BLU R1 HD Review

1. funmunke
    Marshmallow Jul 14, 2016

funmunke , Jul 14, 2016 :
    I’ve owned BLU phones in the past. They’ve come a long way, but they’ve never been an incredible value despite their low price point. Their software isn’t consistent between devices and they often left you wishing they just went with stock Android.

When I saw the BLU R1 HD with 16GB of RAM for under $60, I had to give it a shot. If nothing else it would be a good backup phone.

I started really poking around and started to realize that Amazon must be seriously supplementing BLU to hit this price point, sure Amazon gets to place some ads on the phone, but that wouldn’t explain everything.

Let me put it this way – A $60 phone that has Dual SIM, expandable storage, the vital GSM bands (band 12 coming via an OTA update), 2GB of RAM (unseen at this price point), a front facing flash, and a decent design. On top of that they actually pull off curved glass on this phone? Oh, and they add a metal trim to give it a more premium feel.

This is possibly the best (all things considered) phone BLU has ever made.

This phone is the best phone you can get in the budget phone market. You cannot beat it, if you are a prime member. Non-prime members have to pay almost double to get this phone.

Now take the following with a grain of salt. Remember, this is a $60 phone.
    CAMERA – It’s okay at best. I gets the job done, but it’s not a great camera. It’s 8MP and can record at 1080p. Just don’t expect it to match one of the flagship phones and you’ll be happy.

SCREEN – It looks good. It’s not amazing, but I don’t find it distracting either. The only time you’ll really notice that it’s not fantastic is if you put it right next to really good screen.

GSM ONLY – I actually count this as a bonus, but some people really like being locked into Verizon or Sprint. Sadly there is no option for you. This is going to be a GSM only phone.

SIZE – This is always a sore point for people. Some people are going to say that this phone is too small, while others are going to complain it’s not big enough. I like the size. It strikes a middle ground and it’s not clunky.
    Overall this is an amazing phone for $60. It’s almost unbelievable. I give this phone a big thumbs up for anyone who is looking for a backup phone or needs a good budget phone.

SIDE NOTE – I’ve never seen BLU push a major update. I’ve seen some security patches, but that’s about it. They claim this will someday get Nutella. I’ll believe it when I see it. Plan on having Marshmallow for quite a while.

Unboxing - IMAG0087.jpg IMAG0088.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016

2. Jitesh Saitawadekar
    KitKat Jul 14, 2016

Jitesh Saitawadekar , Jul 14, 2016 :
    It seems you took my words seriously and gave it a shot for $60 phone :p remember my thread on this phone ???? :D glad that it got something out of it ;) lucky you no offers for Amazon India :( :tearsofjoy:

funmunke likes this.
  3. jimberkas
    KitKat Jul 14, 2016

jimberkas , Jul 14, 2016 :
    i received this same phone yesterday. I was SHOCKED by the build quality. This is a well built phone and it feel excellent in the hand. Its my first BLU phone and I've been curious about them for awhile. I agree completely with your review.
    I do wish their was a bit more customization options in the UI, but that's about my only complaint. I did try installing Next Lock and some other 3rd party lockscreens but they don't always block the amazon lockscreen ads. About half the time, I end up just dealing with two lockscreens in a row. I uninstalled the 3rd party lockscreens and the amazon ads haven't really been a issue.
    I tinkered with it on wifi only last night but today I popped my SIM in their so I'll give it a more thorough test for a few days.
    I'm not convinced it will replace my trusty old LG G2 but its surprisingly good. I might buy another just for funsies.
    I also got the G4 with ads that will deliver today. I'll wait awhile before testing that one out.
    anyway, I will definitely be recommending the BLU phone to family and friends who are looking for a cheap phone.

4. funmunke
    Marshmallow Jul 14, 2016

Given a little time someone might roll out a ROM for this thing. That processor has been in some other phones that already have ROMs so let's hope.

meatandy and jimberkas like this.
  5. luxuskamel
    Lollipop Jul 14, 2016

funmunke likes this.
  6. funmunke
    Marshmallow Jul 14, 2016

I should also note - this is the 16GB + 2GB of RAM model. There is a 8GB 1GB RAM model for ten dollars less.

jimberkas likes this.
  7. jimberkas
    KitKat Jul 14, 2016

jimberkas , Jul 14, 2016 :
    isn't that strange? for $10, is there anybody who will buy the 1GB/8GB version of the phone?? I'm quite surprised that they'd even bother producing that.

funmunke likes this.
  8. funmunke
    Marshmallow Jul 14, 2016

Indeed. That's a huge value for an extra $10. If it was Apple that would $100+ more.

9. milkdude
    KitKat Jul 14, 2016

milkdude , Jul 14, 2016 :
    Agree with you on the updates, I have had some Blu phones for a few years .
    Currently still have a Vivo XL and a Vivo 5, got the Vivo XL on promo for 99.00, best value I have gotten in one of their phones.
    The R1 looks similar to the life one X(2016) version.

meatandy and funmunke like this.
  10. funmunke
    Marshmallow Jul 14, 2016

meatandy likes this.
  11. funmunke
    Marshmallow Jul 14, 2016

meatandy likes this.
  12. milkdude
    KitKat Sep 8, 2016

milkdude , Sep 8, 2016 :
    @funmunke any thoughts on picking up a Blu Pure XR...?
    Almost picked one up, but it lacks some bands, and I'm hearing reviews that the home button(fps) and the volume keys rattle a bit.

13. funmunke
    Marshmallow Sep 8, 2016

funmunke , Sep 8, 2016 :
    I haven't checked that one out. The R1 is surprisingly solid. Nothing rattles on that thing.

meatandy likes this.
  14. milkdude
    KitKat Sep 8, 2016

milkdude , Sep 8, 2016 :
    Take a look, nice phone for 299.00
    Lacks band 12 and 17 I believe.
    Phone appears to made by Gionee, which also made the Vivo XL.

15. funmunke
    Marshmallow Sep 8, 2016

funmunke , Sep 8, 2016 :
    I'm on TMobile so no 12 is a killer for me.

meatandy likes this.
  16. milkdude
    KitKat Sep 9, 2016

milkdude , Sep 9, 2016 :
    Ya agreed, I'm on TMO as well, and no band 12 is a breaker for me. ended up grabbing a couple Honor 5X's just for fun. not to bad after you put Nova on it. MIUI really hurts that devices performance.

funmunke and meatandy like this.