Can you use car wrap as a laptop skin?

1. sommersy
    KitKat May 22, 2016

sommersy , May 22, 2016 :
    Hey OP forum,

I have an old-ish Thinkpad. Although I do really like it, I hate the soft-touch material on the lid and how much dust and marks it picks up. I've researched skins for it, but the super-irregular shape of the lid and the cut-outs you need for the logos mean the few I've found are expensive as hell. So I'm now looking at 3M vinyl usually intended for cars instead. This gives me a better choice of design over generic skins (I'm thinking carbon fibre) and much better value for money per square meter (because I will mess up the cut-outs probably more than once). OTOH, I can't help wondering if it's really such as good idea. Could car-wrap add much more thickness, especially if I go with carbon-fibre? and while I'm on that subject, what is the difference between 3D and 4D CF?

TIA for answers, especially if you've ever wrapped your own laptop - or car - before and know what I'm getting into :cool:

Mods: I didn't think this thread was Tech-worthy, but if you want to move it there, go ahead :)

2. Tobikage
    General Support Expert Award 2021 May 22, 2016

Tobikage , May 22, 2016 :

It'll add to the thickness a bit....but not much to be THAT noticeable.

61932074.jpg

3. sommersy
    KitKat May 22, 2016

Hahaha! Another style I'd consider is aluminium or brushed metal effect, although most of those I've looked at seem too...glittery :expressionless:

Tobikage likes this.
  4. DanCtoo
    Honeycomb May 22, 2016

Last edited: May 22, 2016

sommersy and Ceasedd like this.
  5. sommersy
    KitKat May 22, 2016

link didn't work. Thanks for the thought, but buying a roll of car wrap would cost around half that.

6. Tobikage
    General Support Expert Award 2021 May 22, 2016

Tobikage , May 22, 2016 :
    Brushed Aluminum or CarbonFiber are the only way to go.

Go with what look you prefer :)

sommersy likes this.
  7. DanCtoo
    Honeycomb May 23, 2016

DanCtoo , May 23, 2016 :
    Costs...you only compare skin to car wrap in price but you should also consider time and effort spent in making the car wrap correct. I'd rather pay double for correct skin than mess up cheap car wrap with poor result :)
    The link does not work indeed as oneplus forum makes ******** for ali express
    Just look there and search for "thinkpad skin"

sommersy likes this.
  8. Superbrowndude
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 24, 2016

Superbrowndude , May 24, 2016 :

9. Superbrowndude
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 24, 2016

sommersy likes this.
  10. sidlittlefield
    KitKat May 24, 2016

11. sommersy
    KitKat May 24, 2016

sommersy , May 24, 2016 :
    15.6". My problem is the 'ramshorn'-style lid, which means it curves over the edge of the palm rest when it's closed. In other words, it does this:

[​IMG]

Normally, I really like this feature, but it might make it more difficult to wrap compared to your average laptop lid. Add the logos on the top;

[​IMG]

which obviously I want to show because of the little light in the 'i' of the Thinkpad, and you have yourself a pain in the butt to skin properly ;)

12. Superbrowndude
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 26, 2016

Superbrowndude , May 26, 2016 :
    If you are using a quality wrap a blow dryer will help you. Ive wrapped car mirrors and other curved items with the wrap before. It's not to hard just very time consuming and sorta a pain. You would get a large piece of wrap, cover all areas that you want, then trim the excess with a knife.