Blurry Document Photos via OnePlus 8 Pro

1. jhm718
    Donut Mar 19, 2021

jhm718 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Mar 19, 2021 :
    I am certain this has everything to do with my not understanding high quality cameras.

I use my phone to take pictures of a lot of documents, and they are always crystal clear in the center and blurry on the edges. Two notes:

1. This only happens AFTER I take the picture. Everything is clear on the screen, but the post-processing messes it up.

2. The only fix I have found is to use the Zoomed in mode on the camera. That eliminates the blurry edges.

Unfortunately, apps like my banking app do not give me camera settings, so I cannot use the work around. All my check deposits are blurry.

Help! (And thank you.)

M1642497162252 and Vadik1999 like this.
  2. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Community Expert Mar 19, 2021

Dresa91 , Mar 19, 2021 :
    Hey,

did you check the camera in safe mode?
    What OxygenOS version are you using?
    Did you clear cache of the camera app?
    What are the circumstances when you photograph the documents? Light, dark background?

3. ShreyasPatil_
    Jelly Bean Mar 19, 2021

4. jhm718
    Donut Mar 19, 2021

Yes, same behavior in Office Lens.

5. ShreyasPatil_
    Jelly Bean Mar 19, 2021

ShreyasPatil_ , via OnePlus 8T , Mar 19, 2021 :
    You have to submit feedback via the community app to help the team debug the issues.
    1) Go to the home page
    2) Tap on the bottom right corner +icon
    3) Tap Feedback
    4) Select the category of issues you are facing
    5) Explain the issues and submit
    6) After that log kit would start capturing logs.
    7) Reproduce the steps by which the bugs occur.
    8) Go to status bar notification and tap on log kit notification and stop it after the issues are recorded.

Capture the appropriate bug logs and submit it.

6. jhm718
    Donut Mar 19, 2021

OS 11.0.4.4.IN11AA

Always a bright environment, with variable but often dark background.

Haven't done safe mode or clear cache because it didn't seem like anything was broken, it just seemed like a dumb advanced setting I couldn't figure out.

7. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Mar 19, 2021 :
    Please try it.
    You can also perform a factory reset.

8. jhm718
    Donut Mar 19, 2021

Not sure this is a bug, per se, but I am willing to do that, sure .

9. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Mar 19, 2021 :
    So, you think is a sw issue?

10. jhm718
    Donut Mar 19, 2021

I do, specifically because the image is perfectly clear in the viewer, which I imagine would not be true if the hardware were damaged. It is clearly happening in the post-processing. I can only describe it as though it were putting on a focus filter. But since it happens across multiple apps, it is not an app filter, so my guess is something to do with how the OS deals with the camera, maybe?

11. ShreyasPatil_
    Jelly Bean Mar 19, 2021

Since the viewfinder is showing clear image and the final image is getting blurred it's some issue in image processing.

Although I recommend you to visit service centre once.

12. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Mar 19, 2021 :
    Then please clear cache of camera and in recovery .
    Then, if you still face the issue, reset the phone.
    If you still facing the issue after the reset, give feedback as mentioned here:
    Or use this link:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/feedback/

13. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Mar 19, 2021 :
    And they would suggest a reset and update :D

14. ShreyasPatil_
    Jelly Bean Mar 19, 2021

If phone is in warranty they will have to solve the issue by replacement or whatever possible solution is needed.

15. jhm718
    Donut Mar 19, 2021

Cleared the camera services cache. Did some testing. It turns out that I am wrong (at least in the camera app). The blurriness does appear in the viewfinder. But the 3x Zoom work around continues to work. Attached are a 1x and 3x version of the same document.

I will head over to Feedback now.
    1616132372813.jpg

1616132372890.jpg

16. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Mar 19, 2021 :
    Then could be a HW issue and the feedback tool won’t work, because it’s no SW issue
    Please visit a service center or contact support via www.oneplus.com/support

17. Does!Compute
    KitKat Mar 19, 2021

Does!Compute , Mar 19, 2021 :
    Hey!
    Just saw this thread right now, and although a lot of discussion has already happened, let me give you a better idea of what is really happening.
    The main camera is a 1/1.43 inch sensor, and the 3x camera is a 1/3 inch sensor.
    The larger the sensor, the shallower the depth of field, which leads to a stronger Bokeh effect (better distinction between foreground and background).
    When you are scanning a document, the camera tends to focus on the centre of the image (centre-metering). Hence, the plane of focus in exactly at a distance equal to the distance between the camera and the point of focus.
    As I mentioned, the larger the sensor, the shallower the depth of field. This leads to a Bokeh effect as we move away from the plane of focus even a little. Unless your phone is exactly parallel to the document, chances are that some part of the document may not be in the focus plane, which leads to a slight Bokeh around the edges and corners.
    The greater the deviation from the centre, the greater the Bokeh and softer the edges.
    Hope I helped clarify the physics here.
    Now for a solution, use the ultea-wide angle camera and crop the image accordingly. Adobe Scan gives you an option to convert any image to a document. So click the image of the document using the Camera app's ultra-wide camera, and then make it into a document using Adobe Scan.
    Hope it helps :)
    If my post helped answer your question, please do mark it as the Best Answer for the thread, as it will help others with the same query

18. ShreyasPatil_
    Jelly Bean Mar 19, 2021

Submit feedback with camera samples

Maybe submitting feedback would help him know what exactly the issue is.

The focal length and depth of field isn't fixed in camera brother. It changes according to the subject. And clicking picture of documents is unrelated to what you are explaining.

Dresa91 likes this.
  19. Does!Compute
    KitKat Mar 19, 2021

Does!Compute , Mar 19, 2021 :
    Generally, the farther the focal plane, the less shallow the depth of field. In this case, the focal plane is generally 1-1.5 feet away (12-18 inches), atleast when I scan documents, I scan it from this distance. At this distance, it is the depth of field is rather shallow, so if the paper isn't exactly parallel to the camera, some part of it will be outside the focus plane. This out-of-focus part looks blurry or soft. A workaround is to use the ultra-wide camera, which has a smaller sensor, hence a less shallow depth of field (precisely why OnePlus itself resorts to auto-macro mode earlier than required on the 8 Pro, even when the main camera is able to focus at nearby objects). People who are great at capturing flatlays don't face this issue.
    Like in the example image posted above by the user comparing 1x and 3x, the image from the main camera is soft around the left edge, as the page was not parallel to the phone. The camera always focuses at the centre (centre-metering), unless it detects a face or object, which led to a sharp centre. The right side of the page is curved away lesser from the centre, and it is relatively better in focus, hence a little sharper than the left edge. The shooting distance for the 1x camera seems to be around a foot, sufficient for a shallow depth of field. If the user shoots at a distance of 5 feet, and then crops, the whole page will be much better in focus, as longer the focus distance, less shallow the depth of field.
    (A similar "issue” was reported by multiple reviewers for the S20 Ultra and Note 20 Ultra as well, which have an even bigger sensor at 1/1.33 inches)

J4t1np4r3kh, jhm718 and Dresa91 like this.
  20. Unknown1plus
    Gingerbread Mar 19, 2021