Bought Oneplus U1. Horrible after sales service. What should one do to get a decent service?

1. aswinrulez
    Honeycomb Aug 4, 2020

aswinrulez , Aug 4, 2020 :
    I have been a die-hard fan of OnePlus even before the whole world got to know of the brand. I ordered my oneplus one phone to the US and then shipped it to India via courier and since then have only bought oneplus phones My family all uses oneplus phones. 5 of my best friends bought Oneplus phones after my recommendations and I have recommended the same to many. I am trying to show how crazy of a fan I am of oneplus even though I am not active here in this forum.

However, this has been my first time experience with a Oneplus TV and I have been taken for a ride. On 24th I got the new oneplus U1. I unboxed it and attached the stand and kept it on the floor as I didn't have a unit to accommodate it. Loved the TV then.
    • 20th July: I send out an email asking details about installation if and when I purchase the new TV. Request # 200721-000349. No reply yet. This was before the flash sale.
    • 24th July evening: TV is delivered. Called customer care to set up installation. The lady took all the details and confirmed it will be done soon
    • 26th July: Email sent out as I got no update on the same.Request # 200726-003472. No reply yet
    • 30th July: 7 calls to customer care. Reply: "We have escalated and will receive a call back in few hours".Never received any callback
    • 30th July: I put up the details on twitter. No reply. Raise installation request via Oneplus care app. Reference ID 7L8QECRL1Z
    • 31st July: 5 calls to customer care. Reply: "We have escalated and will receive a call back in few hours".Never received any callback. Complaint # 200724-004388. No call back or reply yet.
    • Same day afternoon I got a call from vendor technician is assigned and promise he would come. No one Came
    • 1st August: Technician calls me up in morning and says he will come. No calls. He never came. Night 6, I call up vendor and he says he got an email from Oneplus asking to hold installation!! He said apparently amazon takes care of it and said he will clear things up and will come on Monday(3rd August) and also asked me to proceed with booking via Amazon as well. I schedule installation via amazon too
    • 3rd August: No calls. No one comes. I escalate through twitter. Usual reply
    • 4th August: Amazon comes and installs the TV. They use a bracket free of cost which I guess is not the official one. The TV is slanting backwards. Like this - '|\' with '|' being the wall and '\' being the TV. I see similar issues in the amazon review which apparently gets sorted with the official branded one. Same issue raised in gadgets360 review of the TV here. Search for 'tilt'
      https://gadgets.ndtv.com/tv/reviews/oneplus-tv-u-series-55u1-review-price-in-india-2255939
    upload_2020-8-4_15-39-4.png
    • I have raised a complaint with amazon and hopefully, Amazon does a better job at handling this issue. I really don't understand why Oneplus doesn't give a tested official wall mount kit if their TV doesn't go well with standard mounts?
    • Over these few days, I contacted the customer care team countless times via browser chat and WhatsApp. Screenshots for the same would make this post long but the gist of it is that all of them said it has ben ESCALATED but there was no callback or resolution from the team!
    Overall the TV is good but the service has been anything but horrible. People over at hifivision forum have been asking me for the review. I was waiting to see how things go.

@OnePlus team: I just pray that I don't have any issue with the TV and have to end up contacting your team for warranty. All I want now is a resolution to the slanting TV.

Update:
    On 7th August, the same technician came with the official oneplus authorized brackets. I saw the box and it clearly mentioned it's for the 55U1. He mounted the TV using this and guess what. It DIDNTfix anything. The TV was still tilting backwards. Even the technician was frustrated. He also mentioned that screws didn't come with the bracket and so we only had 3 screws from the previous setup when we should be using 4.

Anyways the technician was patient and kind enough and understood my frustration as well. He asked me permission to try something out and we both took the TV off again and he used the old(not oneplus) bracket and adjusted the bush that came with it a bit and we mounted it back again and voila it worked.

So info for anyone facing the issue. Oneplus authorized wall mount brackets DO NOT fix the tilt issue. I don't know the brand which I am using now as it came in a plain cardboard box and the technician is also not sure but if it is one that has this cylindrical brushes that comes in between TV's back and the mounting rod then ask the technician to adjust a bit to even out the tilt.

Oneplus has still not called up for any of the escalations or issue I raised here. However, amazon team has been excellent. Within the time frame, the customer care promised, the local vendor to whom the installation was assigned called up and asked for the issue and followed up again after the installation was done. Even the technician was patient and kind enough to understand my concern and helped out a lot without charging anything at all.

Entire twitter activity:
    https://twitter.com/aswinrulez/status/1289524897077538817

Emails:
    upload_2020-8-4_15-40-9.png

App screenshots:
    upload_2020-8-4_15-43-15.png
    upload_2020-8-4_15-44-10.png

Titled TV:
    upload_2020-8-4_15-50-17.png
    See the gap from TV to the right border at the top and bottom. The camera is adjacent to the wall. It might not seem like a lot but when you watch something, it bothers me a lot. You could see the difference.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020

I1598735225142 and Venky61 like this.
  2. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Aug 5, 2020

Venky61 , Aug 5, 2020 :
    Hi,
    I read about this Wall mount confusion posted by other users too. Hopefully, OnePlus and Amazon sort this out soon..
    Did you not get an email/call from Amazon after product delivery, for the Installation. Generally, that's the procedure as you are selecting the Free Installation Service by Amazon along with the product.

3. aswinrulez
    Honeycomb Aug 5, 2020

aswinrulez , Aug 5, 2020 :
    I understand things are hard with the COVID situation and that call centre might be running at half capacity or maybe even less but doesn't mean the service should be this bad.
    I literally had to call every time for any update and all the so-called escalations didn't make any change to how the situation was handled.

The fact that oneplus send out an email to installation vendor to hold installation but couldn't inform the customer who is impacted by that decision itself shows lack of professionalism.

Now imagine after all that headache and mentioning over call many times to bring official brackets, the TV is still tilted backwards!! Who wouldn't be pissed? I escalated this with Amazon and told them I don't mind paying for the wall mount if it means I could enjoy the expensive TV properly. They asked me to give 2 days of time to sort it out. Meanwhile, I am yet to get any of the callbacks promised and the service request is still active in the oneplus app.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020

4. aswinrulez
    Honeycomb Aug 9, 2020

Best Answer
    aswinrulez , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Update:
    On 7th August, the same technician came with the official oneplus authorized brackets. I saw the box and it clearly mentioned it's for the 55U1. He mounted the TV using this and guess what. It DIDNTfix anything. The TV was still tilting backwards. Even the technician was frustrated. He also mentioned that screws didn't come with the bracket and so we only had 3 screws from the previous setup when we should be using 4.

Anyways the technician was patient and kind enough and understood my frustration as well. He asked me permission to try something out and we both took the TV off again and he used the old(not oneplus) bracket and adjusted the bush that came with it a bit and we mounted it back again and voila it worked.

So info for anyone facing the issue. Oneplus authorized wall mount brackets DO NOT fix the tilt issue. I don't know the brand which I am using now as it came in a plain cardboard box and the technician is also not sure but if it is one that has this cylindrical brushes that comes in between TV's back and the mounting rod then ask the technician to adjust a bit to even out the tilt.

Oneplus has still not called up for any of the escalations or issue I raised here. However, amazon team has been excellent. Within the time frame, the customer care promised, the local vendor to whom the installation was assigned called up and asked for the issue and followed up again after the installation was done. Even the technician was patient and kind enough to understand my concern and helped out a lot without charging anything at all.