is easily fixable.

1. There are many people who criticise the image quality of both cameras. I doubt that this can be fixed easily. But you are welcome to suprise me ;)

2. The other complaint is regarding usability of the dualcamera, when what happens if we want to use the so called telelens (please change that naming by the way, it is also a wideangle) and ability to use it in pro mode and in combination with the portrait feature (by the way please rename also here in the German version the name to "portrait" mode) so that it is more understandable for non-photographers).

So the complaints for #2 are:

- Leave the control over the "telelens" up to the user. At least in the pro-mode. We do NOT want the phone to decide when it is using the telelens or not. I can decide for myself, whether I prefer more high ISO noise. I am adult. Do not treat me like a 5 year old kid.

- Enable the portrait mode also in the pro mode

- If you do not allow the user to decide for themselves whether they want to use the telelens or not in automatic mode, than display at least an information on the screen what the phone is currently using. The 27mm wideangle or the 35mm wideangle. (no, the OP5 does NOT have a tele lens. Bite the bullet.)

- Display also the information, when the "optical zoom" is replaced by the digital zoom. As we know now, the optical "zoom" goes only up to something between 1.3 or 1.6. The rest of the 2x distance is again a digital zoom. Since EVERY digital zoom is degrading image quality, the threshold has to be clearly marked on the screen as soon as it switches from optical to digital.

This all can be easily fixed in a firmware update. It is up to your own will. But the cost of not doing this asap is very high. As far as I can see here the comments in the forum, you will get otherwise many phones sent back at your costs within the 14 days money get back guarantee. This would be financially a desaster for you and a really bad reputation which will costs you even more to improve for the future.

It is up to you know. No excuses. No hiding. Act instead of talking things down and ignoring customer complaints!

This is a marketing nightmare! But you asked for it!

erickok755 and bluethf like this.
  19. G_Mahesh_Upadhyay_lGtm
    Cupcake Jun 28, 2017

G_Mahesh_Upadhyay_lGtm , Jun 28, 2017 :
    helpful

20. tonyw
    Gingerbread Jun 28, 2017

tonyw , Jun 28, 2017 :
    Yes but look at the detail on the Lumia if you zoom in compared with OnePlus. Loads more texture on the lamp.