Blurring the Lines Between Smartphone Cameras and a DSLR

1. cdnfarmer
    Photography Expert Community Expert Nov 20, 2020

cdnfarmer , Nov 20, 2020 :
    and this is what I tried to say. :).. ok this Wonder picture was taken by a good photographer" might be words I use... But this is what I was trying to get across. Thanks for giving me the better words. ;):)

woSch, Bouncer71, jlasensiofi and 2 others like this.
  2. cdnfarmer
    Photography Expert Community Expert Nov 20, 2020

cdnfarmer , Nov 20, 2020 :
    Here is where I think smartphones cameras have their strengths. They are portable. Most people in have them in the pockets or hands, capture that spontaneous moments, and quite frankly situation where a big camera and need focus lens manually maybe difficult. For example, while outside, I had dragonflies land on me. I would not be able to hold my DSLR with one hand and take the picture without athe creature flying away. However with my phone I was able to take 20 or so pictures and tried different modes and even used pro mode making adjustments while the dragonfly "posed for me".

woSch, Bouncer71, jlasensiofi and 2 others like this.
  3. script
    Nougat Moderator Nov 20, 2020

woSch, cdnfarmer, Bouncer71 and 3 others like this.
  4. otto2
    Photography Expert Nov 20, 2020

otto2 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Nov 20, 2020 :
    Great example, thank you. I remember the dragonfly pictures. 👍😀

woSch, cdnfarmer, Bouncer71 and 3 others like this.
  5. Helder_DAlmeida , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Nov 20, 2020 :
    Computational photography has evolved a lot and through smartphones, it is available for a greater diversity of individuals. Prices vary but are lower when buying a smartphone vs DSLR. I think that for most people, it's only for point and shoot, then put a filter and post it on social networks, computational photography is more than enough at this point. I see the exhaustive comparisons of photographs taken by several smartphones and they all serve this purpose very well. For a more demanding user who uses photography as a professional tool, I think that the greater versatility of DSLRs in changing lenses as well as sensors etc ... They will always produce a better result when it comes to work. I am not surprised if, in the near future, the differences are further reduced between smartphones and DSLR, both in terms of hardware and software.

6. Mark Falsing
    Jelly Bean Moderator Nov 20, 2020

Mark Falsing , Nov 20, 2020 :
    I don't think a smartphone cam will ever reach the level of a DSLR in terms of image quality. But it's an interesting topic to bring up, because for most people the image quality of current smartphones is enough for the majority of people around.
    The smartphone has basically destroyed the pocket camera segment. The versatility of a smartphone cam is also amazing especially for spur in the moment shots.
    But it still blows my mind that some pictures taken by a smartphone can be so awesome with the right conditions.

However with the technological advances in smartphones pretty much levelling off. The battle of smartphones today is camera comparison, how fast the phone charges and design comparisons. Hopefully this will lead to fantastic camera tech in the future.

8. AritraDeb
    Froyo Nov 20, 2020

AritraDeb , via OnePlus Nord , Nov 20, 2020 :
    There is quite a line. People who use the Auto mode of a DSLR will probably find a smartphone's camera to be better. May it be an OnePlus, or a Pixel or an iPhone. But, those who use the manual mode of a semi-frame or full-frame DSLR know the power of a DSLR. DSLR is for photography enthusiasts. Just like OnePlus is 'mostly' for mobile centric gaming enthusiasts.

woSch, cdnfarmer and Bouncer71 like this.

woSch likes this.
  10. otto2

otto2 , Nov 20, 2020 :
    Define " better" ???

And maybe we should check sales of compact cameras AND DSLR s, too- they re going down for years now.

So there s a lot of competition in my eyes.

Bouncer71 and Helder_DAlmeida like this.
  11. ashishlp007
    Gingerbread Nov 20, 2020

kedarkarthikeya and otto2 like this.
  12. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Nov 20, 2020

Bouncer71 , Nov 20, 2020 :
    I've been shooting more with my Smartphones OP3 / OP3T / OP7Pro in the past years, than with my Lumix DMC-TZ61...
    Always trying to get the best out of the phones cameras and exploring the possibilities...
    Also been comparing the Lumix to some of my older devices LG 3G, Huawei Y6...
    All Smartphones have one thing in common...
    They totally lack accurate Whitebalance and colors plus often overexpose on Auto..

So...
    I find it very odd that you say the Sony photo of the creature Poro, would need a lot of editing to look good..?
    It's evenly exposed...
    The OP8Pro shot is the one that needs the tweeking being overexposed to be honest..
    Actually look kinda flat..
    IMG_20201118_135428.jpg

After editing...

IMG_20201118_135428.jpg

Side by side

PSX_20201120_181545.jpg

Don't get me wrong...
    I stand by "Every digital photo needs editing" be it DSLR, DSLM, Smartphones...
    But Smartphone photos need more tweeking than vise versa is my opinion...😉

And I might add that those open Apertures don't do Smartphones any good except for low light shots...

13. MalayJ
    Eclair Nov 20, 2020

14. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Nov 20, 2020

TibiTibi, otto2, woSch and 2 others like this.
  15. EbyPrasad7
    Donut Nov 20, 2020

EbyPrasad7 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Nov 20, 2020 :
    I got my Oneplus 8 pro because my DSLR was too hectic to carry around everywhere I go. So for portable photography, mobile phones cams are best. In terms of quality of image... welp, phone cams can't hold a candle to DSLRs.

So finally it all comes to this:

*Professional Quality Images : DSLRs hands down

*Portability and easiness : Mobile cams (obviously you'll be using a phone these days, so why not add in a few top notch mobile cams as well?)

otto2, Bouncer71 and woSch like this.
  16. woSch

woSch , Nov 20, 2020 :
    I remember that i wrote years ago (op2 Times ;)) that the quality of the pictures for me is not good enough for prints in A4, since my 5T I'm printing pictures up to A3+ and no one can clearly distinguish DSLR/aps-c (Sony a77ii), bridge (Sony dsc-f717) & Smartphone (5T, 7pro, 8T-Kebab).

There is a gap and there will always be a gap cause of physics in photography, some can be 'workarounded' by software. The main point is knowing the limitations in Smartphone Photography and avoiding them and this matters to skills and experience in Photography and results in stunning pictures.

But yes, it's more and more challenging to take pictures with dslr/mirrorless that show the advantages on first sight.

18. TheGadgetGirl
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Nov 21, 2020

woSch likes this.
  19. khan1992
    Froyo Nov 21, 2020

20. ANIX JOJU SEBASTIAN
    Gingerbread Nov 21, 2020

AritraDeb likes this.