Camera problem on OnePlus 8T...

1. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Oct 20, 2020

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Oct 20, 2020 :
    OnePlus must quickly release an update that fixes the camera on the 8T.

OOS 11.0.1.2 came with camera fixes, but instead made it worse. Pictures look extremely smoothened, skin tones lightened, and portrait mode is horrible.

This is not acceptable for a phone selling in the premium smartphone space.

GCam

Although a port for the 8T is not out yet, I tried the port for the OnePlus 7 series from developer Urnyx (linked below and is the same for the OnePlus 8, not the Pro models). Both primary and ultra-wide cameras are working on the GCam. You have to enable the 'Telephoto' switch under settings to access the ultra-wide camera.

Here are some initial impressions:

1. Selfies are significantly better on the GCam port, both indoors and outdoors.

2. Rear camera performance is relatively better on the stock camera, especially indoors due to better exposure on stock camera.

3. HDR is better on the stock camera.

4. Outdoor shots during daytime look good on both, but GCam produces slightly better dynamic range. Stock camera over exposes a bit with slightly warmer tones, so colours are not as good as on GCam.

5. When using the primary camera, Nightscape of stock app is better than Nightsight of GCam. But when using ultra wide lens, GCam Nightsight is better than OnePlus Nightscape.

6. Pictures in the dark using flash is much better using stock camera. That's because the flash lights up much brighter when using stock camera.

Here is the link:

https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/changelog1441/

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020

2. Cooklung
    Honeycomb Oct 20, 2020

Cooklung , Oct 20, 2020 :
    I don't think a $750 phone is in premium realm. More mid range.
    However, if there's a camera problem, that shouldn't be acceptable on any phone. I get mine in the mail today.

3. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Oct 20, 2020

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Oct 20, 2020 :
    Anything over $700 is premium. Those you are referring to are 'super-premium' or 'ultra-premium'.

Regardless, as you said, the cameras are very important hardware in a phone and their performance is closely monitored against the price of the device.

Sanjyotg and jugojyoti like this.
  4. shinnsohai
    Froyo Oct 21, 2020

vsabard and jugojyoti like this.
  5. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Oct 21, 2020

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Oct 21, 2020 :
    If cameras are very important for you, you should choose the 8Pro over 8T. That said, I hope they improve the performance with software updates. Also waiting for the GCam port.

6. rh94
    Gingerbread Oct 21, 2020

rh94 , via OnePlus 3T , Oct 21, 2020 :
    Yeah, hope they port Pixel 5's camera soon.

7. Rjt_Kumar
    Gingerbread Oct 21, 2020

Rjt_Kumar , via OnePlus 8T , Oct 21, 2020 :
    Yeah camera need some improvements... Specially in colour correction department... GCam mode may good in meantime... But waiting for pixel 5 GCam for 8T.

8. MakB
    Honeycomb Oct 22, 2020

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020

9. Rjt_Kumar
    Gingerbread Oct 22, 2020

Rjt_Kumar , via OnePlus 8T , Oct 22, 2020 :
    Yeah, especially 48 mp main camera. It producing photos with extra whitening and lots of contrast...
    OnePlus didn't expect this from you, after spending 46k what we are getting this? My previous 20k mobile taking better pictures than this phone. And my new 30k pixel 4a taking far better pictures than OnePlus 8t.
    What are the issues I discovered:
    1. Main camera is simply washing out the pictures with extra white and contrast.
    2. Producing yellowish pictures in nightscape mode.
    3. No nightscape for the front camera.
    OnePlus team have to work seriously on camera otherwise you will definitely loose your loyal customer including me. @Carl

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020

10. F1602601398755
    Cupcake Oct 22, 2020

F1602601398755 , Oct 22, 2020 :
    Any one having problem that when we open camera from from launcher in starting it shows two white lines. And not when we open it from home screen

11. Chaithanya kumar M , via OnePlus 8T , Oct 22, 2020 :
    Yeah that's true

I am shocked after looking at those pictures after the update. They are soo horrible.

Cannot accept this type of performance from a flagship mobile.

OnePlus better fix it quick.

12. aswinrulez
    Honeycomb Oct 22, 2020

aswinrulez , Oct 22, 2020 :
    I have own most of the oneplus series phone. yesterday i upgraded from oneplus 6 to oneplus 8T. I was going to buy Oneplus 7T as my sister recently got it and picture come beautifully in it but decided to trust the brand and what a horrible mistake i have made.

I upgrade to the newer version even though my OP6 was working fine to take better pics. My OP6 and my sister's OP7T takes better pics that OP8T.
    There are loads of grain at 0.6x during day time. All the colors seems faded and washed out. Everything looks so dull. The picture matches what I get from the old spare oneplust 3T I have lying around.

13. Sanjyotg
    Eclair Oct 22, 2020

Sanjyotg , via OnePlus 8T , Oct 22, 2020 :
    Yesterday was my sister's birthday
    I took pics from my 8T in (good lit indoor night)
    The pictures came out were too much contrasty and washed out crushing all the shadow details
    Making pictures unusable TBH I felt ashamed by the Camera Performance

Then I tweaked the pics from Google photos app
    I increased the shadow details and
    increased saturation and warm little bit

The pic got drastically good!!!!!
    This much poor camera calibration
    is beyond unacceptable

Remark:- Disappointing Camera Experience in night indoors
    OnePlus hope you Fix this in next Coming Update!!!

14. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Oct 23, 2020

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Oct 23, 2020 :
    Yes. Indoor photos have the 'oil painting' effect and lack sharpness/ clarity, in addition to what you have stated.

Rjt_Kumar likes this.
  15. Akkithakur
    Cupcake Oct 23, 2020

16. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Oct 23, 2020

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Oct 23, 2020 :
    Haven't tried that yet. Will check it out.

17. C1603190463102
    Cupcake Oct 23, 2020

C1603190463102 , via OnePlus 8T , Oct 23, 2020 :
    Is there a way to capture photos on Google photos app?

18. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Oct 23, 2020

19. renaatp
    Cupcake Oct 23, 2020

renaatp , Oct 23, 2020 :
    I also have problems with the camera..
    Mostly the photo's come out not sharp in every way possible (12mp, 48mp, ultra wide option,...)

I hope there will be a update soon..

I chose OP8T over the competition because I wanted to stay true on the brand..
    But This doesn't help it.. Even at this price range I expect better! (my OP6T took better photo's)

Attached Files:

20. renaatp
    Cupcake Oct 23, 2020

renaatp , Oct 23, 2020 :
    I think he/she ment the Gcam app.
    There is one, but even though I think they have to improve the standard camera app soon!