Bluetooth call quality

1. ahdc
    Eclair Dec 1, 2015

ahdc , Dec 1, 2015 :
    I always use bluetooth headsets for calling but ever since I got OP2, I'm getting constant complaints for my voice quality over bluetooth. I tried calling different people and using different bluetooths but the problem persists on all of them. So far I tried Jabra Stealth, Jabra Eclipse, Plantronics M70 and Plantronics Edge with my OP2 and people on the other end said my voice wasn't clear on all of them. They said my voice was muddy and muffled. Previously, I had Oneplus One and all of these headsets used to work perfectly and I got no complaints. Another thing is, I updated to 2.1.2 straight out of the box when I received OP2, so I have no idea if this is a bug on 2.1.2 specifically.

I can live with the dual-sim bug and imperfect fingerprint sensor but this issue alone is making me regret my purchase.

Let me know if there's any solution or it's only my device that seems to have the problem?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015

Rogier123 likes this.
  2. billq
    Jelly Bean Dec 2, 2015

billq , Dec 2, 2015 :
    I only use my car Bluetooth but no one has commented of poor sound and its perfect through my system

3. ahdc
    Eclair Dec 5, 2015

ahdc , Dec 5, 2015 :
    Maybe it's a bug in this particular device or maybe it's a bug in 2.1.2. I am verifying the latter by returning back to 2.1.1.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015

4. Nvds
    Froyo Dec 5, 2015

Nvds , Dec 5, 2015 :
    I ve got sound quality problems in my car as well, often the sound isn't clear, kind of disturbed at moments, not all the time.
    But it's annoying when you're in the middle of a conversation. Hopefully they will fix this by the next update

5. ahdc
    Eclair Dec 6, 2015

ahdc , Dec 6, 2015 :
    I will be reverting back to 2.0.0 as I checked another OP2 running 2.0.0 with my bluetooth under the same condition and it didn't have the issue that I was facing on my OP2.

Can anybody mention the steps for reverting back to 2.0.0 ? I am on an unrooted stock 2.1.2 rom.

6. yashbm
    Froyo Dec 6, 2015

yashbm , Dec 6, 2015 :
    Flash full zip 2.1.1 links on page 1

ahdc likes this.
  7. tEf0o
    Jelly Bean Dec 6, 2015

tEf0o , Dec 6, 2015 :
    Do it report correct bt connection ?

Have you tryed turning off wifi, data, gps n similar if helps ?
    Wifi is prone to interfere with bt, so is lte.

To make shure its software issues of bt.

8. aljawalsystems
    Cupcake Dec 6, 2015

aljawalsystems , Dec 6, 2015 :
    You describe my exact situation but with lg and samsung BT

9. tEf0o
    Jelly Bean Dec 7, 2015

tEf0o , Dec 7, 2015 :
    Do it say low quality sound in bt settings in unit configuration?
    I had a hs that had several modes, after changing to "hi def" sound was great.

10. ahdc
    Eclair Dec 7, 2015

ahdc , Dec 7, 2015 :

I have actually tried with every single combination that was out there. Turning off LTE, Wifi, GPS, Data and several bluetooth configurations. Nothing worked yet. I was thinking this might be an inherent problem in all OP2s.

But, yesterday I used another OP2 which was on 2.0.0 using the same bluetooth and people said I sounded way better.

So last night, I FLASHED 2.0.0 and it seems to be doing the trick. I am not getting any complaints from the other end plus the people whom I spoke to regularly are saying that I am sounding better. It's too early to say that bluetooth quality issues have been resolved completely, but lets see for another day.

11. ahdc
    Eclair Dec 7, 2015

ahdc , Dec 7, 2015 :
    Thanks, the steps I mentioned earlier was correct. I flashed 2.0.0 btw.

12. yashbm
    Froyo Dec 7, 2015

yashbm , Dec 7, 2015 :
    1. did u flash via stock recovery ?? full zip ... ? from 2.1.2 ??

2. clean flash(wipe data and cache) or diry flash (only cache wipe) ??

13. ahdc
    Eclair Dec 7, 2015

ahdc , Dec 7, 2015 :
    Yeah I flashed full zip 2.0.0 via stock recovery. I did a clean flash: wipe data and cache.

14. yashbm
    Froyo Dec 7, 2015

yashbm , Dec 7, 2015 :
    thankx mate :) i ll revert back to 2.1.1....

15. tEf0o
    Jelly Bean Dec 7, 2015

tEf0o , Dec 7, 2015 :
    Ah them bugs,
    How do it feel to be the beta tester for them ? ;)

Must relly been crappy sound then, i thot it was bit errors or low bandwidth or similar.

16. Rogier123
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 7, 2015

Rogier123 , Dec 7, 2015 :
    Got the exact same problem with my brand new Ford Focus 2015.

When i call, people often say that my voice is cracking up and is of poor quality, which makes a conversation impossible.

Since the problem is solved by returing to a earlyer software versikb, i assume its a software problem?

My knowlige about flashing and stuff is zero, so the future of my phone is in the hands of OP and a new OTA software version. :(

17. tEf0o
    Jelly Bean Dec 7, 2015

tEf0o , Dec 7, 2015 :
    Why Android's lack of "uninstall of updates" like on windows is another major issue.

Read up on dirty flash n stuff, its doable

18. ahdc
    Eclair Dec 7, 2015

ahdc , Dec 7, 2015 :

Wait up, don't do it.

I still have the problem. After speaking to the people several times today (whom I speak to regularly) they said my voice hasn't improved. So basically, reverting back to 2.0.0 hasn't fixed the problem.

You can try another phone in your car to just confirm if there isn't any problem with the bluetooth configuration of your car. I haven't tried with my car, but I know, it will sound bad as it does in 4 different bluetooths.

19. Rogier123
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 7, 2015

Rogier123 , Dec 7, 2015 :
    Ive tested it with 5 different phones (IPhone, Windows phone and different androïd). All work fine except the OT2.

Went back to the garage to get the latest software for my car, didnt improve.

20. ahdc
    Eclair Dec 7, 2015

ahdc , Dec 7, 2015 :
    It feels bad.
    I get complaints from almost 9/10 of the people I speak to. There are two issues at play. One is bad voice quality and the other one is, if the other person is speaking and if I say something in the middle (like suppose interrupting a conversation) then the other person won't be able to hear what I said. This becomes quite annoying in a long conversation because the other person continuously asks me to repeat what I said and at the same time, I have to ask them too if they hear what I just said.

Worst thing is, I was on Oneplus One before this and everything worked perfectly. Only that after couple of months the phone started lagging, I decided to switch to a Nexus 5X which lagged even more and then I made the switch to Oneplus 2 which didn't lag and was great in all respects, expect this.

Rogier123 and yashbm like this.