Camera Performance on Custom-Roms / Stock camera app for custom roms?

?

Should OnePlus release the stock camera app to the Play Store?

1. Yes, please.

282 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. No, thanks.

7 vote(s)
    2.1%
  3. I use Oxygen OS

32 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. I use a Custom-Rom regardless of the camera performance

18 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. I would use a Custom-Rom if the camera performance would be equal to stock

91 vote(s)
    27.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AcmE85
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 21, 2016

AcmE85 , Jul 21, 2016 :
    After testing CyanogenMod 13 yesterday, I came to the conclusion that the biggest problem right now is not missing dash charge (which will be released soon for custom roms / kernels),
    but the camera quality on custom-roms in general.

On stock OxygenOS, the stock camera app provides the best quality and performance
    due to the postprocessing which kicks in here. Unfortunately this postprocessing is not used in
    third-party-apps, which results in more noise most of the time.

Here is the problem!
    If the stock camera app can't be used on custom-roms, the camera quality will never be on par with OxygenOS which is a huge drawback in my opinion.

Personally, I bought this device with modification in mind and would love to use other roms.
    But I also use the camera heavily, which really keeps me from leaving OxygenOS.
    To be honest, if I would've known from the start that this would be the case on custom roms, I probably never would have bought this device. Even though I love it :/

There is a work-in-progress camera-port on XDA
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-3/themes/port-official-oxygenos-3-1-3-camera-mm-t3407757
    Postprocessing is not working and tap-to-focus and panorama result in camera force close.
    Auto/HQ/HDR all produce the same image.

The goal of this thread is to make OnePlus aware of this problem.
    Maybe they can help with porting (which is probably unlikely).
    Maybe they could release the camera app to the play store and make it available for all OnePlus 3 users, regardless which rom they are currently using.

At the same time stock users would benefit much of this.
    Updates could become much quicker without waiting for OTAs.

What do you guys think of this?

edit: I have added additional answers to the poll.
    Please vote accordingly.

edit: here is a comparison between the Google Camera and the Stock Camera App taken on OxygenOS 3.2.1 on pure auto, no HDR, no HQ mode.

* Google Camera https://abload.de/img/img_20160723_001912tkqmo.jpg

* Stock Camera https://abload.de/img/img_20160723_001920t9q4y.jpg

* Google Camera https://abload.de/img/img_20160723_002156l7rpb.jpg

* Stock Camera https://abload.de/img/img_20160723_002205h1q8y.jpg

There is much more noise due to the missing postprocessing in third-party apps.
    Photos taken on CM13 will look like the one's from the Google Camera.
    Using the app Manual Camera for example does not change this.

edit: another camera app comparison
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=67946626&postcount=17

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016

Gladdos, Loufier, Adipekar and 16 others like this.
  2. Deepak.Si
    KitKat Jul 21, 2016

Deepak.Si , Jul 21, 2016 :
    I think That's why It called Official Rom ...because it uses everything from Software and Hardware...

...and it's good that the OnePlus Devices are Root friendly...but there is still many more people who use their phone in stock condition ...

3. AcmE85

AcmE85 , Jul 21, 2016 :
    I was expecting such an answer. You make it sound as helping ALL users is a bad thing.

Keep in mind that OP releases all hardware specifics for building a custom rom officialy: https://github.com/OnePlusOSS
    The OP3 runs flawless with CyanogenMod13. No issues whatsoever. In fact, it fixes most of the software bugs found in OxygenOS. But that is off-topic.

CM13 even includes the latest camera blobs, taken from the recent 3.2.1 OTA in July:

https://github.com/TheMuppets/propr...mmit/6f88a645edd8ce026ee91bb312b739238bb7f77c

https://github.com/TheMuppets/propr...mmit/0942f3ab178e6deeeebed0ba518e1482805ded9c

Many would love to flash custom-roms because OnePlus clearly advertised the OP3 as being developer friendly. When a huge feature such as the camera performs less good compared to stock, what does all this openness help here?
    The OP3 is nearly Nexus like the way you can unlock, flash roms and kernels.
    That's why it is appealing to a huge tech-savvy audience.
    But on Nexus devices, there is no loss in camera quality when using different roms.

Also: Using another camera app like Google Camera on stock OxygenOS produces the same results as using Google Camera on CM13. The only missing link for higher quality pictures is software in form of the stock camera app.

To go even further, what does OnePlus lose when helping the community by releasing its app to the Play Store?

I don't see any cons, only pros here.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016

OmegaMode, pal.sayan3, jakito and 4 others like this.
  4. Deepak.Si
    KitKat Jul 21, 2016

You seem like the Creator of that thread at XDA too...
    So here is the More detailed answer :-
    My previous comment wasn't negative....
    I just said that That's why it is the Official OS for The Phone because it uses all the resources from Both SW & HW side.
    What you found wrong in this sentence ??

Thanks... I Know that.
    Many who are not satisfied with the Oxygen OS performance and also Have knowledge about Modification in OS Or Flashing Costom ROM's will love to modify it...But again not everyone is a Developer nor everyone has the problem with the OS.

People will get the update quickly for that specific app....and i don't think there is a problem.

Everyone wants a good working ROM and if OnePlus Provide that with The Oxygen OS nothing is wrong with that for people who want to stay with the OS and for them who go with Rooting , Other Roms & all that stuff....So OnePlus can Provide the 'Internals' of the OS or the Specific (Camera) app...Nothing is wrong with that too.

AcmE85 likes this.
  5. AcmE85

AcmE85 , Jul 21, 2016 :
    Thanks for your explanation. I have added additional answers which should show a clearer picture.

Deepak.Si likes this.
  6. Deepak.Si
    KitKat Jul 21, 2016

People want a "Perfect" working OS (Bug Free, Lightweight ,Battery Efficient , Lots of Customization...Etc).. So if OnePlus trying to make OxygenOS like that ...I'm willing to give them some more time....
    Why go anywhere else if the Stock OS is providing Goodness..and if not then do whatever that suits.
    Hopefully that will save some hassle....but for now it's all on the Air .

Bye

7. AcmE85

AcmE85 , Jul 21, 2016 :
    I could write an essay about issues on OxygenOS which are not existant on CM13 on the OnePlus 3.
    But this is not the topic here. I simply wanted to point out that camera quality for custom roms is not on par with stock Oxygen OS. Maybe this might bring OnePlus to react positively and release their camera app so that it can be installed on different roms. It is in no way my goal to discuss which OS has bugs or is better. They went a long way with Oxygen OS and it is pretty stable so far.

8. Konskla
    Froyo Jul 21, 2016

Konskla , Jul 21, 2016 :
    I'm waiting for a good camera to replace OOS. I agree that having a developer friendly phone should mean that everything found in the original OS of the phone should work thr same way in custom roms ad well. So yea oneplus please release the godamn app in playstore.

9. Adipekar
    Gingerbread Jul 21, 2016

daviporciuncula likes this.
  10. laupuy
    Honeycomb Jul 21, 2016

laupuy , Jul 21, 2016 :
    +1
    Thanks
    and voted ;)

11. Planet X
    Gingerbread Jul 21, 2016

Planet X , Jul 21, 2016 :
    I tried to use my OP3 with OxygenOS but with a different dpi size of 440 I did experience only green foto's from the so nice camera. Also only one ringtone for two simcards made me moving to cm13 in less than a week.

12. Satras
    Honeycomb Jul 21, 2016

13. shisirfake
    Cupcake Jul 22, 2016

shisirfake , Jul 22, 2016 :
    only signed up to vote "yes". Do you guys really want to be just another samsung ( as in not releasing anything )?
    also as mentioned before, many of us bought the phone with CM in mind and never intended to stay on oxygen.

edit: well done on releasing dash. now just the camera and your customers won't have to settle anymore

edit2: camera blobs are about to be released. I am now fully happy with my purchase. Thanks OP.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016

14. obiwan+
    Honeycomb Jul 22, 2016

obiwan+ , Jul 22, 2016 :
    OnePlus must help developers ASAP to get 100% camera performance. This is a top priority issue. I too bought this phone to install custom ROMs. I agree this issue is even much more important than dash charge.
    Top discovery, top thread, +1

Flamehell and Balrog22 like this.
  15. AcmE85
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 22, 2016

AcmE85 , Jul 22, 2016 :
    @obiwan+ What I observed is:
    When using Google Camera for example, the image quality is identical on OxygenOS and CyanogenMod13. Only when using the stock camera app you will get better quality on OxygenOS, because of the applied postprocessing which is not available/possible for third-party-apps.

There is not much that rom-developers can do about it.
    Only solution to this is to make the stock camera app available for installation on custom-roms.

edit: I noticed one thing which works better on cm13:
    Photosphere and Panorama Mode inside the Google Camera are incredibly slow on OxygenOS! No problems on CM13 though.

16. Satras
    Honeycomb Jul 23, 2016

Satras , Jul 23, 2016 :
    @Carl is this something you would consider ? We would love to get the same good Performance on Custom OS's.

AcmE85 and obiwan+ like this.
  17. AcmE85
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 23, 2016

AcmE85 , Jul 23, 2016 :
    @Carl
    To be clear here, I am not criticizing OnePlus by any means.
    You provided great community support for the OnePlus 3 since its release.
    The camera performs equal to stock on custom-roms with third-party-apps.
    It's a pity though that the superior quality provided by the stock camera app
    can't be used on custom-roms. I fully understand that this postprocessing is limited to your own camera-app the way it works.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016

18. Natakranta
    Gingerbread Jul 23, 2016

Natakranta , Jul 23, 2016 :
    I love OOS Camera app. Both for its quality of pictures and user interface. Please make it stand alone app on Play Store available for custom ROMs users.

theshinybeast likes this.
  19. daviporciuncula
    Cupcake Jul 24, 2016

daviporciuncula , Jul 24, 2016 :
    I wanted to start this topic for sometime, however I'm a new forum member and didn't have enough replies to do that haha

20. js931
    Froyo Jul 24, 2016

js931 , Jul 24, 2016 :
    Oneplus, please release the camera app! Or, if it is too much work for other ROMs, please release the full source code for others developers to be able to port the camera to other ROMs!