Can I Manually update to another Oxygen OS build? Current: indian, I want to change to EU.

1. mcfozan
    Donut Apr 22, 2021

mcfozan , Apr 22, 2021 :
    My phone is the Oneplus 9 12/256 Chinese version, flashed with global ROM (Indian) before shipping to me.
    It works fine, Oxygen OS 11.2.3.3LE25DA

I want to manually update next time to European or International 11.2.4 or whatever version is coming next, because I don't want some apps that came pre-installed in the Indian ROM.

Is it possible to do that? If yes, is it going to replace the indian version with the EU/International without problems?
    Note: I don't mind formatting the phone, my old OP5T is working and I can restore data at any time.

To recap: I want to change my OP9 Oxygen OS 11.2.3.3LE25DA (Indian Version) to Oxygen OS newer version EU/International.

Caoimhín likes this.
  2. Shailender Sharma
    Marshmallow Apr 22, 2021

Caoimhín likes this.
  3. Caomhin
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 22, 2021

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Apr 22, 2021 :
    Thanks👍

It has been done, however you will lose all the regional apps. And not 100% if the bands on the EU rom will work.

OnePlus allows Custom roms to be installed without issue. Nothing is ever guaranteed, but as you say, yours is a Chinese phone, currently running and Indian OOS ROM.

Give it a try. Let us know how you get on with it. Particularly the 5G bands if you have a 5G plan.

4. mcfozan
    Donut Apr 22, 2021

mcfozan , Apr 22, 2021 :
    Thanks for stopping by
    I thought that 5G bands were hardware specific, meaning that it doesn't matter what OS is running, it either supports the band or it doesn't :/
    Anyways in my country many people suggest that we purchase the EU or NA version because they support the most amount of bands, maybe changing the OS will give me a better chance at getting 5G? I have a 5G plan, but it doesn't work on my OP9, and 4G is enough for me right now.

By saying nothing is ever guaranteed, do you mean a successful OS swap? Whats the worst thing that can happen if there is a compatibility issue? I keep reading about people "bricking" their phones doing root and stuff and I am a little scared to be honest.

I tried selecting the EU 11.2.3.3 in Local Upgrade but it says that it doesn't allow downgrading, I guess I must wait for the new update. Unless there is a solution for this?
    Sorry about all these questions, I appreciate your time.

TheMystic and Caoimhín like this.
  5. Caomhin

As it's a OnePlus OOS, it shouldn't brick the phone. When changing to any OOS that didn't come with the phone, it always has minor risks. That's with Custom OS and even OOS when switching from one to another. 99.9% of the time it will be fine. EU 11.2.3.3 is probably an older version than the version you have on the phone.

If you do want a fully clean installation you might be better off using the MSMDownload Tool for OnePlus 9 as you may also have to remove the Persist folder which contains localised regional info.

Check XDA OnePlus 9 section, they will usually develop the tool and link to the regional roms if you need to change.
    I see you have looked for the info there already, I would suggest requesting that info again. The reason being is to ensure a correct way to switch and to ensure the Persist folder is reset correctly.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/is-it-possible-to-change-the-software-build-of-my-phone.4265223/

the_o2, McJader and Shailender Sharma like this.
  6. mcfozan
    Donut Apr 22, 2021

mcfozan , Apr 22, 2021 :
    Yeah someone there told me that he did switch from EU to India, by doing local update.
    You are right the EU 11.2.3.3 is old and I can't install it right now.. I will do my homework and see the MSMDownload tool and watch some videos, i never flashed an operating sysetem before.
    Thank you kind sir.

Caoimhín likes this.
  7. Caomhin

You're welcome 👍

McJader likes this.
  8. mcfozan
    Donut Apr 25, 2021

mcfozan , Apr 25, 2021 :
    I would like to announce that It worked, I downloaded the 11.2.4.4 EU from XDA Developers forums and did a local install. The "Cloud Service" application disappeared and Red Cable Club is gone.
    This is for people who asked the same question.

9. Caomhin
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 25, 2021

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Apr 25, 2021 :
    Glad to hear this worked for you, others will be able to utilise the info you have given. Thank you 👍

TheMystic likes this.
  10. NShankaraN
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 25, 2021

NShankaraN , via OnePlus 5 , Apr 25, 2021 :
    Is it possible to check the support for 5G bands ?

It will be interesting to know if there is any difference in 5G bands supported that you noticed in Indian ROM and EU ROM

11. TheMystic
    Lollipop Apr 26, 2021

TheMystic , Apr 26, 2021 :
    That's good. I have been thinking of doing the same at some point. But I read somewhere that OTA updates can run into a problem. Do let us know if you experience it.

The solution in that case would be to wait for the full ROM to be available (and OnePlus can take months to make that available on their website) and flash it from recovery.

Caoimhín likes this.
  12. TheUAlchemist
    Donut May 15, 2021

TheUAlchemist , via OnePlus 7T , May 15, 2021 :
    I am in a position to answer this
    I was a beta tester for OSS 11 builds for my OP7T
    Wanted to migrate on stable built after the release.
    Did the full rollback from India to EU version of oxygenOS
    Faced zero issues whatsoever.
    Just keep in mind that ROLLBACK package will wipe all of your deta.
    You will lose features like red cable club and cloud storage and all the useless stuff.
    I am not an expert but I think you will be able to update your device when a incremental update comes out which is higher than the current version.
    Maybe you will able to migrate from Indian to EU version without losing data.
    Someone please shed some light on this .