[Answered] Can't select custom default notification tone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parallax Abstraction
    Froyo Jan 2, 2017

Parallax Abstraction , Jan 2, 2017 :
    Go into the sound setting and try to pick a custom notification sound. The option to pick a local file is not there. Have tried putting sound files into Ringtones and Notifications folder. Files in the Ringtones folder are available to select for the phone tone but nothing is available for default notification tone. If I try to copy the file into the other Notifications folder where the stock sounds are, I am told the folder is read-only.

rala, Yurad95, sergiosboot and 6 others like this.
  2. jeetulalwani1211
    Cupcake Jan 2, 2017

Parallax Abstraction likes this.
  3. bmwbasti
    Eclair Jan 2, 2017

bmwbasti , Jan 2, 2017 :
    Same here! And it's a shame that we have to use a 3rd Party app for an absolute basic function...

4. Parallax Abstraction
    Froyo Jan 2, 2017

Parallax Abstraction , Jan 2, 2017 :
    Sorry, how do you mean? I have the paid version of ES File Manager on my phone. The problem is, any tones I put in the Ringtones or Notifications folder don't appear as available options when setting my default notification tone. There is another Notifications folder on my OP3T that has all the default tones in it but when I try to paste one of my custom tones in there, ES File Manager says the folder is read only. But if I go into the folder properties, it says it isn't read only. Am I missing something?

5. jeetulalwani1211
    Cupcake Jan 3, 2017

6. Parallax Abstraction
    Froyo Jan 3, 2017

7. bmwbasti
    Eclair Jan 3, 2017

bmwbasti , Jan 3, 2017 :
    No, there isn't!
    At least not on the 3t and in the settings for the notification sound.

airiartev likes this.
  8. skyaotic
    Cupcake Jan 4, 2017

skyaotic , Jan 4, 2017 :
    Can't choose a notification sound. only the SMS Notification sound has a local selection
    1483563840764.jpg

9. skyaotic
    Cupcake Jan 4, 2017

skyaotic , Jan 4, 2017 :
    only way around is to root the device and manually add the sound to the systems folder..

10. Parallax Abstraction
    Froyo Jan 5, 2017

Parallax Abstraction , Jan 5, 2017 :
    It makes no sense that they would allow you to change the default ringtone but not the notification tone. I'd say it has to be a bug but it's still here in OxygenOS 4. This isn't an iPhone, I want to be able to change stuff like this, certainly don't want to have to root a brand new device to do it.

11. kenny_chan
    Eclair Jan 9, 2017

kenny_chan , Jan 9, 2017 :
    I have exactly the same issue on my OP3 running Oxygen OS 4.0. I had a custom default notification set- it had the usual local file option at the top with my custom tone selected, I then selected one of the ones in the list, then the custom/local file option disappeared? Now all I have is the stock list of notification tones to choose from!!! This needs fixing ASAP!

12. Parallax Abstraction
    Froyo Jan 9, 2017

Parallax Abstraction , Jan 9, 2017 :
    Oh wait, so you did have the option but after selecting a stock one, it's now gone? I didn't notice if that happened to me or not, I just assumed the option was never there.

Since it doesn't appear OnePlus reads these threads (I'm not sure if they're supposed to or not), I opened a support case on this issue. I'll see what they say.

Spiritreader likes this.
  13. kenny_chan
    Eclair Jan 9, 2017

kenny_chan , Jan 9, 2017 :
    Yes I had a special sound as default, now I have to make do with one of these crappy default ones lol. Not the end of the world, I just changed the custom tone in WhatsApp itself to override. So just all other app notifications I'll have to put up with in the interim.

14. Spiritreader
    Cupcake Jan 10, 2017

Spiritreader , Jan 10, 2017 :
    This is driving me insane. How can they forget about something like fixing this :(

One of the most basic things in android, setting your favorite default notification sound.

Also the new picking mechanism is God awful when you have 1000+ songs on your phone which is all displayed instead of just the stuff in the notification folder.

15. tommiturbo
    Eclair Jan 10, 2017

tommiturbo , Jan 10, 2017 :
    That's exactly what's driving ME crazy!!!
    I am so done with updates and that in most cases a lot of convenient things and settings get disabled, changed or deleted...

As well as those accent colours, but that is a different thing

16. Parallax Abstraction
    Froyo Jan 10, 2017

Parallax Abstraction , Jan 10, 2017 :
    Wow, so I submitted a ticket to OnePlus support over this issue. Ticket was closed with no response and no notification to me. Just reopened it. What the Hell?!

hypercode likes this.
  17. Parallax Abstraction
    Froyo Jan 10, 2017

Parallax Abstraction , Jan 10, 2017 :
    So they opened the ticket again but the rep said that in fact, this function is no longer available in the new version. They didn't say if it's a bug or intentional (I can't think of a reason to intentionally limit the functionality in this way) but the rep said they would attempt to find a solution. I don't really know what that means but we'll see. If it's a bug that will get patched out, OK it shouldn't be there but that's fine. If it's something they intentionally removed and won't restore, that's a real problem for me.

hypercode likes this.
  18. Parallax Abstraction
    Froyo Jan 11, 2017

Parallax Abstraction , Jan 11, 2017 :
    So, to keep people up to date, the support rep I'm dealing with (named Sky) talked to the engineers and confirmed the inability to select a default notification tone is in fact, a bug. It's not functionality that was purposefully removed. A bit annoying but if it's something they're planning to fix, that's fine by me and I can wait. I've asked for confirmation that this is on the list of things to be fixed in the next Oxygen version.

19. tommiturbo
    Eclair Jan 12, 2017

tommiturbo , Jan 12, 2017 :
    Great news also for me. Good, that they are (at least now) aware of this problem (and others hopefully) and are going to fix it. Since we couldn't do anything until then, I think we'll have to deal with those notification tones for now..
    Thanks a lot for posting your response here.
    (How could you reach the support? I thought the only thing is to write problems here in the forum.)

20. Parallax Abstraction
    Froyo Jan 12, 2017

Parallax Abstraction , Jan 12, 2017 :
    Nope, you can definitely submit a ticket to support. Just go to oneplus.net, click Support at the top, scroll down and you'll see Submit A Ticket. The support response times are pretty slow (apparently a common complaint) but the two issues I'm trying to solve right now are minor so that's fine for me.

Molitor likes this.