[Submitted] Bluetooth icon is missing on Android 9.0

1. landov
    Gingerbread Sep 22, 2018

landov , Sep 22, 2018 :
    Bluetooth icon is missing in status bar - even it is enabled (see screenshot)

RiDEN, kokkoz and sauron.cnp like this.
  2. sauron.cnp
    Honeycomb Sep 22, 2018

sauron.cnp , Sep 22, 2018 :
    Issue confirmed

RiDEN likes this.
  3. RiDEN
    Froyo Sep 23, 2018

4. umeshtangnu
    Cupcake Sep 24, 2018

5. muurain
    Donut Sep 24, 2018

6. Huigiebaby
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 24, 2018

7. muurain
    Donut Sep 24, 2018

muurain , Sep 24, 2018 :
    Yeah, after a quick Google search it seems like this is the way it works on Android Pie.

In my opinion this new functionality hides important information from user. Bluetooth left enabled keeps the radio always on and thus drains battery faster.

Instead of bluetooth, we now have the massive VoLTE and VoWiFi icons first in status bar. These do not affect daily use and now cover most of the statusbar leaving other more important icons like hidden.

8. Huigiebaby
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 24, 2018

Huigiebaby , Sep 24, 2018 :
    Have you EVER noticed a difference in battery life with bluetooth on and off? If it's not used it's put to sleep...

9. muurain
    Donut Sep 24, 2018

muurain , Sep 24, 2018 :
    Actually I have. Indeed the bluetooth battery drain while in standby is nowadays pretty small. Some users on Reddit estimate its about 1-2%. But then again, power saving isn't about a single power draining component, but all of them combined.

There are also still many devices and their companion apps that do not utilize the latest low energy bluetooth features.
    For example my receiver uses some old bluetooth version and is always on. If the phone bluetooth is accidentally left on standby, it might automatically connect to the receiver and drain the battery in matter of hours. This also applies to many older bluetooth speakers, headphones and game controllers, just to name some.