[Answered] Cannot delete SMS messages stored in the SIM card

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jelices
    Cupcake Feb 3, 2018

jelices , Feb 3, 2018 :
    Once the SIM card becomes full of SMS messages, the system reports this with a message telling that the SIM card is full and that some messages should be removed. Clicking on the message I get an error saying that the Messages application has crashed. Trying again the message changes but the result is the same. From there on, the error message is the same.

avnerelizarov likes this.
  2. jelices
    Cupcake Feb 3, 2018

jelices , Feb 3, 2018 :
    This issue seems similar to one I experienced with a Nexus 4. At some point in the OS upgrade, the system API for dealing with SMS messages in the SIM card was removed. Any application that was programmed to deal with SMS messages in the SIM card crashed. The API was restored a few releases after that.

I have tried installing the Messages App from Google Play. Also installing App´s with utilities for dealing with SMS messages in the SIM card. All crash at any attempt to delete the messages.

Messages get in the SIM card memory in the first place because certain SMS senders have the ability to mark the SMS messages so that they will be stored in SIM card memory. This happens with certain alarm models. Mine is a Visonic. It seems to be a feature to avoid the loss of important SMS messages and there is no way to configure it differently on the sender.

The only solution is to let the SIM card get full and then erase the SMS messages from there. This was working fine by the end of 2017. Now it is not working. I have a OnePlus 5 (A5000) with OxygenOS 5.0.2 and Android 8.0.0.

avnerelizarov likes this.
  3. Mich O.
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 26, 2018

Mich O. , Jun 26, 2018 :
    Hello @jelices,

This is from the OnePlus Bug Hunters.

We appreciate your feedback regarding this, however, the sim card message is not open for the user by design. Hence, the "SIM card was full" notification was removed, and user can not click it to open the SIM card message activity.

This thread will be marked as 'Fixed' and will be closed. Thank you and have a great one.