Bloatware. Why, OnePlus?

1. willy_resumed
    Honeycomb Feb 4, 2015

willy_resumed , Feb 4, 2015 :
    So, you say 1 is not bloatware but 30 is. How about 2,3,4,5 etc. When does it become bloatware to you? Is it just when someone other than OP shoves it down your throat. Who defines that it is bloatware? You or me?

It is unbelievable that all the fan boys will accept anything that OP ships their way. Yellow screens, touch issues, bloatware etc. To you boys, you cannot see the shitstorm coming until you can actually smell it. Enjoy your bloatware and never disagree with the great OP!!!!!!!!!

Andrew Z, Sonywalk and RedXI like this.
  2. xraysean
    Jelly Bean Feb 4, 2015

3. laanrobe
    Honeycomb Feb 4, 2015

laanrobe , Feb 4, 2015 :
    I did not have SwiftKey installed on my One either out of the box. I think SwiftKey is overhyped and overrated. I did install it and use it for a while, but got very annoyed with it. I now use Swype (the original) and it is infinitely better IMHO, YMMV.

ohmer38 and RedXI like this.
  4. skritch
    Gingerbread Feb 4, 2015

skritch , Feb 4, 2015 :
    I was referring to when he said "Will it come free with the new OS? :eek:
    Too bad I paid for it over a year ago then :(", apparently referring to Swiftkey.

5. mwm341
    Honeycomb Feb 4, 2015

mwm341 , Feb 4, 2015 :
    So let me get this straight: You want the operating system and nothing else, so that you can download only what you need, right?

If that's what you want, there's the Nexus line of produ -no, those come with a bunch of Google apps. Okay, How about CM12? Nope, there are Cyanogenmod changes in there, too.

Tell you what -- consider going through the source code, ripping out what you think you don't need and compiling the rest? It'll be smaller and faster if it works. Upgrading won't be easy, and compatibility with anything else would be debatable.

Adam Krisko likes this.
  6. badger906
    Jelly Bean Feb 4, 2015

7. opo_tunity
    Jelly Bean Feb 4, 2015

opo_tunity , Feb 4, 2015 :
    I jest, but I understand where you are coming from. If they gain any traction in the market then there is a chance that they will look to bundle software with the product that might have adverse effects on privacy, or general usability.

I'd guess that a similar issue to what you are talking about is where Ubuntu added Amazon search to their search function. The issue being that all keystrokes in the search function were sent to Amazon, regardless of whether you were searching locally or for an actual Amazon function. I am not sure if you could initially opt out our not, and it is around this time that I completely swore off Ubunbu (although in fairness, I've run Linux Mint since version 6 - but I had been considering using if for work for a while).

It was to help the community naturally, not because Amazon paid any money for some free keystroke logging.

http://www.networkworld.com/article...on-ubuntu-s-controversial-amazon-feature.html

prim8 and Adam Krisko like this.
  8. opo_tunity
    Jelly Bean Feb 4, 2015

Personally I just type, and hit the predictive word as soon as I can. Stock does me on any system, as long as there is predictive text, or a spell checker :) .

9. AndyPober
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 4, 2015

AndyPober , Feb 4, 2015 :
    Read some of the posts above. Some people are using Swype, some people other keyboards. The point is that you should have a choice and not have something forced upon you. One man's fish is another man's poisson. Or is it meat?

Deactivated User, ohmer38 and rwmchan like this.
  10. opo_tunity
    Jelly Bean Feb 4, 2015

I think the concern is with partnerships e.g. when Dell joined with Nortel(?), or Java with Ask Jeeves (?), or Ubuntu with Amazon. If they are paying a fee, they probably expect something in return. This type of negotiation can help a customer in the short term e.g. getting a product cheaper, but can have a longer term negative effect if it starts to impact usability. An example being Touchwiz. Designed to help, but difficult to remove. You can flash a new ROM, but what percentage of Samsung people do that? OPO is niche at the moment, but the company cannot really want it to stay niche forever. That would be a death sentence. It will be interesting to see how they propel themselves into the mass market, through careful partnerships, through whomever will pay to get on our phone partnerships, or just purely a good product.

You could argue that the Cyanogen partnership is a careful partnership. Swiftkey is possibly a careful one also as it is very popular, however it may be an indication to the market that if you can convince us, the company, then you can get on the phone. That could go wonderfully well, or dreadfully wrong. Time, or Oxygen OS will tell :)

krshnaan, mwm341, RedXI and 1 other person like this.
  11. badger906
    Jelly Bean Feb 4, 2015

badger906 , Feb 4, 2015 :
    you do have a choice, to delete swiftkey and go on as if your life was never effected by the hardship of 4 button presses.

PatsyG likes this.
  12. Skf123
    Marshmallow Feb 4, 2015

Skf123 , Feb 4, 2015 :
    It's pretty annoying that they are charging users that purchased swiftkey when it was a paid app, they should make all the themes free for old users and only charge those that installed swiftkey as a free app.

gmanphx likes this.
  13. AndyPober

As you're free to clean it up when your neighbor's dog craps on your lawn. That doesn't make it all right.

prim8, Andrew Z and RedXI like this.
  14. AndyPober

When SwiftKey changed its business model from chargeable to freemium they gave paid users some free skins. You can't expect them to give away everything forever.

15. 007onex
    Gingerbread Feb 4, 2015

007onex , Feb 4, 2015 :
    LOL its like saying Google keyboard is also a bloatware

JohnnyB likes this.
  16. blisside
    KitKat Feb 4, 2015

17. opo_tunity
    Jelly Bean Feb 4, 2015

That comment was already made.

18. Archnibbler
    Honeycomb Feb 4, 2015

Archnibbler , Feb 4, 2015 :
    Ummm...didn't you say that you use Swiftkey anyway? So what difference does it make? If anything, it's better for you because now you don't have to download it. It'll be pre-installed.

19. 007onex
    Gingerbread Feb 4, 2015

007onex , Feb 4, 2015 :
    Didn't c that

20. opo_tunity
    Jelly Bean Feb 4, 2015

The poster is making a "slippery slope" comment. It could be a one off, or it could be the start of what becomes OP's Touchwiz via their own Oxygen OS (or what ever the new non Cyanogen mod is called).