Caller Identification Open Beta Version Launched in India

1. Gary C. OxygenOS Operations Staff Member Jan 7, 2019

Gary C., Jan 7, 2019 :
    software story.png

On December 28th, we launched a caller identification feature in the latest Open Beta for the OnePlus 6/6T in India. This feature will help users better identify unknown callers. We are very excited about this feature as we know that many users in India have been asking for this for a long time.

sss002.png

Many of our community members in India asked why our latest flagships did not have a caller identification feature, which is highly sought after in their country. Some report receiving spam phone calls almost every day. This even happened to one of our Chinese employees, who, during a business trip to India, received junk calls within a few days of buying a SIM card. After several months of research, we found that phone harassment has become a serious problem for mobile phone users in India. Actually, we have been aware of this pain point for a while now and we have worked hard to solve it. However, we have always remained cautious, because we aim to not only bring a good user experience, but also to protect your privacy.

User privacy as our top priority

The caller identification feature requires a huge amount of data. For example, users can tag unrecognized caller numbers and the tags will be reported to our service providers to help us better identify and classify these numbers. However, when we were developing this feature, we made user privacy our top priority. We require that providers do not collect any sensitive data and we discuss with them each piece of data to be collected, to ensure that each item is necessary and within reason.

sss001.png

To satisfy our user privacy requirements, we have gone even further. The EU has passed the most stringent user privacy protection regulation yet - the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - in May of this past year. Although this regulation does not apply to India, we are adhering to such high standards and have conducted internal GDPR compliance assessments for the Indian phone number identification feature. When you use this feature, we hope you will notice the efforts we have made in this regard. For example, this feature will only be enabled with your consent and it has a separate privacy agreement.

Because of user privacy protection requirements, we can only identify and classify the tags (types) of private(non-institutional) unfamiliar numbers such as “Spam”, “Suspected fraud” and “Ads/Promotions”, but without displaying the name of the number’s owner. This feature is still in the early development phase and it cannot identify all unfamiliar numbers at present. We believe that this feature will provide an increasingly improved experience, thanks to the power of the OnePlus community.

We’d love to hear about your experience

Currently, OnePlus 6/6T users in India can update to the latest Open Beta version on the forum and experience the caller identification feature. You can activate this feature by following the steps below: "Phone" > "..." > "Settings" > "Caller identification".

If you have any suggestions or questions after trying, please reply in this thread. Thank you for your valuable suggestions. Our team is always eager to hear from you.

2. Manu J. Global Product Operations Manager Staff Member Jan 7, 2019

Stickied Post
    Manu J., Jan 7, 2019 :
    Hey everyone,
    answers to some of your questions,

Q1: Why isn't this available for the OP3, OP3T, OP5, OP5T" and “When is this going to be available for my device"?
    The Caller identification feature will be available on OP5/5T Open Beta stream soon, OP3/3T will have this feature available as part of Android Pie build, Please look forward to it.

Q2: When is the stable version of this function going to be released?
    This requires user feedback on the stability of this feature. We hope can release this feature to the stable version soon.

Q3: How can I use this function?
    This feature is only available for users in India region. If you are an OP6/6T Open Beta version user, you only need to update to the latest OBT build to experience this feature. If you are not an Open Beta user, refer to the following post to update to the latest OBT version

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oxygenos-open-beta-2-for-the-oneplus-6t.973114/ for OnePlus 6T
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oxygenos-open-beta-10-for-the-oneplus-6.972993/ for OnePlus 6

3. YASHPLUSONE. Jelly Bean Jan 7, 2019

YASHPLUSONE., Jan 7, 2019 :
    awesome! high time we got rid of true caller, now push it to older devices too.
    it would indeed be great if you partnered with Truecaller, personally I hate the app but can't deny, their database is strong. If OnePlus enhanced the UI and UX partnering with Truecaller I would not mind!
    also, please don't say that this feature cannot be pushed through a software update to older devices viz., OnePlus 3/T and 5/T due to hardware limitations, as that is not the case, rest assured.
    good luck and keep up the great work! :)

[UPDATE 15/01/2019]
    The Caller ID feature has made its way on the 5/T
    After open beta 25 for the 5 and Open beta 23 for the 5T.
    Feels good to be on par with the latest flagships.
    So far, so good! :) Sweet :p

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019 at 11:47 AM

4. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jan 7, 2019

Cheetosdust, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Hello @Gary C.

Really curious to see how this feature is going to evolve and I truly hope OnePlus can get some valuable feedback from its community.

Great to read that the company is applying an extra step and effort about privacy.

Even if I'm not from India, thank you.

5. GopalB. Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

6. AnonymousWP Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 7, 2019

AnonymousWP, Jan 7, 2019 :
    @Gary C. Wouldn't it be easier to just use an existing database of let's say: spam numbers? :p Much less effort, less costly, more efficient, more safe (cause OnePlus doesn't have to store the data, but for example Google), less server-resources.

Also: would we see this at other OnePlus phones? And not for India-only?

7. B_Wrath Lollipop Jan 7, 2019

B_Wrath, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Thanks for story behind the caller ID feature @Gary C. :) The feature, as you said, is actually very helpful. But the tags aren't accurate sometimes. My Swiggy delivery call was tagged as "Fraud" :p
    Probably, there should be a feature, where we can suggest corrections for the tags and ID.
    And can you tell me whether the tags are approved before it is made visible?

8. Intruder71 KitKat Jan 7, 2019

Intruder71, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Good! Who are these third parties we are being forced to trust? Most of us have only just started to trust oneplus again after questionable decisions..
    So everyone is being forced to have dormant software on their phone collecting god knows what and sending it to god knows who.
    Or maybe we do.... Truecaller you know the company that got caught selling users data... Hmmm back to the trust word eh?

9. Tobikage Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

Tobikage, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Okay OnePlus. It's about time you decide if you want to become Xiaomi or Apple. :rolleyes:

10. Tobikage Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

Tobikage, Jan 7, 2019 :
    No....no we haven't
    Who is this "us" you speak of ? :rolleyes:

11. let92 Eclair Jan 7, 2019

let92, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Awesome feature! I hope to see this feature also for European users in the future :)

Faras ahamed zameel likes this.
  12. Hydra Bob Lollipop Jan 7, 2019

Hydra Bob, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Great another India only feature. It's starting to feel as though OnePlus is making Hydrogen for the Chinese market and Oxygen is being tailor made to suit the desires of the Indian market.

At any rate I'm sure this will be a better solution than the privacy shredding monstrosity that is Truecaller. Just remember now you're the ones responsible for this data, be sure to take the necessary measures to safeguard user privacy this time.

13. edy90s Honeycomb Jan 7, 2019

14. rubensoni Cupcake Jan 7, 2019

rubensoni, Jan 7, 2019 :
    When can we expect caller identification feature in your major update?
    And i have already updated my OnePlus 6T McLaren to 9.0.11, is it safe to update to beta version?

vijithvenganoor and OhBed like this.
  15. Intruder71 KitKat Jan 7, 2019

You didn't read it right Bob.. . They are using a third party, its not their own software.. The only people I can see wanting to get involved with this are truecaller imo.

h_kashyap, buntycubal, Xtermy and 5 others like this.
  16. Hydra Bob Lollipop Jan 7, 2019

Hydra Bob, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Oh I see. Even still now that this is an inbuilt feature they're still ultimately responsible for who they decide to partner with and what those third parties decide to do with their user's information.

17. meatandy Nougat Jan 7, 2019

meatandy, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Why do I feel that this is a privacy train wreck waiting to happen?

18. Intruder71 KitKat Jan 7, 2019

OnePlus has such a great record on trust right? This is a complete shambles mate..

19. G_Chaudhry_Muhammad_Taha Donut Jan 7, 2019

20. Intruder71 KitKat Jan 7, 2019

It's time oneplus made an Indian only build.. They can add all the shite they all want without forcing the rest of the world to put up with it...

Paschfire, fazerboy0_3, Prcko and 4 others like this.
  21. Tobikage Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

Tobikage, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Please gib FM radio and dual VoLTE !

Prcko, B_Wrath and Intruder71 like this.