Black Crush Display Issues

?

Are you experiencing black crush display issues on your OnePlus 7T Pro?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Unsure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HasanAA
    Donut Jun 3, 2020

HasanAA , Jun 3, 2020 :
    I have read the threads surrounding the black crush display issue and have been wondering if everyone with a OnePlus 7T Pro is experiencing this issue or if it's just specific users. I've been told it's a software issue, however, if only specific users are experiencing it, then isn't it a hardware issue? I would've expected this issue to be far bigger of a topic than what it currently is right now, however, it seems not many are speaking about it, making me further question whether it's actually software.

I've seen users suggest using screen balance to temporarily resolve the issue, however, I do not want to install that application for security and privacy reasons. Also, I just received the OnePlus update a few days ago which hasn't resolved the issue at all, so if screen balance could 'fix' the issue, then so could OnePlus. I'm from the UK so there isn't a OnePlus store for me to go to. This issue has been going on for a fair amount of time and I'm beginning to lose hope in OnePlus.

Edit:

Just to add, I have tried using DC Dimming, but I found that to just make things worse. Also, if the issue can be resolved in a software update, any date range on when this update can be expected because right now I have no idea if it'll be the next update, or in an update a few years down the line.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020

Alex.242 likes this.
  2. B_Wrath
    Nougat Jun 3, 2020

B_Wrath , Jun 3, 2020 :
    Many are, but everybody is creating their own thread which dilutes the discussion.

If you had already read threads about it, you should have continued discussion in the most active one of them.
    There is no need to create a new thread about it.

3. HasanAA
    Donut Jun 3, 2020

HasanAA , Jun 3, 2020 :
    Those threads aren't recieving much replies or new information. The OnePlus team seems to be fairly quiet with the issue, and as I've mentioned in my edit, no ETA has been given on when this issue is expected to be resolved, if it is truly a software issue.

Y.Singh likes this.
  4. B_Wrath
    Nougat Jun 3, 2020

B_Wrath , Jun 3, 2020 :
    Exactly because of the issue I mentioned. Everybody creates their own thread just like you did. So how will any conversation or discussion sustain?
    Because instead of providing feedback and bug reports, people only create threads here. This is a user forum. You interact most with fellow users. Only if a thread captures traction and many people interact in one thread, no thread comes under the focus of company.
    Same as above. Unless they get multiple bug reports and feedback, why would they even think about it?

5. HasanAA
    Donut Jun 3, 2020

HasanAA , Jun 3, 2020 :
    I've spoken to their support and given them feedback. However, I've just been told to wait for a software update with no ETA. I see many threads on overheating/battery issues, however, I see far less threads/comments on the black crush issue, making me doubt it's software that needs fixing. What I truly wanna know is whether this issue is software or hardware, cause I don't want to wait for a software update that never arrives, or a phone/screen replacement that faces the same issues.

Alex.242 likes this.

HasanAA likes this.
  7. N1569844049201
    Cupcake Jun 5, 2020

HasanAA likes this.
  8. HasanAA
    Donut Jun 6, 2020

HasanAA , Jun 6, 2020 :
    Seeing that two people voted in the poll that their devices haven't been affected by the black crush issue, I'm starting to get worried that this could be a hardware issue, unless those two users aren't sure of what black crush is or they haven't updated their devices for some time.

9. Liehjan
    Lollipop Jun 6, 2020

Liehjan , Jun 6, 2020 :
    Not everyone uses their phone on lowest brightness... guess that could be one reason for the votes, they don't see it

10. HasanAA
    Donut Jun 6, 2020

HasanAA , Jun 6, 2020 :
    The issue is that I can also see the black crush when on the max level of brightness.

11. Liehjan
    Lollipop Jun 6, 2020

Liehjan , Jun 6, 2020 :
    I only have it on lowest brightness at night on my device

12. Alex.242 , via OnePlus 7 Pro Mirror Gray , Jun 6, 2020 :
    at the maximum brightness you can not see it only if you take a closer look, but if you scenes where there is a black crush and then makes the brightness higher, it is still there

13. flither
    Gingerbread Jun 6, 2020

flither , Jun 6, 2020 :
    I know what the black crush is, I often use the phone with almost minimal brightness and it's still ok even in the darkest scenes.
    And yeah, I'm staying on 10.0.7 to avoid surprises. Everything works alright, great battery, why to change

14. Alex.242 , via OnePlus 7 Pro Mirror Gray , Jun 6, 2020 :
    I think this is a big problem. Shadows are always pixelated. Not only on videos but also on photos. You can fix it a bit with an app called screen balance. set it up to fluorescent(warm) and strength to 60%. Try it out. So I think that is a software Issue.

15. HasanAA
    Donut Jun 6, 2020

HasanAA , Jun 6, 2020 :
    OnePlus customer support have suggested flashing my device to solve the issue. Has anyone tried this, and did it make a difference?

17. HasanAA
    Donut Jun 7, 2020

HasanAA , Jun 7, 2020 :
    Flashing in this case is basically re-installing the Oxygen OS. Everything is erased from the device during this process, so you need to make a backup of your stuff first. According to Customer Support, they'll do this for you remotely, and they claim it fixes the black crush display issue. I just wanna know if anyone's tried this and if it worked.

18. N1569844049201
    Cupcake Jun 7, 2020

19. HasanAA
    Donut Jun 9, 2020

HasanAA , Jun 9, 2020 :
    Alright, I've just realised something. If I am playing a HDR Video on YouTube in a browser app (Chrome, Firefox, etc), black crush is displayed, however, if I play the same HDR Video on the YouTube app, no black crush is displayed and the colours are all fine. So this means that HDR content isn't affected by the black crush, but non-HDR content is affected.

Here's a video you can use to test this yourself. Play it in the Google Chrome app, and then play it in the YouTube app to see the difference.

N1569844049201 likes this.
  20. N1569844049201
    Cupcake Jun 10, 2020

N1569844049201 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Jun 10, 2020 :
    yeah even i checked.
    HDR works on YouTube without any kind of black pixels