Capacitive back menu button on the right

1. krosola
    Eclair Apr 24, 2014

krosola , Apr 24, 2014 :
    First off let me say I honestly believe this is a game changer. I've never been this excited about a phone since the original iPhones release. It seems it always takes a new player to change the game. This phone demonstrates the true potential of Android as an open source platform. All these android hardware manufactures do is add impractical gimmicky skin features to use in their marketing. The worst part is that they are just as incompetent in making hardware. The hardware is usually plain ugly with little effort or thought put in the form. There are a few exceptions, but those are plagued with fundamental technical issues. The Oneplus/Cyanogenmod team understands this pain, and seems determined to show the way. Honestly it's easy, learn from the consumers. And that's how I see them, they are the consumers. I believe apples strategy of developing software for your hardware is the way to go and if the final version of this phone is released with no issues, I believe they have the power to steer the whole industry, including Android itself.

One final thing, please tell me I can change the arrangement of the capacitive menu keys.

JustlikeTony and Andreas like this.
  2. jak
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 24, 2014

jak , Apr 24, 2014 :
    What, no? How should that be possible? They are fixed.

3. jak
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 24, 2014

jak , Apr 24, 2014 :
    What you can probably do is reassign the keys to different functions, so they work as you want them to, but you cannot change the displayed key.

Or you can disable them and use on-screen keys, which you can order as you want.

teqnix likes this.
  4. kkempton
    Eclair Apr 24, 2014

kkempton , Apr 24, 2014 :
    I guess in theory you could tweak the software to make the menu key act as the back key and the back key as the menu. Personally, I will be using the on screen keys; unless I am watching movie.

5. JustlikeTony
    Honeycomb Apr 24, 2014

JustlikeTony , Apr 24, 2014 :
    You can do that with software but then you'll need to press the back button for the menu, you can also use on-screen buttons, you can everything with them

6. Andreas
    Gingerbread Apr 24, 2014

Andreas , Apr 24, 2014 :
    /Agreed

It would be very confusing to have onscreen keys where the back button is at the left site, and capacitive keys where the it's at the right side - which is no doubt very usefull if you're lefthanded, but I am not lefthanded (bonuspoints to whoever gets that reference)

7. krosola
    Eclair Apr 25, 2014

krosola , Apr 25, 2014 :
    I didn't realize that the capacitive menu keyswere marked, from the videos i've seen they weren't noticeable. So if you are able to assign the menu button to be the back button and have the brightness of those keys the lowest possible, it would be great. Does anyone know if that is possible?

8. Deactivated User
    Apr 25, 2014

9. krosola
    Eclair Apr 25, 2014

10. Ryan
    KitKat Apr 25, 2014

11. Gery S.
    Eclair Apr 25, 2014

Gery S. , Apr 25, 2014 :
    I'm with all of you, the arrangement of the capacitive buttons is crap!
    It should be like the onscreen buttons.
    Hopefully you can assign other functions to the capacitive ones and make them completely disappear!!!

12. Mkii
    Cupcake Apr 25, 2014

13. morrislee
    Gingerbread Apr 25, 2014

morrislee , Apr 25, 2014 :
    I think it makes sense as you typically use the back button more often than others, so it should be easier to access. But i am a nexus user, will take some getting used to. I prefer capacitive buttons for better full screen applications such as remote desktop and games

14. GreenUser
    Gingerbread Apr 25, 2014

GreenUser , Apr 25, 2014 :
    To fully use the OPO's 5.5 display, I will most probably use the capacitive buttons - else, you're just wasting that space. Either I get used to the strange layout, or some intelligent tech-freak figures out a way to change their function :)

15. mikelebz
    Gingerbread Apr 25, 2014

mikelebz , Apr 25, 2014 :
    I have never used on-screen buttons. Seemed silly to me to use them on my HTC One X, as it already has capacitive. I was interested to try them when I was planning on getting the nexus, but am very content with my capacitive. The back is on the left though, so it will take some getting used to!

16. bullyboybg
    Froyo Apr 25, 2014

17. Waterdroid
    Lollipop Apr 25, 2014

Waterdroid , Apr 25, 2014 :
    I found that the capacitive menu button kinda looks like the appswitcher button, so I'll just remap that menu button to open the appswitcher and probably switch the onscreen back and appswitcher buttons so I won't get confused when going from cap > OSB and from OSB > cap.

18. krosola
    Eclair Apr 25, 2014

krosola , Apr 25, 2014 :
    I guess people have different preferences for the layout, and i get that they had to make a choice but why on earth are there two different layouts for the capacitive vs on-screen?
    I understand the argument for the back capactive button being on the right as it is more frequently used, but it gives a confusing experience. It makes more sense to me to have it on the left as it is the natural place you would go for. I don't think it will be harder to reach infact it will be easier as the screen is not very wide which is great and placing your thumb on the right side is an awkward and difficult position. It would be much more stable in your hands going for the left side.

May I Taste and Gery S. like this.
  19. morjesta
    Froyo Sep 27, 2014

morjesta , Sep 27, 2014 :
    How about this for the OPO2, just plain dots and the option to set them up as you please? OPO2-CB-1.jpg

teqnix likes this.
  20. droid.tran
    Eclair Oct 7, 2014

droid.tran , Oct 7, 2014 :
    On Windows computers, the minimize/maximize/close button trios are on the right by default. On the Mac computers, they are on the left by default. On Linux computers, user can choose left or right placement.

I think in the same platform, the button placement should be consistent for the benefit of most users. However customization is available for those who want the buttons to be placed as they wish.