BLACK BAR existed even before Oneplus 8 Pro! via OnePlus 6

1. ashwinmurali
    Honeycomb Jul 11, 2020

ashwinmurali , via OnePlus 6 , Jul 11, 2020 :
    I have been using Oneplus 6 for last 2 years. After having troubles with Op 8 pro, today i checked the display of my old warhorse Op6! To my surprise, BLACK BAR (Now hole punch band :p ) is there in OP6 too!!! (atleast in my unit)... But the truth is that, i didn't noticed this bar for all these years with "thousands" of hours of usage. So guys, what you think? is this really an issue? Or is it a gradient for Status bar?

2. ashwinmurali
    Honeycomb Jul 11, 2020

3. KASHISH_PURI
    Cupcake Jul 12, 2020

KASHISH_PURI , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 12, 2020 :
    Yes, I too have observed the same on my 6/6T

I do believe it's somewhat related to status bar. It's some kind of strip or u may say a notch feature bcoz of which these lines appears!!!

But at the very same time have heard from people saying that there oneplus 8 pro units don't have that horizontal bar....

I am in a dileema and can't understand what's the reality and what's not.

In fact, it's companies responsibility to clarify why is this bar visible on majority of devices.

Whether it's a hardware defect or a hardware limitation.

But the fun fact is a consumer is purchasing the device and himself/herself trying to find the real problem and passing on judgements whether it's a problem or not.

4. ashwinmurali
    Honeycomb Jul 12, 2020

ashwinmurali , via OnePlus 6 , Jul 12, 2020 :
    Lack of competition and top class specs at this price point makes Oneplus 8 series (especially 8 Pro) a VFM purchase. Along with the reputation of OP created hell alot of hype. Being a OP user for last 5 years (1/3&6), i would say this OP 8 Pro is the first of it's kind product from OnePlus! This time they were never ready to settle for something, was innovative by bringing in best in class 120Hz panel, Memc tech, 5G capabilities etc. Even i was forced (kind of excitement) to buy OP 8 Pro although my Op 6 is still performing well. But there existed some inherent problems with Oneplus too, with their after sales & customer support. Since the devices are made with great build quality and craftsmanship, till op8 series, very small numbers of devices were prone to have defects. So only few consumers really faced the worst customer support of OnePlus (online & offline). Just call their customer support centre, you'll understand how stupid they are! Excellent hardware and polished OOS helped them to mask all their shortcomings in R&D. OOS is a world class product with many underlying diseases. You know, it will make your life hell, if you wont clear the cache after an update. How many knows that? A simple step will cure many issues, but users are not aware about that! Why can't they build an auto cache clear with update packages? Now the underlying problems have evolved and came out from the pit, and it's the time for OP to face it! They should acknowledge the issues by realeasing an official statement. Atleast for their future, they should do that. Being Silent, the issue is going to go out from their hands. If they acknowledge, they might face temporary backlash or losses but it wont hurt them for long. I myself made atleast 20 of my friends/relatives to buy OnePlus devices, so those 20 might have said their experience to another 40 and so on. This kind of mouth to mouth publicity of satisfied users helped them to reach no.1 premium smartphone maker in India. Now im starting to regret! Unless or until OnePlus solve the issues with OP 8 series, they are going to suffer very badly........ I still cant believe myself, that i have wasted 60000 rupees... #feeling_heartbroken

satyam.guptaa likes this.
  5. Goku_SuperSaiyan
    Honeycomb Jul 12, 2020

Goku_SuperSaiyan , via OnePlus 3T , Jul 12, 2020 :
    indeed perfect truth spoken

6. T1593303295843
    Cupcake Jul 12, 2020

7. JohnzyFitzgerald
    Gingerbread Jul 12, 2020

9. jaju123
    Gingerbread Jul 13, 2020

jaju123 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 13, 2020 :
    It might actually just be uneven wear on the screen from use (common with OLED displays). Thus, the status bar has not worn out as fast as the rest of the screen, causing the colour difference

Swejuggalo likes this.
  10. KASHISH_PURI , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Jul 13, 2020 :
    Is there a black/horizontal bar on your unit???

11. jaju123
    Gingerbread Jul 13, 2020

jaju123 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 13, 2020 :
    Yes there is, but it's quite faint and I really have to look for it on purpose. On the 8 pro it's definitely a hardware issue present from the factory, but on the 6t I'm saying it may be screen wear/burn in

12. Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Jul 13, 2020 :
    Exactly. Also there have been reports of image retention. The effect could be less or none at all if the screen gets enough rest without any bars visible in that area due to open apps and such.
    Some have had visible traces of WiFi, battery, mobile network symbols and such... Simply disable them and it goes away after somw time in the cases of not having reached permanent burn-in.

The bar is harder though. So many apps leaves a very clear bar. Although it may be displayed in various colors the bad habit of leaving it as a clearly visible stripe is far from optimal.

How often do you see a differently colored bar with absolutely no purpose other than being a bar? In many cases I guess it's the OS simply trying to set a fitting color when the app itself does not have it defined.

13. ronakbarman
    Froyo Jul 13, 2020

ronakbarman , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 13, 2020 :
    I have that "slight" bar, shifted to 60hz, gone, no bar, no tint issues, pixel perfect colours, but 120hz has spoiled me, so cant go back, i just increase the brightness up to 15% and dark theme, it's not there anymore, on white theme, you won't be able to see it al all.