Borderless Beauty & Ethereal Motion——Story behind OnePlus Wallpaper

1. Gary C.
    OxygenOS Operations Staff Member Nov 15, 2019

Gary C. , Nov 15, 2019 :
    OnePlus believes that the best wallpaper should not only please the eye, but also convey the unique design philosophy and brand DNA of OnePlus. It creates the user's first impression of the brand. Wallpaper design has always been a focal point for competition in the smartphone market.

“Delicate, diverse, abstract and artistic” are the principles we hold on to. As OnePlus smartphone system designers, we stick to the belief that a wallpaper's design must reflect OnePlus smartphone's craftsmanship, every design is with the “Never Settle” spirit. The designs are created to resemble different cultural elements around the world.

01.png
    Past Wallpapers

We welcome challenges

To push our limits, designing a unique wallpaper for every generation of OnePlus mobile phone is a challenge we have taken on. Hampus Olsson, an artist from Sweden, has worked with OnePlus and created a series of wallpapers. For example, the wallpapers for the OnePlus 3 were a daring combination of traditional art and digital technology, created by using ink and acrylic resin for artistic creation and drawing software for secondary stitching. And while OnePlus 5 adopted more dynamic and vibrant colors to highlight the screen, OnePlus 6, on the other hand, took a minimalist approach to make the wallpaper clean and fluid when the full screen debuted.
    02.png
    OnePlus 3: Combination of Traditional Art and Digital Technology
    03.png
    OnePlus 5: Bold and Rich Colors OnePlus6: Clean, Fluid and Artistic Colors

OnePlus 7 Wallpaper

The OnePlus 7 Pro, this year, brought a fast and smooth experience with its embedded QHD + 3D curved flexible 2K resolution and 90 Hz refresh rate full screen. Thanks to the reliable hardware, we discovered more possibilities in creating interesting and fascinating wallpapers. This time, the wallpaper is no longer just a static background, it's live. We've taken a bold step, as every movement of wallpaper can be different and even interactive. So this time, besides the Swedish artist Hampus, OnePlus also has joined hands with the German workshop “onformative” that is committed to digital interactive arts, hoping to create more enjoyable visuals by absorbing their experiences and wisdom.
    04-en.png
    OnePlus 7 Pro

Sense of Speed

Fast” has always been the crux of OnePlus’ reputation. OnePlus 7 Pro is our first full-screen product without a water-drop and notch display. To craft this flagship, "Sense of speed" and "Borderless" have been the focus of our design philosophy.

We wanted to express the sense of speed in the OnePlus 7 wallpaper, in both controlled and abstract ways. We finally settled on “Cloud”, to describe the calm before the storm, as well as the peace after it.

Borderless

Inspired by the rhythm of the cloud movement, we have been experimenting to find the best match of speed and angle, one that could vividly express the feeling of "Borderless" .
    [​IMG]
    07.png
    Early Drafts
    08.png
    Evolution Process

Evolution Process

In the exploration stage, our colleagues from various departments openly expressed doubts about the first. However, they underestimated our designers' will to find the best composition and colour matching pattern, and to make sure no detail is left out. We revised details of the clouds up until the final version, even under immense pressure.

OnePlus 7T: Inheritance and Interaction

OnePlus 7T inherited the “cloud” concept when it came to the design of its wallpaper. This time, however, we made our clouds even more abstract, so much so that they resemble Chinese ink and dramatic wash paintings according to the users. As compared to the surging winds and spiralling clouds on OnePlus 7, 7T added variations for the clouds in different settings, thus unlocking more interactive experiences.

Seamless Unlocking Experience

Under different settings, the dynamic variations of wallpaper link designs at many levels.
    [​IMG]
    To encourage more interactions between OnePlus 7T wallpaper and users, we have used OpenGL, an API for rendering graphics. In the beginning, we draw a cloud "texture" and then "design" the shape, color, and motion by modifying OpenGL's Shaders parameters. Finally, the human-computer interaction is created on the phone through the driver.
    11-en.png
    Process of Interaction Realization
    12.png
    Exploration of Cloud Movements

The procedures and logic of the OpenGL rendering pipeline are very complicated. Changes in one parameter often cause other changes. Many technical difficulties occurred in this process like image distortion, playback frame skipping, dizziness, high power consumption, and so on. It needed to be debugged back and forth to capture the best balance of quality, file size, and power consumption.

OnePlus 7 series wallpaper is the gem of joint efforts of our design, development and testing teams. Particularly, the OnePlus 7T series wallpaper is a surprising gift to every OnePlus user prepared by our international work teams across departments. Though we know it is not perfect, we will strive forward regularly to create more. Hope you like it!

Never Settle.

2. YRJ
    Lollipop Nov 15, 2019

YRJ , Nov 15, 2019 :
    Tbh, I did like the live walls on my 7T. The make the unlocking experience seem smooth and fast.
    Also the live wallpaper motion on the lock screen is slow which I like to see when the phone is lying idly on the table.

Good Work with the wallpapers! :)

3. D.K.Shukla
    Eclair Nov 15, 2019

1+HD and G_plusone like this.
  4. Danbrus2
    Gingerbread Nov 15, 2019

6. JCH2K3
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 15, 2019

JCH2K3 , Nov 15, 2019 :
    Love these wallpapers always love seeing them, thanks OnePlus love the artistic changes :)

G_plusone likes this.
  7. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Nov 15, 2019

FlixbusLennart , Nov 15, 2019 :
    Hampus Olsson is an artist with outstanding digital work, I bought the Abstruct app and now, picking between his wallpapers is even harder!
    Not to say that the live wallpapers aren't beautiful as well - onformative did a very good job. I'm currently using the stock live wallpapers on my 7 Pro and I just can't decide which one to pick.

For me, this was one of the better deep dives, as it had the technical level, background stories and "who made it" aspects and goes far beyond simple marketing copywriting. Thanks for the post, @Gary C.

8. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 15, 2019

youbi , Nov 15, 2019 :
    The best thing I can say about OnePlus wallpapers is that they must be good, because they never got me looking for another ones besides the ones you made for the phones. :D :p

Just keep the good work you have done so far. :)

As a suggestion for improving, I think that adding the new wallpapers coming to the new phones as an option to the old ones would be a good way to give those users phone a easy way to give it a fresh look.

9. sechinov
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 15, 2019

G_plusone likes this.
  10. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Nov 15, 2019

Venky61 , Nov 15, 2019 :
    The process seems fascinating...Indeed the wallpapers are very soothing and doesn't make you wanna replace them. So good job on that :)

cdnfarmer likes this.
  11. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Nov 15, 2019

Areebanwar and Starcommander like this.
  12. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Nov 15, 2019

Impersonal , Nov 15, 2019 :
    Usually there are links posted as soon, even before some new devices are launch, by official channels I mean, if not, you can always find them on different sites, anyways don't limit yourself, try on some wallpapers even from different manufacturers, I do, you see through this lovely article how much work it's put in research, development etc, all manufacturers do this, besides OP, I particularly enjoy what Oppo , LG, and Motorola do in this department...

Cheers

G_plusone likes this.
  13. youbi

youbi , Nov 15, 2019 :
    I know you can always download it ( even Hampus Olsson website usually has them later on), but if they could come in an update to older devices I think it would be a nice touch and would make the not so techie happy to have them showing up on their device. :p And even more for the live ones that aren't so easily migrated.

Its not really about limiting my self, its more about being happy with what I have. :p When you are happy at home, you don't need to start looking over your shoulder to see how the next door neighbor looks. :D :p ;)

But yeah, I know other brands also do a great job with their wallpapers, and there is also some wallpaper apps that have really cool options. But the truth is that I always end up sticking to the default ones. :sweatsmile:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019

jlasensiofi, cdnfarmer and Impersonal like this.
  14. anunayC
    Gingerbread Nov 15, 2019

G_plusone likes this.
  15. dream.er
    Gingerbread Nov 15, 2019

dream.er , Nov 15, 2019 :
    All the wallpapers are created with only one thing in mind 'Smoothness', I would like to see some sharp images also.

G_plusone likes this.
  16. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Nov 15, 2019

Impersonal , Nov 15, 2019 :
    :D obviously I concur (especially since my wife is also a community user :p, ), anyways your idea shouldn't really be hard to implement, and yes it would make a great marketing, pragmatic exercise, since users of older devices would feel cared for, and who knows, maybe even convince some to upgrade ...

Ps: yeah Live-Wallpers are notorious hard to transfer, and even in best case scenario, aren't perfectly optimized, and that could affect many things, expecialy battery drain ...

cdnfarmer and youbi like this.
  17. youbi

youbi , Nov 15, 2019 :
    Yep, the truth is that it would surely be simple thing that could make users happier about their current devices.

OnePlus always said that they like to bring the software new features to old devices when its possible, so why not include the wallpapers in that package. :)

Any comments on this @Gary C. ? :p

19. meatandy
    Oreo Nov 15, 2019

meatandy , Nov 15, 2019 :
    Cool story , looking forward to more versions and live wallpapers in future generations.

jlasensiofi likes this.
  20. Areebanwar
    Honeycomb Nov 15, 2019

Areebanwar , Nov 15, 2019 :
    Looking forward to more!

This.