Camera Samples: 1+ One vs Xiaomi Redmi 1s

1. kidrow
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 19, 2014

kidrow , Dec 19, 2014 :
    Hi all,

So here's some camera samples from the 1+ One & the Xiaomi Redmi 1s, :).

I'm no expert but I tried to be as consistent as possible. So,

1. All the shots are in Auto mode for both cams. Only on a few shots did I change the focus mode to Macro. But nothing else was touched.
    My OPO is running on CM 44s, not Color OS. I'd read that it can make a difference.

2. For each camera, I took anywhere between 3-5 shots & chose the one that looked the best in terms of sharpness.**
    All the shots are handheld & without the assistance of a tripod. So I did this to eliminate poor shots due to camera shake, as far as possible.

**For the 'Pistons' pics, I've included 2 shots from the OPO. Here's why-
    While the first exposure was consistent with how the OPO cam usually behaves (viz. leaning towards over-exposure), the detail (grooves) was lost (as is apparent from the 5mp crop).
    With the second one, while the image is a bit under-exposed (by OPO standards anyway), the detail (grooves) is much better retained.

3. Some shots were taken at the highest native resolutions of the respective cams - 8mp for the Redmi 1s & 13mp for the OPO. Some of the shots however, were taken at 5mp for both cams.
    The images were then resized to 5mp & 1mp. The cropped/zoomed images you see below are the 5mp images, while the others are the resized 1mp images.

4. All the images are SOOC. A photo editor was used only for the resizing/cropping.

5. I had difficulty in framing shots with the OPO. It seems to actually capture a bit more than what is framed. That is partly the reason for the dissimilarity between the 2 cams' samples vis-a-vis the framing.

6. For every shot, I tapped to focus & then pressed the on-screen shutter. I would've preferred to click the images by pressing & holding the focus point, to help with steadiness. But this seems to not work on the OPO, unlike the Redmi 1s.

So, enough talk. I'll let the images speak for themselves......

Enjoy!!!

#1 Idol
    Idol720p.jpg
    IdolCropCompare.jpg

#2 David [No Flash]
    DavidNoFlash720p.jpg
    DavidCropCompare.jpg

#3 David [With Flash]
    DavidFlash720p.jpg

#4 Books [No Flash]
    Books480p.jpg
    BooksCropCompare.jpg

#5 Books [With Flash]
    BooksFlash480p.jpg

#6 Eggs
    Eggs480p.jpg
    EggsCropCompare.jpg

#7 Grunge Lit
    GrungeLit720p.jpg
    GrungeLitCropCompare.jpg

#8 Grunge Unlit
    GrungeUnlit720p.jpg
    GrungeUnlitCropCompare.jpg

#9 Grunge 02 Backlit
    Grunge480p.jpg
    GrungeCropCompare.jpg

#10-a Lamp [Tap Focus on Bulb]
    Lamp01720p.jpg
    LampCropCompare.jpg

#10-b Lamp [Tap Focus on Glass/Shade]
    Lamp02720p.jpg

#10-c Lamp [Tap Focus on Base]
    Lamp03720p.jpg

#11-a Pistons
    Pistons720p.jpg
    Pistons01CropCompare.jpg

#11-b Pistons
    Pistons02720p.jpg
    Pistons02CropCompare.jpg

#12 Speaker
    Speaker720p.jpg
    SpeakerCropCompare.jpg

#13 Street Lamp
    StreetLight480p.jpg
    StreetLampCropCompare.jpg

#14 Towers
    Towers720p.jpg
    TowersCropCompare.jpg

#15 Shoe
    Shoe720p.jpg
    ShoeCropCompare.jpg

#16 Sunny Ben
    SunnyBen720p.jpg
    SunnyBenCropCompare.jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014

vspatil, Madtherapy7, ramli7 and 12 others like this.
  2. Elas
    Jelly Bean Dec 19, 2014

3. leemartin
    Lollipop Dec 19, 2014

leemartin , Dec 19, 2014 :
    That is by quite some distance the best Grunge I have ever seen.....and lets not get into silver boot plant pots!!!

jkbhso3, Lunatasian and rritambhar like this.
  4. antiprism
    Gingerbread Dec 19, 2014

antiprism , Dec 19, 2014 :
    Ahh, I love camera comparison shots! And I especially love seeing shots from the OnePlus One as I haven't been able to extensively test out the OPO camera myself yet.

5. 4nlimited3dition
    Jelly Bean Dec 19, 2014

6. blur13
    Jelly Bean Dec 19, 2014

blur13 , Dec 19, 2014 :
    The One seems brighter to me.....but both look pretty good!! Thanks for sharing!;)

7. sid1712
    Cupcake Dec 19, 2014

sid1712 , Dec 19, 2014 :
    Wow, either this camera is horrible or the software has really screwed the camera with so much processing. There is absolutely no detail in OPO's shots

8. rritambhar
    Jelly Bean Dec 19, 2014

ronoldo likes this.
  9. anayahiren
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 19, 2014

10. Paarkhi
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 20, 2014

11. sh3llshock
    KitKat Dec 20, 2014

sh3llshock , Dec 20, 2014 :
    Opo needs soms camera software updates. The colors on the opo look like in real life so the color saturation is better on the OPO.

12. madhukannan
    Cupcake Dec 20, 2014

madhukannan , Dec 20, 2014 :
    OPOs camera hardware is excellent but its image processing is worst , it may be a issue of the OS . white balance is usually off which results in washed out colors , and in low light conditions software bumbs up the iso to its limits and lowers the shutter speed very low that pics turns out to be noisy . You can achieve good shots if you manually adjust the iso and hold the phone steady .

13. kidrow
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 21, 2014

kidrow , Dec 21, 2014 :
    Yes, the One tends to err on the side of over-exposure at the expense of noise.

So it can make even poorly lit locations seem well lit. For e.g., the Idol image.

The downside is that you could lose details in the highlights. For e.g., the glass in the Grunge 02 Backlit shot.

Of course, if you are shooting in raw, then you should be able to bring back those bits, iinm. But my tests are concerned with auto & jpeg, since that is what will be most commonly used.

Yes, the OPO shots are comparatively warmer.

I feel though that they are more accurate than the 1s, as far as colour temperature is concerned, especially in daylight images. For e.g. the flower's colours (Sunny Ben) are more accurate with the OPO.

But in artificial warm lighting, it can be a bit extreme imo. For e.g. the Grunge Lit image.

ramli7 likes this.
  14. nitishrajput
    Cupcake Dec 21, 2014

nitishrajput , Dec 21, 2014 :
    Why are u comparing it with low end phone...but best part of it nice work..

ramli7 likes this.
  15. kidrow
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 21, 2014

kidrow , Dec 21, 2014 :
    Because that's all I can afford! :). I'd love to compare it with a G3 or iphone...... if someone would lend me theirs, :).

But in all fairness, I think the Redmi 1s' camera is pretty good & punches well above it's weight.

Also, when I first used the OPO cam, I got a feeling that it's not all that great, even though I was coming from a budget 1s. So I decided to do some test shots for myself, just to ensure that it isn't just psychological. When I embarked on that exercise, I decided to do it as scientifically as I could & post the results here for all to see.

One thing I realized was that the OPO cam isn't as bad as I'd initially thought. (Though it isn't all that great either).
    But what gave me that earlier impression was partly the size. The phone is larger & lighter than the Redmi 1s which I'm used to. Add to that the fact that there isn't an option to click a snap by holding down a focus point onscreen. As a result, holding it steady can be a challenge.
    & then there is the tendency to bump up the iso & consequently the noise.
    Both of these meant that I was getting many blurred & noisy images.

ramli7 likes this.
  16. Axleoke
    Cupcake Dec 21, 2014

Axleoke , Dec 21, 2014 :
    Looking pretty superb, thanks for the post

17. MUM13200
    Cupcake Dec 21, 2014

18. santosh_bs
    Honeycomb Dec 22, 2014

santosh_bs , Dec 22, 2014 :
    Somehow...I would not agree with this in entirety.
    bumping ISO to 4100 is way too high that will induce a whole lot of noise that makes the picture look very bad.
    Low light shots taken from OpO aren't that great (it's a known fact) but daylight shots are extremely good and marches way ahead of others (Clear Image is one good mode to shoot) and the amount of detail it shows and the contrast variances is fine.
    Yes, it misses the on screen capture button through focus point... but you can definitely make ways around it and learn to hold the phone steady... Is being big a -ve point of Opo...?
    Additionally, you get the added benefit of shooting raw images and if you are aware, they hold a treasure of data and can be processed accordingly.
    Technically of Scientifically, your comparisons are incorrect if you are not shooting both of the with the same set of settings.

19. CosmicPaladin
    Jelly Bean Dec 23, 2014

CosmicPaladin , Dec 23, 2014 :

Good job bro! :)

in my exp, OPO falls apart in low light conditions. And focusing is very inconsistent.

I have the Redmi 1s too and its by far the best in its segment - quick processing of images and all that.

ramli7 likes this.
  20. ronoldo
    KitKat Dec 23, 2014

kanno likes this.