[BUG] Application is running until battery dies.

1. Dileep.Hegde
    Donut Feb 29, 2020

Dileep.Hegde , Feb 29, 2020 :
    My story : I was watching tiktok and unfortunately i slept. when i woke up at morning. Battery is fully drained to 0%. when i kept for charging. I saw the battery usage as in screenshots. screen on time was 7hrs 45 mins and fully charged 8 hrs ago.

Steps to recreate :
    1) open tiktok, youtube , or any media driven apps / other
    2) Sleep/ Don't touch phone screen..

Bug : Application will be running until battery dies.

Suggestion :
    If there is no input from user for long time. Ask the user after 2-3 hrs to confirm whether they are still using mobile or not. if no response, just close the app which is running and with mobile sleep settings it will automatically off the screen as configured.

1582946644981.jpg

1582946645004.jpg
    screenshot are attached

2. VaibhavBhargava
    Lollipop Feb 29, 2020

VaibhavBhargava , Feb 29, 2020 :
    This is not a bug as these apps (YouTube, Tiktok etc) have been designed in a way that they override the default settings of screen going to sleep. So the phone stays awake as long as the app is in foreground.

otto2 and DMaarten like this.
  3. Dileep.Hegde
    Donut Feb 29, 2020

I agree. But system should be capable of detecting unusual activities and take proper action on them. I wrote a suggestion to solve the same.

So even if user is not using mobile as explained in my story allowing to override for a long time until battery dies doesn't make any sense.

It will make big problem when your phone battery dies and you don't have any options to charge at that moment.

4. VaibhavBhargava
    Lollipop Feb 29, 2020

VaibhavBhargava , Feb 29, 2020 :
    Firstly, what you try to describe your problem is a requirement and not a bug. OnePlus didn't describe OOS to be capable of detecting inactivities, so you can't claim what doesn't works if it doesn't even exists in the system.

Secondly, if you feel that you are likely to dose off watching something on YouTube, you could just use the scheduled turn on and turn off feature. The phone will also turn on if there is an alarm which is set to go off between the downtime.

otto2 likes this.
  5. Dileep.Hegde
    Donut Feb 29, 2020

This can be done by OnePlus/Google as an enhancement to the existing one. What you suggested ( scheduled turn on/off ) is not useful in this scenario. we don't get calls/messages or other things that maybe be important to the user. So it should be new requirement.

6. Swejuggalo
    KitKat Feb 29, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Feb 29, 2020 :
    Interesting issues that can come from this.... Watching Stephen Kings "The Stand" all parts in a row and needing to wake up the device several times to be able to finish... Even in worst case killing the app forcing you to find the part when it shut down.
    A possible solution could maybe be to let battery saving mode override it... But best solution would of course to be to not fall asleep when for example starting an episode on Netflix.
    Depending on the app being used. If you see some series episodes and finish an episode, if the app has a auto resume function then turn that off. If the app supports it it could allow screen turning off when a movie or series episode finish.
    This is atleast working on a computer browser with Netflix.

YouTube Vanced allows turning off screen after finishing a clip/movie

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020