Car charger tear down; anyone done that?

1. TraxXavier
    Gingerbread Nov 17, 2016

TraxXavier , Nov 17, 2016 :
    I just got the car charger but I'm not going to use it with a car.
    The device specifies an input voltage of 12V and 24V and a short test confirmed that it also can handle anything in between.

I want to use it with a power bank for laptops that gives out 19V for that I would like to minimize its size... i.e. get ridd of the casing.

Hence my question: did anyone opened the car charger gracefully? That is without breaking plastic or creating major scratches.
    I think there must be screws under the front plate with the USB plug, but I'm not sure. And I would like not to break it ;)
    So if anyone knows how the casing opens please tell me :)

PS: I know that this voids my warranty but the thing costs only 30€ it does not need a warranty anyways ;)

Cheers
    Trax

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016

2. TraxXavier
    Gingerbread Nov 19, 2016

TraxXavier , Nov 19, 2016 :
    Ok here is the how to:

1. Use a hair dryer to heat up the from plate harboring the USB port
    2. Than use a screw driver to lift the plate off, try getting in through the usb port, but keep in mind that there is a plastic brim that is between the port and the plate we want to lift of so take care where to put the screw driver. Try not to scratch anything.
    3. Once the front plate is removed you can use a small philips head to remove 3 screws than you can remove a transparent plastic part with the gray brim mentioned earlier.
    4. Now you see the PCB but we are not quite ready to extract it. First you need to remove the large metal ring that makes a good portion of the housing. It is glued down but not to strong, you can pull it off upwards if you get enough grip. If you are going to use plyers put something soft in between to prevent scratches.
    5. Once you pulled of the metal part there is only one more thing to do, get the two plastic parts apart that make up the casing, they are glued together but if you insert a flat head screw driver along the connection lines at the top (that previously was covered by the metal ring) you can get it apart without scratching the part of the plastic casing that is visible from the outside.
    I did not manage to avoid some scratches at this part but since it is covered when the charger is resembled IMHO its fine. you can sand of the scratches to make it look better but since its hidden it really does not matter.
    6. Now you can remove the PCB the tip and the side contacts will fall out as they are only hold in place by preasure. The springs are soldered to the PCB.

The springs holding the side contacts are also used as a heat sink for a large inductivity which surprised me quite a bit as first I thought it was just a linear regulator, but that's good... I measured at 19V input voltage it takes only 1A to charge the phone with its 3.xA

3. rasmusstol
    Cupcake Jan 19, 2017

rasmusstol , Jan 19, 2017 :
    Hmm, maybe I'll mod one into my computer when I'm building a new one, just waiting for ryzen to launch :)

4. Rahul12345666
    Cupcake Mar 29, 2017

Rahul12345666 , Mar 29, 2017 :
    Can you post a picture of the pcb im thinking to mod it nd attach it to 5v 5a boost converter (preferable) or buck!

5. _DEDSEC_
    Jelly Bean Mar 31, 2017

_DEDSEC_ , Mar 31, 2017 :
    I used 2 wires soldiering in the side pins and the curved head in the front, and made a hole in my DADs Jeep door ( my door of course:) and clammed it in, now I can just plug my cable and I got a dash door ready at disposal, but BE WARED I accidentally left my phone in the charging over night an it drained the car's battery!.

6. jbaldacchino
    Cupcake Sep 4, 2019

jbaldacchino , Sep 4, 2019 :
    Thanks, after days of futile prying, twisting and pulling, I followed your guide and managed to get to the PCB :)

My brother just had two of these chargers dying on him, so I'm thinking there must be something wrong with his car's cigarette lighter port.

Anything you think I should look out for?

Can anyone suggest any tests I can run on the dash charger to find the faulty component?