Camera APK V5.4.56 via OnePlus 8 Pro

1. Xerxes1
    Donut Aug 13, 2020

Xerxes1 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 13, 2020 :
    With Android 11/Oxygen OS 11 just around the corner, and developer preview 3 being released just a few days ago for the OnePlus 8 Pro, I thought it would be a good idea to download the latest camera apk install it over Android 10. Below are some thoughts and observations.

**New features**
    This APK version brings several new features to the video mode, including Focus tracking, nightscape, in portrait mode.

Photo mode includes a plethora of new filters, and a revised shutter button.

Quick sharing is now enabled, though the suggested options have not been useful so far. Hopefully this gets tweaked, as I do not share over Bluetooth or to OnePlus very often, but rather over Instagram, Facebook, messages, etc.

Photo mode now shows a yellow icon for scenes detected. I have noticed a landscape scene, and text scene icon so far. Let's see how many there are! ;)

**Performance**
    Performance is relative, as this is installed over Android 10 and it's meant to be installed on Android 11. On top of that, this APK is from the developer preview, so it is not well baked whatsoever. That being said, the shutter is extremely fast in photo mode. Video HDR mode does not currently work, and videos still exhibit stuttering when starting video, and stuttering when switching between the various lenses. I've been told that OnePlus is aware of this issue, and will be working on it.

**Improvements**
    As mentioned in the performance section, camera shutter speed seems to have been increased dramatically, with very little delay in camera capture.

Double tap the lock button to open the camera can still be janky at times, and can result in frame drops in the viewfinder, but seems faster to launch. Hopefully this can be smoothed out as the experience can be quite jarring.

In my brief testing the color profiles between the ultra wide angle and the wide angle sensors seem to be more in line with what I would expect, with less color shift between the lenses.

Macro mode is still switched on automatically when getting close to a subject, but the toggle for macro mode is back to what it originally was on launch day software.

Focus tracking for the video mode works extremely well, with fast and accurate tracking.

Video portrait mode works very well, with minimal issues around the edges of the subject, a natural bokeh on the background, and no noticeable issues detecting the edges of the subject.

Nightscape for video switches the resolution to 1080p@30, and disables EIS. It does not seem to do much else, and is lackluster at best.

I've not tested nightscape for photos, so I can't speak to any improvements here yet.

**Wrap Up**
    It seems like OnePlusis adding a number of meaningful features the camera application, and is working to improve stability and ease-of-use. The design language seems to be in line with the design language of oxygen OS 11, but OnePlus still has some work to do on smoothing out its software for a seamless experience. Video stuttering, and frame drops when switching between lenses still needs work, but improvements made to shutter speed in photo mode are a huge step in the right direction.

**Note**
    This APK is not intended to be installed on Android 10, download at your own risk.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020

Neerajan, Bouncer71 and script like this.
  2. EthanMaskie
    Froyo Aug 13, 2020

3. Xerxes1
    Donut Aug 13, 2020

EthanMaskie and JelleZon like this.
  4. JelleZon
    Lollipop Aug 13, 2020

JelleZon , Aug 13, 2020 :
    This is so annoying because whenever I want to take Macro shots it switches back an forth when Im moving just a bit too far away

5. script
    Nougat Moderator Aug 14, 2020

script , Aug 14, 2020 :
    Wow, Great description. Thank you very much. Great post!!

Xerxes1 likes this.
  6. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Aug 14, 2020

7. Neerajan
    Honeycomb Aug 14, 2020

Neerajan , via OnePlus 8 , Aug 14, 2020 :
    Thanks for taking the time to put together all these information. Were you able to check the performance of the front camera under low lighting? Is there any improvement in that area?

Once a very good thread with useful information.

8. Xerxes1
    Donut Aug 14, 2020

Xerxes1 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 14, 2020 :
    I have not yet, I rarely use the front camera so I don't have an accurate comparison.

Neerajan likes this.