Buying a new OnePlus 3

1. Kareem Hussaini
    Froyo Sep 13, 2016

Kareem Hussaini , Sep 13, 2016 :
    Hello everyone, I'm hopefully going to get my OnePlus 3 before next week, after waiting a long three months, wasting hours and hours, reading ad watching reviews. Yay!
    The thing I'm most afraid of at the moment is that individual devices might have problems, like screen smudges, weak battery, speakers, or any other hardware related problem.
    I'm buying a OnePlus device for the first time, and this is my second phone, so I'm quite inexperienced with these things.
    So, my questions are:
    What are the things that I should check for before opening the box?
    What should I look for before the 14 day time period is over?
    A list of common and likely hardware issues that I should look for would be best.
    I'd really appreciate any help you guys can give me! Thanks, in advance!

2. lemonhater
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 13, 2016

lemonhater , Sep 13, 2016 :
    Just look out for screen smudges. Battery life is quite good, I'm getting 6h SOT average.

Anyway all the issues you have read on the forum is nothing compared to the Note 7's exploding batteries :D

3. Albela
    Froyo Sep 13, 2016

Albela , Sep 13, 2016 :
    Get all the doubts out of your head and start using the device. Every device has it's problems but devices like OP3 have less :p . It's going to be fine just enjoy your experience. :)

4. Malina27
    Froyo Sep 13, 2016

Malina27 , Sep 13, 2016 :
    What rom are you using when get that much SOT...I barely get 3hrs with CB 3.5.1

5. ghostofcain
    Marshmallow Sep 13, 2016

ghostofcain , Sep 13, 2016 :
    I get over 5 hours on stock, but SOT will vary between users depending on usage.

6. malidan
    Nougat Sep 13, 2016

malidan , Sep 13, 2016 :
    Your second device congrats.
    The OP3 has issues in vital areas:
    Screen as you said, I've seen some horrific shades of pink/ yellow a very weird collaboration that could hide a multitude of sins.
    LTE and general reception

Video recording, refocusing, ois, sound

OS

Use your 15 days wisely and don't let fanboy comments sway you if it ain't right send it back, refund and buy again with a fresh15 days to evaluate.
    The last thing you want to do is hold on to it and end up getting tied up with CS.

Kareem Hussaini likes this.
  7. Kareem Hussaini
    Froyo Sep 13, 2016

Kareem Hussaini , Sep 13, 2016 :
    Yeah, I agree with you. I wouldn't want to hold on to a malfunctioning phone for the next 3 years.

Thanks for all of your answers!
    Which update should I keep it at? Wish I'd the least buggy, 3.2.2 or 3.2.4?

malidan likes this.
  8. malidan
    Nougat Sep 13, 2016

malidan , Sep 13, 2016 :
    From all accounts 3.2.2 seem to be the least buggy, but you may have to downgrade to get on that.

9. comiche1
    Cupcake Oct 19, 2016

comiche1 , Oct 19, 2016 :
    Hello Kareem. I just purchased my OnePlus 3 and today was the day that I finally received it.: I had to wait almost three weeks to get this phone. I believe that's just a testament to OnePlus' ability to make great products at a very competitive price point. This is not my first OnePlus though as I had already purchased the OnePlus 1 which is a great phone as well. Many of the comments in this thread are correct. The first thing I did was install all updates. Once all of the updates were installed I have not noticed any issues with my phone. As far as what to look for, just look for the obvious, make sure the packaging is intact, nothing has been tampered with, etc, etc. One thing you can do which is what I did was buy insurance. If you're that worried, purchasing insurance on your phone won't hurt.

10. Kareem Hussaini
    Froyo Oct 23, 2016

Kareem Hussaini , Oct 23, 2016 :
    Hey everybody,
    Thanks for all of your replies. I finally purchased my OnePlus 3 on the 10th, and got it delivered by the 13th of October, even though it was a public holiday in Hyderabad. Great service by Amazon and OnePlus.

I've been using the phone for the past 10 days, and I have to say, I'm impressed. Not many people use their phone as much as I do, and it's held up well. I'll write more in a review later. Though I will say this: the phone is not as perfect as I had thought, I faced a few problems and software bugs, but thankfully, no hardware issues.

Even with all its faults, I love my OnePlus. I've learned to settle. XD. More on that in my review, the first I'll ever write, but it won't be my last.

11. KejPik
    Gingerbread Oct 23, 2016

Kareem Hussaini likes this.