Camera improvements required of ONEPLUS 5T

1. BryanTiang15
    Froyo Jan 1, 2018

BryanTiang15 , Jan 1, 2018 :
    I completely agree that one plus needs to step up it's game with the cameras. I feel that current software updates aren't helpful and we have no idea to what extent OP is willing to improve this camera

2. Straynart
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 1, 2018

Straynart , Jan 1, 2018 :
    erm..if you want the best photophone: the Pixel 2 is the must-have, not the iPhone X.

3. JayBl8de

JayBl8de , Jan 1, 2018 :
    HDR is not supposed to be used in low light. That's also why it usually doesn't turn on on auto with low light.

The result of that pro mode is nice, but now much did you see in reality? I want a cam to show the real picture usually and not a night vision system ;)

4. Straynart

I know HDR isn't meant to be used in LL. That was just a test.

In reality? Did you not see the first photo? I can barely see anything.

5. JayBl8de

JayBl8de , Jan 1, 2018 :
    Let's put it that way... OP has not intended hdr to be used for LL, other companies do...

Results of Mi5s with hdr and LL reminded me of 5t without hdr... 5t still much better. Hdr on op is supposed to give e. G. Better contrast on certain pics. When used with low light it gives the paint effect ;)

This below was with hdr on (auto)
    View attachment 662408

6. Straynart

Erm..I don't really understand why you quoted me and only talked about HDR. I said I used HDR for test, I didn't say anything on it like it has to be used in LL conditions. My tests were just to show 5T capability in a nearly pitch black condition. Plus, I totally disable the HDR on my phone, I only use pro mode [with my little "knowledge"].

7. Waka_Yama

Waka_Yama , Jan 1, 2018 :
    I think the question is what OnePlus CAN do about it.
    Oppo / OnePlus has been choosing a different approach then other manufactures regarding the hardware of this camera. Beside the missing OIS we have significantly smaller pixels on sensors then the upward competition. There will be limits what is achievable out of this setting.
    Leading to the next point: development in postprocessing.
    This is a really tough work to develop which needs a lot of knowledge. And that's the thing: we don't know who is really responsible for developing here. Imho there are enough reasons speaking for the usage of 3rd party development or the support of Oppo.
    I don't know about the results of Oppo R11s reading through some of the rarely available reviews shows that Oppos R11s delivers the same results \ struggles with the same problems like OP5T.

So once again: I wouldn't expect any serious improvements over time. If they could I think they would have already updated it. It feels like every 1 out of 5 threads starts with disappointment about the camera or leads to something like this.Which is really a shame.

TurboBot, Straynart and BryanTiang15 like this.
  8. Ed_88
    Honeycomb Jan 2, 2018

Ed_88 , Jan 2, 2018 :
    Sorry mate but I think you've mistaken your DSLR for your smartphone, cause no phone (not even Pixel 3 when it comes next year), can have great details in low and harsh lighting conditions.
    How do I know that you're wrong? cause I already pitted the OP5T against a Mate 10 Pro as well as a Galaxy S8 under low light conditions, and the OP5T was better then the Mate 10 Pro (at least in the scene I could test, it was in a shop with bad neon lighting)
    And later in a bar with terrible reddish lighting, it yielded almost a photo copy image of what the Galaxy S8 captured, even after zooming all the way on the picture (was of a dog, yet even the details of the fur were the same).
    So why don't I hear you and others complain about these phones despite them costing more? it's cause they cost more, so everyone just assume they're much better (I went to both comparisons expecting the OP5T to be crushed, only to be pleasantly surprised, so I'm not blaming anyone, we're all susceptible to hype and over expectation).

You know that in a blind comparision made by Android authority, the OP5T camera ranked No.3 by popular vote? don't take my word for it, here is the link (You can check the pictures yourself or scroll down to see what people voted when it was a blind shootout:

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-of-android-2017-camera-subjective-821044/

video (not just camera):

Ofc, they didn't award it No.3 for the "technical camera review", but if people voted it 3rd, does that even matter?

Straynart likes this.
  9. opthakur
    Froyo Jan 2, 2018

10. kpais
    Cupcake Jan 2, 2018

kpais , Jan 2, 2018 :
    please work on the camera. the hardware is built, just need the software to backup the hardware. please

11. Jeancharlesboch
    Donut Jan 2, 2018

12. Jeancharlesboch
    Donut Jan 2, 2018

13. natts_in
    Cupcake Jan 2, 2018

natts_in , Jan 2, 2018 :
    The portrait mode also requires some work as it doesn't blur the background properly. I have installed Google camera which did it with perfection. The HDR mode also needs improvements.

14. bwais
    Donut Jan 2, 2018

bwais , Jan 2, 2018 :
    I just came back from a trip with my family. Hdr mode with front camera were unusable, the background was overexposed and lost all detail. Used a 3 year old 6p instead for most of the photos, pictures turned out amazing.
    I bought 5t thinking I will have a a reasonably good camera, but it can't keep up with a 3 year old phone, in detail and processing. Huge disappointment. I wish I was withing the 15 day return period...

E1512139951286 likes this.
  15. ps000000
    Cupcake Jan 2, 2018

16. xeon101
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 2, 2018

xeon101 , Jan 2, 2018 :
    Nothin really.....

17. nquina
    Eclair Jan 2, 2018

nquina , Jan 2, 2018 :
    The camera is kind of a "hit and miss"! Sometimes it takes some great pictures, other times it seems to fail the most basic ones.

The good thing is that it seems to be some kind of software issue. Probably if OnePlus works hard on this problem it will fix it!

Impulse_CK likes this.
  18. E1512139951286
    Eclair Jan 2, 2018

19. xeon101

xeon101 , Jan 2, 2018 :
    zooming not working....

20. xeon101

xeon101 , Jan 2, 2018 :
    how to edit photos without being copied....