Books & Reading habits

1. a_agarwal_
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 13, 2020

a_agarwal_ , May 13, 2020 :
    Books! :):):)
    I haven't really been able to take up any reading in the quarantine, though my profession itself requires me to read a hell lot :D (though that's the most boring academic stuff).
    I am totally against marking, folding, etc. To any book and it just gives me anxiety to see when pages are folded to show of origami skills on older books.
    Some of my friends love to receive books with a hand-written note in them. To me that's blasphemy! I would rather have a Post-It inside the book with the message.
    Don't even ask me to save "one" book from the fire. I cannot choose ever. :D
    I love collecting hardbound large prints of books, and have been eyeing the Harry Potter box set for quite a while (the hardbound set is just too expensive, and plus I am running out of storage space).
    Of course the book is always better than the movie. But then having those special effects is also a memorable experience!
    I've blabbered on a lot already. :oops:

Dresa91, superplus, Mr. BG and 2 others like this.
  2. Batman360
    Accessory Tester, OnePlus TV Product Ninja 2021 May 13, 2020

Batman360 , May 13, 2020 :
    You asked "Have you read more during the quarantine?"
    You didn't specify what😂😂😂 So yeah reading a lots of RC and articles 😁😄

Dresa91 and G_plusone like this.
  3. Batman360
    Accessory Tester, OnePlus TV Product Ninja 2021 May 13, 2020

Batman360 , May 13, 2020 :
    Thankss for the wishes! 😁

Do give it a read, you're going to love it!

Everyone deserves a second chance😉

4. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 13, 2020

NeVeR_SeTTLe , May 13, 2020 :
    Well, well @B.I.T.S. I never thought that this thread would be created by you. @Cheetosdust is the writing guru here, and I am the second one :p

During my quarantine (ha! yeah right, me and quarantine?), I actually travel a lot more than I used to. I know that it may not be safe, but still, I got an itch bug that I cannot let go. I need to travel, photograph and just live!!! So if you want to know if I have picken up a book, I will tell you NO! Instead of picking up a book, I pick up my Nikon D750 camera, my Haida filters and go out and explore! If you want to see the pictures I take, visit @rarog DSLR Photography thread and you will see what kind of places I explore and the photos that i take. I have to mention also other professional photographers in that thread like @TibiTibi @woSch @p51d007 @Aadeshc @Mr. BG and others. :)

Returning back to the topic, there is this one book that I had read during my high school years that had hard coded into my memory and that book is Fahrenheit 451 by Rad Bradbury (the temperature that books burn). Here is the link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13079982-fahrenheit-451

I won't go into the details of the book but if I had to sum it up it would be: A world without books and what outcome does it bring. So there is this guy, Guy, who is a fireman (in the story, a fireman's job is to burn books instead of extinguishing fires). Guy, gets this crazy idea and asks himself a question, why do firemen burn books? He thinks about his job, his role and then sees the whole picture - firemen burn books so that people would not gain any knowledge and that the government, the people in power, would have total control over society. The moral of the story is: Should we let the government or any people in power control us? If I can go further, let's take a look at this situation that we are in now with the coronavirus. Is it a hoax? Are we getting brainwashed? Maybe it's not a hoax, maybe there is some truth to it, but how much truth? 40%? 56%? 99.9%? It just makes me wonder. ;)

Dresa91, superplus, Aadeshc and 5 others like this.
  5. G_plusone
    Nougat May 13, 2020

6. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 May 13, 2020

Mr. BG , May 13, 2020 :
    Nice one ;)

• My first edition of "The Witches of Karres" Because I love it and it was my introduction into the sixties space opera novels, the age of psychedelic surrealistic Cyberpunk that would eventually bring us movies like Blade Runner, based on "Do Androids dream of electric sheep"
    • Right now I'm reading three books, I always do. a novel, something work related and a philosophy book. Depending on my mood I read a chapter (stoicism ATM)
    • Yes.
    • There are about thirty i have already at home, I always buy them from the small bookstore nearby, or I swap books with friends.
    • No. The book lets your imagination dwell, so that will always be better than watching someone trying to turn his vision into a movie. So I seperate them in my mind. For example, I really like the LOTR movie, Peter Jackson did a great job, I've read the books thirty years ago, and I primarily remember them for begin looooong...

Thanks for the tag, lovely thread, and you are appreciated as well bud ;)

Dresa91, superplus and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  7. CayucosMan
    Eclair May 14, 2020

CayucosMan , via OnePlus 7 Pro , May 14, 2020 :
    Although I prefer the feel of paper and even the smell of a physical book I'm okay with an ebook when a paper book isn't available. Both our county and city library systems have digital book offerings available.

I'm reading about the same amount of books now during this pandemic time as before.

Dresa91, superplus and meatandy like this.
  8. Sandrine5T
    Gingerbread May 14, 2020

Last edited: May 14, 2020

Dresa91 likes this.
  9. Aadeshc
    Honeycomb May 14, 2020

Aadeshc , via OnePlus 6 , May 14, 2020 :
    thank you for the tag means alot...

as for the books & reading habits the only books i read are related to curriculum and those even night before the exam...[e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e]

10. lukdavis
    Cupcake May 14, 2020

lukdavis , May 14, 2020 :
    quarantine made me a book maniac, but no regrets.
    currently reading dale cooper's records from twin peaks

W1589376116413, Dresa91 and superplus like this.
  11. Neeraj_Porwal
    Honeycomb May 14, 2020

Dresa91 likes this.
  12. IamIRONSman
    OnePlus Accessory Tester May 14, 2020

IamIRONSman , May 14, 2020 :
    In my opinion, nothing beats a physical book. The feel of turning physical pages, the smell of a new book, and how easy it is to get lost in a good book.

I'm still working during this quarantine so reading anything other than emails and service requests from users has been difficult.

Audiobooks have been a bit of a savior, currently listening to Star Wars: Darth Plagueis which is probably not canon anymore but I'm enjoying it.

"Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise?"

• You can save one book from a fire, which one would it be? Why? Ready Player One by Ernest Cline because it's just such a good read for nostalgic pop culture references. It also reminds me of the 3 weeks my partner and I spent traveling around Japan a few years back as the book was my goto among the others I bought with me.
    • What are you reading right now? I've restarted this book so many times because it's an enjoyable read "If at birth you don't succeed" by Zach Anner, a wonderful and hilarious biography.
    • Have you read more during the quarantine? Not at all, but who knows how long it will last? I still have time.
    • Do you have a "to buy" list of books for when stores are open? (Please, support your local stores!) Local book stores are scarce where I am. I've fallen into the easy habit of throwing them on an amazon wishlist, I would really like to read the Anthony Daniels autobiography "I am C-3PO" and The Ape that Understood the Universe: How the Mind and Culture Evolve.
    • Are you part of the group that always says: "The book was better than the movie?" In the case of Ready Player One, I prefer the book but the adaption to the movie was not terrible. In most cases, the movie if it followed the book word for word would be 10 hours long and most of the intended audience the studio is aiming for would not understand all if any of the '80s or anime references made.

I don't think any film adapted from a book can truly please everyone, someone will always have that opinion.

Dresa91 and superplus like this.
  13. udaypulla
    Donut May 14, 2020

Dresa91 likes this.
  14. Siddharth240400
    Cupcake May 14, 2020

Dresa91 likes this.
  15. superplus
    Head Moderator Head Moderator May 14, 2020

superplus , May 14, 2020 :
    • What are you reading right now?
    I'm always reading too many books at once, but the "main" one at the moment is "Life 3.0"
    • Have you read more during the quarantine?
    Sadly no, I seem to have even less time to read now :(
    • Do you have a "to buy" list of books for when stores are open? (Please, support your local stores!)
    It's infinite and grows much faster than I can cross them off :eek:
    • Are you part of the group that always says: "The book was better than the movie?"
    Always! :D Nothing beats your own imagination ^^

Mr. BG and Dresa91 like this.

Mr. BG, Dresa91 and Horsault like this.
  17. Horsault
    Moderator Moderator May 15, 2020

Mr. BG and Dresa91 like this.

Mr. BG and Horsault like this.
  19. W1589376116413 , via OnePlus 8 Pro Glacial Green , May 15, 2020 :
    The book I'd save is Crazy Horse - Strange Man of the Oglalas by Mari Sandoz. It's a pretty old book and when she wrote it she was able to speak to people who knew Crazy Horse, it paints a vivid picture of his life from the Native American point of view rather the White Man narrative we usually get.

I'm currently reading Capital and Ideology by Thomas Piketty. It's a weighty tome which I bought at the start of lockdown to get me through. The size would probably put people off but it's well worth the time devoted to it.

I'm reading a lot more magazines on the Pressreader app through my library membership. Mainly historical and computers.