Other Boosting the capabilities of the Alert slider!

1. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Mar 5, 2020

YRJ , Mar 5, 2020 :
    Alert Slider.png

The alert slider is one of the most celebrated hardware features on OnePlus phones. I use it extensively. Getting out of lectures or getting into meetings, a slide is all it takes.
    As much as I like this feature, it's disappointing that a h/w button has to live it's whole life only toggling sound profiles.

Here's what all a hardware slider can do, except toggling sound profiles of course.

• Switching profiles
    The OnePlus 7T, when in my hand draws a lot of attention everytime I pull it out of the pocket, friends and relatives love to check it out. I immediately hand it over to people excited to check out the phone.
    More often than not, I find myself working on my phone and I don't necessarily want them to be bombarded with notifications from various apps, or incoming messages, so I have to switch profiles, which if you ask me very honestly, is a tedious process. If only I could use the slider to toggle between guest user and primary user, it would greatly support the idea of a burdenless and smooth software experience.
    • Battery Profiles
    It's rare that my phone dips below 15% but I do get anxious when it dips below 49% as a result I immediately switch to power saving.
    Power saving can be divided into 3 parts,

1. Power Saving Off : With this the phone works with maximum efficiency and gives the best performance
    2. Power Saver : In this mode the phone limits app functionality and background activity.
    3. Power Diet : For those rare but "dangerously low levels", power diet will allow only phones and messages to work. Think of it as a basic phone. Keeping the phone alive and functional, until you grab one of those red cables ;)

Ofcourse, the possibilities are endless, hence why I would suggest the addition of alert slider in the customization section of the settings where one can unlock the complete potential of this great hardware button!

Never Settle!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020

2. Gary C.
    OxygenOS Operations Staff Member Mar 19, 2020

Stickied Post
    Gary C. , Mar 19, 2020 :
    [Not Adopted]

Hi YRJ, thank you for taking the time to share your idea with us, again.

It's a nice idea to use the Alert Slider to switch among states that are not sound profiles. This idea can be useful if, for example, the users need to switch between something frequently.

However, using a hardware slider also disables the ability that allows users to switch the states via the software User Interface (UI), or allowing our system to do the switch automatically on specific conditions (e.g. to switch battery saver by schedule).

The slider may indicate the wrong state once it's changed by software, for example, and that's why not all types of states can be handled by a hardware slider.

Even though it's not on our roadmap right now, we would love to explore more possibilities around the Alert Slider. Please keep the ideas coming!

Learn more about how your Idea flows within OnePlus

3. Starcommander
    Lollipop Mar 5, 2020

Starcommander , Mar 5, 2020 :
    PM challenge revisited :p

4. YRJ

YRJ , Mar 5, 2020 :
    I'm not giving up on this, never! :p

5. Jonas_k.
    Eclair Mar 5, 2020

Jonas_k. , Mar 5, 2020 :
    I thought about this today. I love the slider but i mostly just use it when going out or comming home. I would love to see that you could use the slider as a "Home", "Outside" etc. profile switch. So if i switch the slider it deactivates Wi-Fi, sound off and other connections. Like turn on BT for headphones. And when you come home just slide it again and it connects to your home WiFi, turns off BT and so on...

6. YRJ

YRJ , Mar 5, 2020 :
    Indeed. The slider could also complement, the new work life balance! :)

7. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Mar 5, 2020

G_plusone , Mar 5, 2020 :
    All The Best ;)
    I haven't been using alert Slider as much as when the phone released

8. Karun Deep
    Gingerbread Mar 5, 2020

Karun Deep , via OnePlus 6T , Mar 5, 2020 :
    Its one of the great feature in OnePlus devices. I really love it.
    Very nice Thread @YRJ Thanks for it.
    Hoping for more threads like these which showcases OnePlus devices.

9. Batman360
    Lollipop Mar 5, 2020

10. Helder_DAlmeida , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Mar 5, 2020 :

YRJ

I'm not giving up on this, never!​

That's the spirit of the "Never Settle" @YRJ!
    I think that for all oneplus users the Alert slider is very important! Personally I use it constantly and I can't imagine not being able to use it daily! What more functions could it have? For me it would be the possibility to adjust the brightness of the screen, which is something I use a lot and I'm a little upset to have to unlock the phone, pull it down and then adjust the brightness, maybe it was possible to have 3 levels of personalized brightness in the Alert slider ... Well I don't know if it's possible but the idea remains and this would be something I would definitely use! Thank you for the opportunity to be able to express here in the community!
    "Never Settle 🇵🇹

G1585470247695 and YRJ like this.
  11. YRJ

YRJ , Mar 5, 2020 :
    Thanks!
    You should. It's a nifty switch :D
    Thanks, Karin Deep. I'm glad you like it.
    Well said, buddy ;)
    That's a great idea!
    It is very much possible. As stated earlier, the customisations are endless, once opened for customisations it is upto @David Y. , @Gary C. the s/w team to implement the most requested customisations.
    I sincerely, hope that this happens soon.

12. Helder_DAlmeida , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Mar 5, 2020 :
    So i will pray for it!

Starcommander, G_plusone and YRJ like this.
  13. Deactivated User
    Mar 5, 2020

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2020

14. YRJ

YRJ , Mar 5, 2020 :
    :)
    Thank you, Impersonal. I'm really glad that you liked the IDEA :D
    That's would be a great addition indeed, but since they are asking only for S/W features I mentioned changes only on the software front. :sweatsmile:

15. echojhawke
    Donut Mar 6, 2020

echojhawke , Mar 6, 2020 :
    This is an amazing idea!

At the minimum it would be great to be able to flip the direction the silent toggle goes. Think of silence like a light switch. Down for sound off and up for sound on.

YRJ likes this.
  16. Kaz95
    Cupcake Mar 6, 2020

Kaz95 , Mar 6, 2020 :
    Yo, I was here mainly to give my ideas for the Alert Slider, when I saw your Idea I was like, Wow I'm not the only one😅. Thanks for this great idea
    Good Luck

YRJ likes this.
  17. RRigamondi
    Donut Mar 6, 2020

RRigamondi , Mar 6, 2020 :
    Would love this as I only use the phone in silent mode and the slider has been untouched for as long as I've owned a OnePlus.
    It would be great if the key were mapped so that third party apps could use it to customize it and even send broadcast intents

YRJ likes this.
  18. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Mar 7, 2020

YRJ , Mar 7, 2020 :
    Thank you :)
    I'm glad you like it!
    Thank you :) hope that they adopt it.
    Fingers crossed! 🤞

19. Radoslaw Krosnicki
    Cupcake Mar 10, 2020

Radoslaw Krosnicki , Mar 10, 2020 :
    I would add a feature, we had few versions ago - exceptions/priorities. For example, there was silent profile, where favourite contacts were still loud. If I could add all incoming calls to one of the SIM cards, while other would still be silent, it would be overkill for me. You know, I'd use my private SIM on one slot, and work SIM on another, and set private one silent, while at work...

Suresh_Chandran likes this.
  20. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Mar 11, 2020

YRJ , Mar 11, 2020 :
    Ooh! Yes exceptions, that's a good one.

21. Radoslaw Krosnicki
    Cupcake Mar 11, 2020