1. 50960
    Gingerbread Jun 26, 2017

50960 , Jun 26, 2017 :
    Shooting in RAW really helps, though.

Perhaps you already knew about it.

2. Robson
    KitKat Jun 26, 2017

Robson , Jun 26, 2017 :
    Word. Reminds me when the op2 was market and sold with MaxAudio and then they removed it after the second update. Not a big deal like with the camera, but still feel a bit cheated.

3. mywolf2
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 26, 2017

mywolf2 , Jun 26, 2017 :
    if your a professional photographer then any cameras going suck kinda like samsung and apple useing top or the range dslr costing $9000+ to take videos and photos for there ads * its to show the feel of the camera * the enjoyment they are as bad as each other no matter the maker i had a op3 so this op5 is a huge improvement for me its all there in the small print by law somewhere if you have a good week or two to find it o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

4. aicse
    Gingerbread Jun 26, 2017

aicse , Jun 26, 2017 :
    hype train took you away. This is your opinion, but in real world scenario, compared to other flagships, op5 camera is way behind the competition, and this is my opinion and I am not a camera person at all.
    I also own the 3T and as on 5 the camera is mediocre, and the 835 is a half second faster, there are no reasons to upgrade, even from the OP3 there are no reasons to upgrade.

sfomin likes this.
  5. abechung

abechung , Jun 26, 2017 :
    More than complaints, I generally have questions/confusions about the reasoning behind OnePlus's hardware choices, which could be more effectively answered at the Reddit AMA.

1. Why did they opt out any form of stabilization for the telephoto lens? It seems asinine to only have EIS when recording 1080p and completely neglect 4k video. If you're going to remove OIS (from OnePlus 3/3T) and then add in EIS (OnePlus 5), it should be uniformly included into every option for camera and video recording.

2. The OnePlus 5, again, has issues with Accubattery; where, the designed battery capacity (3,300mAh) is inconsistent with the actual battery capacity (actual mAh, which gets more accurate over time). Out of the box, the phone has 3,1xx mAh battery capacity....what. Even when I owned a OnePlus 3, the phone had somewhere around 2,5xx mAh actual battery capacity, and when the service center replaced the battery, it was calculated around 2,7xx mAh. Compared with an other companies' phones, which only experienced slight degradation over years.

I enjoy the phones and the company's "stated" vision, but throughout the years (owning an OPO, OP2, OP3, and now OP5), I've realized that this company can only afford to sell their phones at lowered prices when they skimp out on the details...that is, until they get caught/called out.

For example, the NFC in OP2. They figure, "no one even uses it and it'll save us some money. let's take it out." Huge Backlash. Or how about the OP3, they added OIS, but only for video. So, you can't reap the benefits of stabilization, which would minimize low-light camera issues. Now, the OP5, they remove OIS and replace EIS, but they only added it for 1080p.

TL/DR, OP is learning and getting better as a company over time; however, it's become quite noticeable that in order to play with the big boys, they need to focus on fine-details, which in turn will FOR SURE drive up their price. Thus, their original vision as a budget friendly phone with the flagship specs will soon disappear. Expect that in 2-3 years (if OP still exists), will have their phone prices averaging out $600-$700 dollars.

Praty_28 likes this.
  6. zabihjan
    Honeycomb Jun 26, 2017

zabihjan , Jun 26, 2017 :
    If only LG G6 had same chip I would have gotten it instead of one plus 5 because I was super happy with my G2 few years back.

I still love my 1 ➕ 5. Even my Mi5 camera is better than this but can't match ➕ 5's speed

7. marteebee

8. snoopy5
    Gingerbread Jun 26, 2017

snoopy5 , Jun 26, 2017 :
    I payed with PayPal. So "the force is with me" :)

marteebee likes this.
  9. PTuT
    Jelly Bean Jun 26, 2017

PTuT , Jun 26, 2017 :
    More of you will complain, higher chance OP will do something about it.

10. gavinfabl
    Eclair Jun 26, 2017

gavinfabl , Jun 26, 2017 :
    Ok, so I have finished my camera testing on the OP5, review is on my blog, link in signature. Pulled off some truly great photos plus some disasters, but overall it does a good job.

Ptikami and iskooneplus like this.
  11. snoopy5
    Gingerbread Jun 26, 2017

snoopy5 , Jun 26, 2017 :
    You write in your "review":

Have you checked your exif data after using the 2x button? You will see there that the image was made with the wideangle. The telelens does not have an aperture of 1.7 at all.

So the image is a digital zoom of the wideangle and the 16MP sensor behind that lens cropped and then interpolated again to get the 2x zoom result.

No 20MP, no telelens.

12. sane__
    Froyo Jun 26, 2017

sane__ , Jun 26, 2017 :
    Even with your best samples, you can see that there is a high amount of posterization on the fine details. The oil painting effect is persistent on every shot.

13. iskooneplus
    Honeycomb Jun 26, 2017

iskooneplus , Jun 26, 2017 :
    Please give us your link

14. adamtore
    Honeycomb Jun 26, 2017

adamtore , Jun 26, 2017 :
    I think you are on to something here, like the CPU boosts when benchmarking its just a scheme :D

15. gavinfabl
    Eclair Jun 26, 2017

gavinfabl , Jun 26, 2017 :
    We are not allowed to post links to own blogs etc according to the rules. I did the other day and got in trouble. Just search for gavinsgadgets ... or look at my profile for link.

iskooneplus likes this.
  16. nitemare3219
    Eclair Jun 26, 2017

sveltegenius and iskooneplus like this.
  17. iskooneplus
    Honeycomb Jun 26, 2017

salvo.cagliari likes this.
  18. daleski75
    KitKat Jun 26, 2017

daleski75 , Jun 26, 2017 :
    So using the google camera app produces better results, funnily enough using a hacked version on my s8 does the same.

19. DS76
    Donut Jun 26, 2017

DS76 , Jun 26, 2017 :
    I hope you will bring a huge OTA Update in the next time, which makes the Camera performance (sharpness, low light...) better. I love the Five, but I expect much more from the camera.
    Thanks guys!

20. waitinngv
    Cupcake Jun 26, 2017