Calling All OnePlus Mobile Gamers!

1. Jenny L.
    Administrator Staff Member Mar 10, 2020

Jenny L. , Mar 10, 2020 :
    Hi OnePlus Community!

We need your input on some cool new mobile gaming related features we've been developing. As always, we want to deliver the best user experience possible. Currently, as a part of our user experience initiative, we are focusing on improving gaming performance and the overall gaming experience.

We truly value the input of our users, like you, to help make this possible. Note: these features have never been shown before and YOU will be the first to test them out!

We are selecting 10 mobile gamers to test drive these features and share your feedback with us. You will get a chance to meet and interview with the creators and developers behind these OnePlus features in a one-hour digital video call. Selected participants will be contacted directly via PM.

If you are interested in participating, please fill out this form.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020

2. Drewbikscube
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Mar 10, 2020

Drewbikscube , Mar 10, 2020 :
    Seems odd the target demographic would be under 21? Most OnePlus customers and long time community members I would think are well over 21 having been to events and engaged with members since the original OnePlus One. Also as a person that travels quite a bit on business, I see many MANY adults well over 21 playing mobile games on planes etc. while in transit or waiting in long lines, etc..

Also, I’m really hoping this in return doesn’t turn into preinstalled bloat upon purchase. Already frustrating that Netflix etc. already comes pre installed. Many of us that chose to purchase a OnePlus device did so because it’s a clean OS with very minimal bloat. Continuing to add bloat will just make OnePlus more of the same like Samsung and others. Especially on carriers as OnePlus moves to more carriers. The amount of games and pre-installed bloat from ATT / Verizon is ridiculously annoying. Really really hope that’s not the intent here....

I want to add if the next gen device increases in pricing as the other gens have been lately, it makes it even more less compelling to purchase when you add bloat and features many don't want. For example adding the gaming mode etc. is fine but it certainly doesn't market to many in the OnePlus community I know, let alone myself. I could care less that it's there and it doesn't impact my buying decision. If the new target demographic is gamers specifically under 21, your target market will shrink for buyers in the US at least. Many won't buy specifically if you market to gamers and there's all these added "features" (bloat) for gamers but not offerings people are really looking for in a new device. Most will rather buy a Samsung S20 that offers more compelling features like a better camera, brighter display, better protection/support, and all for a lower price since it's a brand they already see and know especially.

Don't want to rant, but OnePlus just seems to be making some weird decisions the last few years or so and it brings to question whether OnePlus is making the right moves or is OnePlus settling to be like the rest of the brands just to sell and make a profit.... Business seems to have shifted the last year especially to the latter versus catering to what OnePlus did so well in never settling and offering a superior experience in comparison to big brands like Samsung etc. for less $. All the reasons I purchase OnePlus devices, and so many others I've met on here.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020

3. dcmcc24
    KitKat Mar 10, 2020

dcmcc24 , Mar 10, 2020 :
    Thank you for posting this. I couldn't have said it better myself. I do not want bloatware on my phone and if OnePlus continues to add stuff like this and raise prices I might as well just buy a Samsung phone.

4. Drewbikscube

I'd hope to see more user experience testing around cameras, display tech, battery improvements, etc. that appeal to much larger audiences than just gaming. When most hear gaming features or gaming experience it translates fast to bloat and features that are there and will go unused for most. For OnePlus honestly they do a great job mostly. They just need to heavily improve their cameras and then the device is pretty much as close to perfection as you can get for a mobile device today lol. Every year we hope for just a better camera and every year it's only slightly improved. As MKBHD and so many other YouTubers also mention, if they just took the same camera setup as a Pixel, you have a perfect phone. That's the feature and setup I wish was the focus. Not gaming of all things to focus on.

Honestly when I first read this I read it as, remember how Verizon and AT&T ship devices with 10+ games you don't want and screen sharing features that only work for well for "gaming" and have no other useful application in your daily life, yeah we're working on doing the same but better.... which again just translates to great I get to pay more this year for a device I have to uninstall / root etc. to make it a great experience again and the camera is just so so again because all the focus went into this gaming stuff I care less about :rolleyes::D Again, not trying to be super negative here just being constructive as a long time community member and OnePlus consumer. Hoping it drives some additional conversations internally at OnePlus when they make decisions like this.

5. Logancd1
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 10, 2020

Logancd1 , Mar 10, 2020 :
    "More less compelling to purchase" - as strange as I think that wording is, I completely agree. The price increases have already made it much less desirable to purchase a OnePlus phone over something else - there are other options that are simply better if I'm paying that much. And if I don't want to pay so much for a phone? Well, I have plenty of options well below the current OnePlus price point as well.

OnePlus phones currently fall into an awkward middle-ground where I can't decide if it's too expensive or too close to the biggest & best phones out there. If I want to get a OnePlus, I look at it as:
    1. I could spend $200-300 less and get just as great of a phone and have some improvements (such as camera - pixel a series)
    OR
    2. I could spend a little more and get a phone that has a bigger battery, a better camera, all the bells and whistles that even OnePlus phones don't have - wireless charging, stylus, IP rating, etc. And then I'm not compromising.

EDIT: Oh, and I don't understand the reasoning for looking for an audience of under 21 years old either. Drew makes a good point in saying there are a lot more than just 20 year olds that game on their phones. I'm older than 21, and I game on my phone all the time. I'm pretty sure Drew does too, considering he's the reason I've downloaded some games....

6. Drewbikscube

I miss the days where I didn't even need to compare OnePlus to another manufacturer @Logancd1 , I could just buy it and know I was getting a solid experience for a fair price. That has significantly changed following the OnePlus 6T series to date. In most cases today I can go with another brand and get a better camera, better battery, better support, close to the same performance, more features, and spend less $.

Regarding the under 21 age for this, I really think that is incredibly ridiculous. I'm almost 31 and certainly game on mobile devices and I've seen many across different age demographics that play mobile games ranging from 21-30, 30-40, 40 - 50, even up to 80. Just seems like such a weird way to group this "user experience". If all the features I'm buying are targeted for under 21, I guess I'm on the wrong community forum and buying devices outside of my age group o_O:rolleyes:

7. sfomin
    Nougat Mar 10, 2020

sfomin , Mar 10, 2020 :
    "adults" :rolleyes: FIFY

8. Logancd1
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 10, 2020

Logancd1 , Mar 10, 2020 :
    The only way I see this could be useful is if they're trying to reach out with the next generation of smartphone-owners and connect with them, but through gaming I don't believe is the right way to do that...

Montucky, dcmcc24 and Drewbikscube like this.
  9. Drewbikscube

Agreed 110%. Seems like a very odd way to approach this and an even stranger topic to start with.

dcmcc24 and Logancd1 like this.
  10. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Mar 10, 2020

staclnn72, Montucky, JayTea92 and 5 others like this.
  11. sfomin
    Nougat Mar 10, 2020

sfomin , Mar 10, 2020 :
    :rolleyes: ok, i-kach-u...

12. NEOMERCER
    Eclair Mar 11, 2020

NEOMERCER , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 11, 2020 :
    Lol whoops, I didn't quite read that bit about being under 21. I was wondering why there was a question on their about that. I'm 25 but oh well. I ended up submitting but I'm sure they will see I selected that I'm not within that age group.

Drewbikscube likes this.
  13. G_Alejandro_Fernández_F
    Gingerbread Mar 11, 2020

G_Alejandro_Fernández_F , Mar 11, 2020 :
    Totally agree with you.
    BTW... Almost 50 and gaming everyday.

staclnn72, Montucky and Drewbikscube like this.
  14. R_Haney_jr65
    Eclair Mar 11, 2020

R_Haney_jr65 , Mar 11, 2020 :
    forget gaming. let's discuss customization in the UI. customizing through out makes the device personal that's what we live about Android in the first place. not very many 21 and under on here obviously

Drewbikscube likes this.
  15. zelendel
    Donut Mar 11, 2020

zelendel , Mar 11, 2020 :
    The reason for the ages they are looking for is generally anyone over 21 is working too much to give any real gaming insight. Like it or not once you become of working age you start becoming irrelevant in the eyes of people like one plus. Just don't have the time to invest. Too many real world worries like job, gf, home, kids, and other more important things.

I'll be interested to see how this goes. As seldom has one plus really listened to anything the majoroty of users have to say. Otherwise the system wouldn't be as laughable as it is and we wouldn't need 3rd party devs and roms to make the devices work properly.

Montucky and Natanel oneplus like this.
  16. Natanel oneplus
    Cupcake Mar 11, 2020

Natanel oneplus , Mar 11, 2020 :
    There is a serious problem during playing call of duty in oneplus 6t The screen goes black but the game is still running please take care of it

17. ThomaGames
    Cupcake Mar 11, 2020

ThomaGames , Mar 11, 2020 :
    In my personal experience gaming on the OnePlus 7 Pro 5G, I find it a little difficult gaming with a curved display. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy having the curved display, I would just like to see OnePlus make the curves a little less sharp. Another feature that I would enjoy would be the implementation of dual front firing speakers. I really enjoy the full screen without the hindrance of a camera. One of the features that I and I believe some other people out there would also like to see would be allowing for the ability to charge faster then 15 watts with a power delivery charger and the implementation of a solid state battery (even though the price would most definitely increase), I feel that it would better increase the already great battery performance for individuals that like to game for extended periods of time without access to a charger. If OnePlus were to add in a solid state battery, that would allow the battery to last not only longer in the long run, but also allow it to charge at a higher wattage without damaging the battery. The last feature I believe is a nice feature to have is a headphone jack. I know headphone jacks are so 2017, but it would allow less latency for gaming and also allow people to use older headphones that might have become obsolete in the past few years with companies taking it away. I am 15 and live in the US.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020

Natanel oneplus likes this.
  18. AbdulHananTaha
    Donut Mar 11, 2020

AbdulHananTaha , via OnePlus 6T , Mar 11, 2020 :
    Same issue with my 6T phone screen blacks out and then game crashes happens every 20-30 mins

Natanel oneplus likes this.
  20. Blackwidow12
    Eclair Mar 12, 2020

Natanel oneplus and Drewbikscube like this.