Display [BUG] OP7 ghost/random touch issue in sandstone case

1. TVTV
    Gingerbread Jul 29, 2019

TVTV , Jul 29, 2019 :
    Hello All,

I have recently noticed an issue with my OP7 8/256 GB, namely that under the right conditions the screen misbehaves in the sense that it reads multiple touches even when it is only being touched with one finger. For this to happen the phone needs to be in the sandstone case so that only the bottom of the metal edge is exposed, the radios have to be on and the phone needs to be held in such a way that the person operating it is touching the exposed bottom metal edge (just like in this example photo):

Capture.PNG

When the above conditions are met, touching the screen results in multiple random touches. The issue goes away temporarily when touching any other part of the metal frame (at the same time) or when turning off the radios.

The video linked below shows the issue as it happens on my phone, using the MultiTouch Tester app. First i touch the screen without touching the bottom part of the phone, then i hold the phone like in the picture above and touch the screen again:

LATER EDIT: added new, more descriptive video:

My best guess is that the bottom part of the phone's frame is an antenna and touching it while touching the screen makes the digitizer behave erratically. Weird thing is that it does not happen all the time, but when it happens putting the phone in airplane mode "fixes" it (or so i have noticed).
    Could also be something related to static electricity, because most of the time this issue starts manifesting itself if the phone has been in my jeans' pockets for a while. The case is plastic, of course, and plastic can hold a static charge.

Can any of you guys with the sandstone case try to replicate the issue? I am curious as to whether this is a widespread issue or just some sort of "grounding issue" with my terminal.

The way i have discovered this bug is that my slide keyboard was sometimes acting up when slide typing & holding the phone with one hand. If you're seeing the same behavior at times, try installing the MultiTouch Tester app and seeing whether you have the same problem as i do.

P.S. - I don't remember this issue happening with OOS 9.5.6 or earlier, so they might have increased the touch sensitivity in 9.5.7. This is just a speculation, of course.

Have a nice one.

Alex

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019

2. TVTV
    Gingerbread Jul 29, 2019

3. eduardeutsch
    Eclair Jul 29, 2019

TVTV likes this.
  4. TVTV
    Gingerbread Jul 29, 2019

TVTV , Jul 29, 2019 :
    Thank you for letting me know, Eduard! Thought I was going crazy...
    Could be a software issue too, related to touch sensitivity. Someone said that they were not having any issues at all with 9.5.3. Fingers crossed!

Later edit: oh, that was you saying that 9.5.3 was okay.

Alex

5. cyclonicjason
    Froyo Sep 4, 2019

TVTV likes this.
  6. nexuspur
    Eclair Sep 7, 2019

TVTV likes this.