Buying Laptop From The US - Some Queries.

1. kidrow
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 8, 2015

kidrow , Feb 8, 2015 :
    Hi all, I'm looking to buy a used convertible tablet pc from ebay.com. I'm looking at a whole lot of options from ones which are ~$200 to ~$400 USD. These haven't been ever released in India afaik. (For eg. Lenovo/Fujitsu tablet PCs, Microsoft Surface Pro, Samsung XE700T etc.)

I have a couple of queries I hope folks can help me with since a few of 'em here have ordered their OPOs from abroad earlier-

A] Which of the following would you suggest would be the better (ie most accurate estimation of cost & reliability) route-

1. Seller who ships internationally on ebay.com itself. Charges seem to range from $50-60 USD for shipping & excludes customs. But the hassle of clearing customs remains.

2. HopShopGo, PPOBox, iShopInternational etc. Read a few posts on how the charges are usually higher than the estimates. So how much higher can I expect them to be?
    I'm calculating on the basis of PPOBox's calculator & using lxwxh as 30cmx25cmx5cm & weight as 4lbs. Is that in the ballpark for a laptop?

3. Ebay GEB. This has limited options & seems to be pricier by 6-7k INR than the PPOBox calculator. So again, how accurate is that PPOBox estimate?

B] Queries about customs-

1. Is the import of a used/refurbished laptop for personal use allowed by Indian Customs dept.? A google search seems to indicate that it isn't allowed but they are older sources & I'd also like to know whether it is actually enforced in practice.

2. Since this is a used product & also one that hasn't been launched in India, how will the authorities calculate customs? The launch dates of any of the options I'm considering are more than 2 years old & were ~$1000-1500 USD when launched.

3. Is Mumbai customs reasonable, generally speaking?

4. Will ordering a scuffed/scratched piece be better vis-a-vis customs charged than a newish one? Or this won't matter?

5. Which parcel forwarder is honest/provides proof about the amount of customs actually charged?

C] Certain ebay.com sellers require a confirmed Paypal billing address as per their terms & conditions? Certain others also add that they won't ship to post boxes. Is there any way around this?

Many thanks!

@ndr696969 Tagging you here as you seem to be quite experienced in these matters. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. ndr696969
    KitKat Feb 8, 2015

cabhay likes this.
  3. cabhay
    KitKat Feb 8, 2015

cabhay , Feb 8, 2015 :
    after this response i am sure he will not buy.
    what about any body coming from usa or from dubai. can he bring one laptop with him

4. kidrow
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 8, 2015

kidrow , Feb 8, 2015 :
    But roughly how much? & what will be the basis? I know it will be "assessed" value (15% isn't it?) but how will they arrive at it, given the situation I've outlined? Would appreciate if you have an idea about this.
    & if it is going to be a large variable, then would eBay GEB or ishopinternational be a good alternative since they will have a fixed rate?

There isn't. Which is why I'm thinking about going this route.

5. ndr696969
    KitKat Feb 9, 2015

ndr696969 , Feb 9, 2015 :
    yes geb or ishop international could be your best bet . rather than direct customs !

kidrow likes this.
  6. kidrow
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 9, 2015

kidrow , Feb 9, 2015 :
    Hey, thanks for replying. Have you had any previous experience with ishop? Just that I'm scared that I'll get scammed. With ebay GEB, I've at least had some earlier experience (all smooth) but that was a few years back. The caveat of course, is that my options are limited on geb.

7. Johnny007
    Froyo Feb 9, 2015

Johnny007 , Feb 9, 2015 :
    I think they charge Anti-Dumping duty if they found out it is a used item.

kidrow likes this.
  8. sandeeppathak007

9. kidrow

kidrow , Feb 9, 2015 :
    Well, this just keeps getting murkier, :(.

Yes, iinm, one laptop is allowed to be brought in duty-free. Unfortunately, there's no acquaintance who's coming back anytime soon.

10. ndr696969
    KitKat Feb 10, 2015

ndr696969 , Feb 10, 2015 :
    i have bought 2 mobiles from i shop ..went smooth !

kidrow likes this.
  11. kidrow
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 10, 2015

kidrow , Feb 10, 2015 :
    Thanks! The fact that they don't list a postal address on their site is a bit unnerving. But I guess they're above board since you've already dealt with them twice & come out happy.

With iBhejo & Ppobox, they at least have a postal address in Andheri, Mumbai, as per their respective websites at least. That just gives a bit more confidence.

But at the end of the day, it all seems to be one of those ymmv things. Have read good & bad reviews of them all. Guess one just needs to take a leap of faith!

12. ndr696969
    KitKat Feb 10, 2015

ndr696969 , Feb 10, 2015 :

ppobox n i shop have offices in same building on same floor in andherii . i guess both r same

13. kidrow
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 10, 2015

kidrow , Feb 10, 2015 :
    Hey, thanks for that info. Inspires a bit more confidence then, knowing they have a physical address in Mumbai.