Bottom Quick Settings Panel #PMChallenge

1. feyisayo Cupcake Feb 20, 2019

feyisayo, Feb 20, 2019 :
    Problem Statement

Having used Android devices for a while now, it has been a norm to have the quick settings panel accessed from swiping from the top of the screen. It's 2019 and phones are getting taller and larger, without custom swipe gestures on the home screen alone, we access the quick settings panel all the way at the top of the screen. This creates a UX inconvenience and accessibility problem for a core feature Android users use every single day.

Who are the users?

All Android users who don't want the pain of having to access the quick settings panel all the way at the top of the screen.

What is the proposed function?

New Oneplus devices no longer have physical home buttons which initially made this tricky to implement. The proposed function is to have a trigger gesture at the bottom of the screen (or any configurable by the user), to bring up the quick settings panel from the bottom.

[​IMG]

The current implementation of the quick settings panel is positioned at the top area of the screen. Phones are held from the bottom and it creates a better experience when a major part of the OS used really often is positioned closer to where the phone is held. The gesture can be configured by the user to happen from anywhere, but the goal is to have the panel slide from the bottom system-wide throughout the OS just like the current behavior.

Everything else stays the same just like the current behavior of the quick settings panel, the only difference being its positioning at the bottom.

I created some initial concepts of how it might look like:

[​IMG]

What's the user value?
    • This creates a more accessible quick settings panel that's super fast to access by users
    • Easy to reach quick toggles assigned by the user as illustrated in the last image.
    • Less fatigue from having to stretch all the way to the top to toggle settings in the quick settings panel.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?

At the moment, the only existing comparable function is on iOS devices (pre-iPhone X) for accessing the control center. On Android devices, I haven't seen any manufacturer implement the quick settings panel this way. This is only "superior" in the sense that its a lot more accessible for users to access the panel from the bottom rather than the top.

What happens to the existing behavior and my notifications?

- Notifications will remain the same and accessible from the top of the screen

I don't think I can get used to this, I need a way out?

- A preference can be created in Settings to have a user choose if they want the panel at the top or bottom.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019

2. LegolasX Jelly Bean Feb 21, 2019

LegolasX, Feb 21, 2019 :
    no thank you, what do you want oxygen os to be another iOS clone?
    because there already plenty..all chinese os are clone, let oxygen os be free from it...

3. feyisayo Cupcake Feb 21, 2019

feyisayo, Feb 21, 2019 :
    iOS Clone for positioning the quick settings panel in a more accessible position? Lol.

4. LegolasX Jelly Bean Feb 21, 2019

LegolasX, Feb 21, 2019 :
    yeah lol.
    i will give you another idea why not make the top half of screen completely disabled and use only bottom half i mean phones will never stop being tall so an option is to not use the top part. only half screen in that everything will be totally accessible....
    hmm?
    lol.